Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Matters Most To You?

• 9115 posts
    February 7, 2022 3:51 AM PST

What Matters Most To You - Burst (Damage, Healing, Aggro) or Sustained (Damage, Healing, Aggro) and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 902 posts
    February 7, 2022 5:41 AM PST

As a ranger, sustained damage; just enough to keep the hps going down, not enough to grab agro. I will use heavy damage to pull a mob off a squishy and take it to the tank or when soloing or grouping with a small group.

• 258 posts
    February 7, 2022 7:10 AM PST

I'd say, overall, bursting. Because it is commonly known that once the burst is going the sustained should follow up.

• 2419 posts
    February 7, 2022 8:07 AM PST

Sustained. It is more predictable, more reliable, and as the name implied, is something that lasts for the long-term.  Burst anything is usually something that is less efficient so causes excessive downtime.  That isn't to say that burst doesn't have its place because you do need burst to quickly respond to some event/situation quickly, after which you settle back into the sustained to finish the fight.

• 394 posts
    February 7, 2022 8:47 AM PST

If Im not playing DPS then sustained.

If I am playing DPS then burst... its just more fun.

• 326 posts
    February 7, 2022 9:01 AM PST

If burst is a rearranged sustain rotation in a time of need/dps check, then both are necessary I would say.

• 5 posts
    February 7, 2022 8:26 PM PST

Definitely burst. It's fun to plan or fish out for those big monstrous hits. Sustained in the sense of a monk just letting loose with hundred fists or something on an opponent though is also fun.

...hrm.

• 46 posts
    February 7, 2022 9:32 PM PST

Kilsin said:

What Matters Most To You - Burst (Damage, Healing, Aggro) or Sustained (Damage, Healing, Aggro) and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

I think sustained damage is important. I also think Burst damage is important. Being able is build up significant bust damage over time by using abilities

is what matters most to me as a ranger.

• 220 posts
    February 8, 2022 12:20 AM PST

depend on the job I'm playing. 

Dps sustain

Mage burst

• 3852 posts
    February 8, 2022 8:05 AM PST

Burst. Other than a long boss fight in a group, sustained damage tends to be less useful. The fight is usually over well before the total of sustained damage equals the burst total.

• 560 posts
    February 8, 2022 9:57 AM PST

Speaking to just burst damage:

One of the cool things about having the ability to do a lot of damage all at once is it can almost be like a whole new ability.

Consider you are a wizard fighting with a group and things have been going well killing monsters at a steady rate. Pulls have been going well no extra adds etc. As the wizard though you have been holding man in reserve just using enough to do constant good DPS. But on the next pull half way though the fight a roamer attacks. You do not have CC and if not handled correctly you could wipe. This is when that burst damage can almost feel like its own power. You start burning mana as fast as you can ignoring any attempt to being efficient with it and nuke the original mob to death almost instantly.

Forgive the bad attempt at describing the scenario but you get the idea. In EQ a wizard sometime could feel like this.

• 80 posts
    February 8, 2022 11:52 AM PST

For fighter classes (especially DPS): Burst.

For spell classes (especially clerics): Sustained (mana and HP sustained healing is usually more effective in the long run than burst).

For mages sustained damage is more useful and saves a spell slot or two in succeeding rounds of combat.

• 363 posts
    February 8, 2022 12:43 PM PST

Burst for PVP, sustained for PVE.

• 96 posts
    February 8, 2022 3:52 PM PST

Burst definitely, but as a higher cost. Your window of opportunity to do damage can close quickly. I like criticals to feel rare but not overpowered. 

Sustained DPS the boss and burn down the adds!

• 57 posts
    February 8, 2022 9:14 PM PST
    I mean it depends. Burst damage is generally looked down on. There’s always the joke of the AFK wizard in the back but each has their place. In every day grouping you want consistent damage for the most part. When you’re fighting high damage low hp you want burst. When you’re fighting enraging or varied dps mobs burst is very functional. It’s up to the devs to make that balance work and give the cannons a place.
    • 4 posts
    February 10, 2022 3:00 AM PST

I like burst because it's needed to change the direction of a fight when things become chaotic; and it's fun. Faster kill times with higher sustained dps could be outweighed by more wipes that couldn't be prevented due to lack of burst.