Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

But I like cheese in a spray can.

• 727 posts
    February 23, 2022 2:12 PM PST

Regional Cheeses

Cheese is one of humanities greatest achievements. Now one of the things that makes cheese so bloody fantastic is that each area of the world has a unique cheese. The history of cheese is almost a history of us.  

So in Pantheon can we have regional cheeses?

A cheese that doesn't drop from mobs but must be purchased from an NPC, or gifted as a quest reward. NOT player crafted, at least not the regional ones. The cheeses can be powerful and desired but the supply limited. They should be similar to real world cheeses so I can buy some and eat the correct cheese while visiting a zone.

Hmmm cheese. 

This post was edited by StoneFish at February 23, 2022 2:13 PM PST
    • 2074 posts
    February 23, 2022 2:36 PM PST

Does the Banana-Nut Bread know you're drooling over the cheese?

Or do you tell each of them that THEY are your favorite treat of all time??

Inquiring minds want to know!

• 727 posts
    February 23, 2022 2:42 PM PST
    • This Halfling desires all things savory.
    • I get snacky when gaming
    • Dining is a binding action 
    • Banana nut bread knows my truest love
    • 252 posts
    February 23, 2022 3:44 PM PST

I'm not a fan of most cheeses in RL, but change the premise to meads, ales, and other fermented delights and I am there with you. 

I like where your mind's at StoneFish.

• 256 posts
    February 23, 2022 4:05 PM PST

I don't know about cheese, but I do like the concept of regional-specific crafting items for the various professions. I think that regional "locked" cooking reagents cold be a good thing that ties into racial culture, background, and lore. I think it would be awesome to see recipes that require various region-locked comedies to craft. 

• 256 posts
    February 23, 2022 4:05 PM PST

Er sorry for some reason the above response double posted, so please ignore this one.

This post was edited by FatedEmperor at February 23, 2022 4:05 PM PST
    • 273 posts
    February 23, 2022 4:15 PM PST

It's not really Amberfaet Mead unless it comes from the Amberfaet region of Kingsreach. If it wasn't made in Amberfaet, it's just honeywine.

• 150 posts
    February 23, 2022 5:38 PM PST

Can't really have a ratkin race without also having cheese, or traps for that matter. Wasted opportunity otherwise.

This post was edited by Leevolen at February 23, 2022 5:43 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    February 23, 2022 6:49 PM PST

StoneFish said:

Regional Cheeses

Cheese is one of humanities greatest achievements. Now one of the things that makes cheese so bloody fantastic is that each area of the world has a unique cheese. The history of cheese is almost a history of us.  

So in Pantheon can we have regional cheeses?

A cheese that doesn't drop from mobs but must be purchased from an NPC, or gifted as a quest reward. NOT player crafted, at least not the regional ones. The cheeses can be powerful and desired but the supply limited. They should be similar to real world cheeses so I can buy some and eat the correct cheese while visiting a zone.

Hmmm cheese. 

Regional?  Why not racial cheeses..

Elves = Camembert
    Dwarves = Bleu Cheese
    Humans = White Cheddar
    Halflings = Gruyere
    Ogres = Muenster
    Skar = Limburger
    Dark Myr = Havarti
    Archai = Halloumni
    Gnomes = Cheez Whiz

• 2074 posts
    February 23, 2022 7:23 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Regional?  Why not racial cheeses..

Elves = Camembert
    Dwarves = Bleu Cheese
    Humans = White Cheddar
    Halflings = Gruyere
    Ogres = Muenster
    Skar = Limburger
    Dark Myr = Havarti
    Archai = Halloumni
    Gnomes = Cheez Whiz

Do I perceive a slight disdain for the Gnomes in your response?

Good idea though, we should have both.

• 295 posts
    February 24, 2022 12:30 AM PST

Pretty cool idea. I'm calling it now. When Pantheon is released you will be making a special announcement in the Fan Creation section titled, 'Stonefish's Stupendous and Glorious Gazetteer of Terminus' filled with info such as this.

I'm partial to regular or sharp cheddar myself, so I'll be expecting a complementary Thronefastian Tray. 

Cheers!

• 727 posts
    February 24, 2022 1:00 PM PST

Haha.  Perfect, love this community, cheeses are a hit and we have a draft template for race/regional cheeses.   So, ya the Gnomes are a quandary of sorts, I would guess they could produce a dried cheese powder that is blown into the face of the customer? Seems rude but regional difference and all that. 

The Skar having limburger cheese is perfection and I'll be sure to have some on hand and crack the seal of it the moment I first walk into the Skar home city.  

Edit: it occurred to me that it may not be clear for some.  limburger cheese is stinky, like bad BO or feet, but for some reason tastes great.  Like how parmesan cheese smells like vomit but tastes incredible on pasta

This post was edited by StoneFish at February 24, 2022 1:52 PM PST
    • 2138 posts
    February 25, 2022 8:40 PM PST

I can dig it, How deep should it get?

All cognac's are brandys but not all brandy's are cognacs.

You cannot buy champagne made in California which has arguably the best grapes in the world. Sparkling wine? sure, but NOT champagne...thanks to agreed global tarrif/trade agrrements.  They can't call it champagne because champagne only comes from the champagne region in France- give whatever branding and hype you were brought up with associated with "champagne" but in California- they call it sparkling wine- they can ONLY call it sparkling wine even if it tastes better for all you "bottle shock" movie watchers.

Don't get me started on gorgonzola, which is not blue cheese. Because only gorgonzola has the penicillin bacterium hiding in it's blue veins. Silencio Bruno! *speaks with hands*

Talk about the coveted sourdough starter, carefully plucked from its origin and coddled like precious cargo across great distances just so the bread at home can have that same tangy zip- I mean

is it a racial secret? only purchasable in racial towns? highly perishable(doesnt travel well unless baked/crafted) creating a need to re-visit racial towns from time to time? for the non-crafters are there specialty wares only visible at a high faction check at a significant cost that makes traveling to the racial cities worth while for a slice of said cheese? 

• 303 posts
    March 7, 2022 7:06 AM PST

I think they should make up new cheeses then. In WoW there are regional/racial cheeses and its always really weird because cheeses in the real world are so heavily associated with specific cultures and regions. There's a Stormwind Brie, for example. Is Stormwind in France? Its completely impossible for me to think of Brie and not associate it with France as opposed to Stormwind, for example.

Maybe its less weird to Americans where "bootleg" cheese is normal/legal but as a European I can't really take a Darnassian Bleu or an Alterac Swiss seriously.