Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Elden Ring's and Stagger

• 441 posts
    April 8, 2022 12:39 PM PDT

Much like Joppa, I have fallen in love with Elden Ring. Watching his discussion on Soloing it got me thinking more about what is awesome in Elden Ring that MMOs just don’t have. What if mobs in Pantheon had a stagger bar. Each skill that did damage could have a value to what it would take from the stagger bar. A wizards big DD could add more then say their standard mana building DD. Collectively a team could work on that in fights with low end mobs and bosses. 

What do you think?

• 202 posts
    April 8, 2022 3:47 PM PDT

I feel like this mechanic could be abused.... not sure how exactly but.... players will be players and find a way to abuse literally everything.

• 3852 posts
    April 8, 2022 5:41 PM PDT

"What do you think?"

I think I have no idea what you are suggesting. What does a stagger bar do and why is it a useful addition to the mob having a health bar - and falling over and twitching when that bar is used up?

• 441 posts
    April 8, 2022 5:56 PM PDT
    Sorry, stagger is a mechanic that by types of attacks you cause the mob to be in a "downed" or "stunned" state for a very shot period of time. It requires some thought between doing more damage or using attacks to avoid a bosses phase. It's very tatial and adds a layer or thought.
    • 256 posts
    April 8, 2022 11:10 PM PDT

I think stagger may already be planned for the game. Joppa has talked about putting enemies into various states, and one of the states is called "downed". Technically this would be a way to stagger enemies.

As for stagger bars, not a fan. From playing Lost Ark and dealing with that mechanic, I would rather not see the overuse of DPS race mechanics, especially when they are usually tied to one-shot mechanics.  I think that stagger bars promote required abilities and can limit player choice. 

This post was edited by FatedEmperor at April 8, 2022 11:10 PM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    April 9, 2022 8:19 AM PDT

Many MMOs have attacks that do less damage but make up for this by stunning the enemy in some way. The effect ranging from a minor debuff to a complete stun. Duration normally short. Perhaps ended if the enemy takes damage, perhaps not; perhaps with a percentage chance for an attack to break the enemy out of it.

Stagger sounds like a way to do the same thing but rather than being based on a single attack, based on the cumulative impact of multiple attacks. 

My guess is Joppa was talking about the traditional approach of individual attacks putting enemies into a range of conditions called by various names such as stun, daze, off-balance etc. rather than specifically having a bar but perhaps not.

• 56 posts
    April 9, 2022 10:41 AM PDT
    Lost Ark also has a stagger bar mechanic with some of their larger enemies. I could see a mechanic like this feeling appropriate for some boss encounters - more of a dps check to avoid a hard hitting ability from going off during a small window. Keep in mind if a party/raid has to dump resources to meet the dps/stagger check they might not have enough resources to capitalize on the enemies downed-state afterwards. Pantheon looks like it will have slower more thoughtful game play paced by resources.

I don't think a stagger mechanic would fit in with every boss fight but game designers shouldn't be afraid to take inspiration from other games and implement them into Pantheon in order to make interesting encounters.
    • 441 posts
    April 11, 2022 12:29 PM PDT

FatedEmperor said:

I think stagger may already be planned for the game. Joppa has talked about putting enemies into various states, and one of the states is called "downed". Technically this would be a way to stagger enemies.

As for stagger bars, not a fan. From playing Lost Ark and dealing with that mechanic, I would rather not see the overuse of DPS race mechanics, especially when they are usually tied to one-shot mechanics.  I think that stagger bars promote required abilities and can limit player choice. 

I hope you are right. Be it on select bosses or more a common mechanic. Could be a fun way to add depth to combat. Making you think what skill to use next DPS or maybe due to the bosses mechanics, maybe the team fociing on Staggering the boss more.