Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

A no guild server.

• 727 posts
    April 27, 2022 4:36 PM PDT

A server with no guilds.   Everyone is a lone player with just a few locals you play with. Mostly you just randomly join any other lonely souls.  If you join a guild all your weapons turn into rusty spoons. Pantheon: Embracing the Sadness 

• 394 posts
    April 28, 2022 8:38 AM PDT

Would be interesting, but ultimately users would just guild up on an external application like Discord anyhow.

• 1287 posts
    April 28, 2022 2:43 PM PDT

I don't think they would, they'd just create characters on a server that allows guilds. 

• 560 posts
    April 29, 2022 9:53 AM PDT

Love your posts StoneFish keep them up. Oh and this idea of yours while funny to think about is well not such a good idea.

• 2419 posts
    April 29, 2022 2:22 PM PDT

Just saying a server cannot have guilds will not, in any way whatsoever, prevent players from acting like they are in a guild.  Discord, for one thing, will give players the 'guild level' communication that in-game guild channels would normally offer.

You cannot force players to just randomly group with people if they do not want to do that.  Thankfull we'll never see such a server for this game.

• 97 posts
    April 29, 2022 4:15 PM PDT

So we have a group-oriented game removing the ability to group at a meta level *honk honk*

• 690 posts
    April 30, 2022 11:58 AM PDT

StoneFish said:

A server with no guilds.   Everyone is a lone player with just a few locals you play with. Mostly you just randomly join any other lonely souls.  If you join a guild all your weapons turn into rusty spoons. Pantheon: Embracing the Sadness 

I would main in the no guilds server.

There's another thread here about how pvp creates toxicity and in my mind pvp is nothing compared to guilds.

To make your guild the most powerful/efficient you have to prioritize things that do not promote fun for everyone. It generally ruins my experience, even if I don't actually join the big guild, and brings the same problems big corporations bring to our world. It creats a rift between the rich who are willing to do whatever it takes, and everyone else who want a piece of the pie and often find themselves having to embrace the methodology of the rich if they actually want to get that piece of the pie.

You could still play with your actual friends just fine, guilds are not required for that. I would absolutely love a no guilds server.

Of course, as others have pointed out, the try-hard guild lovers would find a way to ruin that server with their no-life, power-gaming strategies anyways.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 30, 2022 12:01 PM PDT
    • 97 posts
    April 30, 2022 8:28 PM PDT

Perhaps we should have a no-text-chat server too? Everyone can communicate through /emotes

• 690 posts
    April 30, 2022 11:57 PM PDT

Jiub said:

Perhaps we should have a no-text-chat server too? Everyone can communicate through /emotes

yea, we have plenty of immersive games for swords and magic, no games have tried to remind us what it was like before humanity had language. aah beautiful, immersive, frustration.

even so, please don't haha

• 173 posts
    May 1, 2022 7:50 AM PDT

StoneFish said:

A server with no guilds

From a practical point of view, the chance of VR ever releasing a server that has a No Guilds ruleset is nonzero.

A part of me likes the idea of a No Guilds ruleset because I usually gravitate to underdog/small guilds over top guilds. The idea of no guilds would be that we are “all in this together” and we, the server, would be one big happy family. But would it really play out like that? Doubtful.

• 727 posts
    May 1, 2022 8:30 AM PDT

PSA: this was a post in jest.  I have no faith that a social game created by and for social animals that have conquered the local solar system because of their social skills and ability to coordinate and cooperate collectively would actually be taken with any semblance of seriousness. 

Please feel free to question any posts by StoneFish as to their qualities and tone.  I have many mental problems that the doctors are curious about but they haven't caught me yet. So have fun out there you terribly wonderful crazy dolts. Joining a guild if for losers, please join PantheonPlus guild. 

• 258 posts
    May 1, 2022 1:20 PM PDT

StoneFish said:

PSA: this was a post in jest.  I have no faith that a social game created by and for social animals that have conquered the local solar system because of their social skills and ability to coordinate and cooperate collectively would actually be taken with any semblance of seriousness. 

Please feel free to question any posts by StoneFish as to their qualities and tone.  I have many mental problems that the doctors are curious about but they haven't caught me yet. So have fun out there you terribly wonderful crazy dolts. Joining a guild if for losers, please join PantheonPlus guild. 

Bro! Don't mind what people say sometimes bro. I know your outcome with how this thread went and I understand exactly what you mean. But don't take things too harshly.. I personally don't really comment on peoples post too much as I'm also wary of the outcomes that it might have so I'm super choosy of what I write. I mean, while I'm totally not 1 small bit opposed to your idea.. I wouldn't mind it.. but in reality with the known genre of MMORPG now a days is difficult to get certain reactions from someone when not a lot of people are open minded about what could be fun to some people... I'd join the server if 1) People were willing to run together as a community, and 2) we'd all help each other out and don't put any butts to the cons of it, not saying there is but there might be.

I think we all need to be a bit more open minded and rationalize how some things might be good for a community  like StoneFish and myself that would be willing to go lengths to have a sense of comradery, because these things matter to us / some people. I think a no Guild server would be great... as I'm open to any type of play style.

This post was edited by Arzoth at May 1, 2022 1:25 PM PDT
    • 173 posts
    May 2, 2022 6:53 AM PDT

StoneFish said:

I love your posts and the blurred line between reality and fantasy, between serious and joke. The dream is still alive… You are not the StoneFish that writes the song God yet!!!

• 135 posts
    May 2, 2022 7:40 AM PDT

StoneFish said:

Ultima Online had "no guilds" at first. People still made guilds. You'd coordinate your armor colors and everyone wearing a blue robe with a red and grey apron was in the same guild.

• 1287 posts
    May 2, 2022 7:43 AM PDT

What a creative and realistic solution!  People come up with the coolest stuff when they're left to their own devices :)

• 258 posts
    May 2, 2022 8:56 AM PDT

Byproducts said:

StoneFish said:

Ultima Online had "no guilds" at first. People still made guilds. You'd coordinate your armor colors and everyone wearing a blue robe with a red and grey apron was in the same guild.

That sounds gangsta bruh!

• 2756 posts
    May 3, 2022 4:09 AM PDT

As usual, Stoney addresses a serious issue with insightful, but ridiculous, prose hehe.

The 'guild thing' is indeed a double-edged sword.  The whole point of MMOs is for communities to work together to do more than they could alone, but, of course, power corrupts...

There are 'baddies' that will abuse the power their organisation affords them and 'not-so-baddies' that will go along with 'unpleasant' behaviour if it gets results for them.

The serious point is, VR need to use their experience and expertease to mitigate the negative effects they know very well guilds can cause if unchecked.

VR have spoken about it sometimes. We have heard general talk about better itemisation spread and 'boss fight' mechanics.  It seems they are keen to not allow monopolisation, blocking and other guild-level griefing, but we haven't heard or seen much specifics around the 'infamy' system or similar measures intended to curtail potential problems specific to guilds.

There is a long way to go, yet, and, as with most things, I believe VR 'are well aware' of the issues. I hope they will take it seriously and not just trust to concepts like 'community policing' because, as we know, that just doesn't work.

As this thread notes, you could even ban guilds completely and people would work out a way.