Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Unity buys Peter Jackson's vfx firm Weta Digital

• 2050 posts
    November 9, 2021 10:26 PM PST

(yes, THAT Peter Jackson)

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59229995

Weta, which was co-funded by Sir Peter in 1993, is known for creating animated characters such as Avatar's Neyriti, Gollum in the Lord of the Rings film series and Caesar from Planet of the Apes.

In a statement, Unity said it will "put Weta's incredibly exclusive and sophisticated visual effects tools into the hands of millions of creators and artists around the world" enabling them to shape the future of the metaverse.

Weta Digital's website, with their own announcement:

https://www.wetafx.co.nz/

• 258 posts
    November 10, 2021 8:57 AM PST

Jothany said:

(yes, THAT Peter Jackson)

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59229995

Weta, which was co-funded by Sir Peter in 1993, is known for creating animated characters such as Avatar's Neyriti, Gollum in the Lord of the Rings film series and Caesar from Planet of the Apes.

In a statement, Unity said it will "put Weta's incredibly exclusive and sophisticated visual effects tools into the hands of millions of creators and artists around the world" enabling them to shape the future of the metaverse.

Weta Digital's website, with their own announcement:

https://www.wetafx.co.nz/

Woah! About freaking time! This is great news!

• 2050 posts
    November 10, 2021 10:38 AM PST

It certainly seems that Unity is likely be become even more valuable as a close collaborator of VR than they are currently. While it may or may not have a big impact on Pantheon in the near term, it could lead to an improvement in graphics quality for some expansion in the future.

I just hope that Unity didn't take on a ton of debt to do it. These are volatile economic times for any company to do that.

• 58 posts
    November 12, 2021 10:51 AM PST

Jothany said:

It certainly seems that Unity is likely be become even more valuable as a close collaborator of VR than they are currently. While it may or may not have a big impact on Pantheon in the near term, it could lead to an improvement in graphics quality for some expansion in the future.

I just hope that Unity didn't take on a ton of debt to do it. These are volatile economic times for any company to do that.

Good take. Definitely don't want the community getting into a hype frenzy about this announcement, since it likely will either not affect the project at all, or just minimally, and probably not for a long time. I've yet to see the extent of what tooling is going to be available in Unity from Weta, but I can't imagine it's going to be game, let alone MMO ready in time for Pantheon's release.

• 258 posts
    November 12, 2021 11:31 AM PST

DMHarms said:

Jothany said:

Good take. Definitely don't want the community getting into a hype frenzy about this announcement, since it likely will either not affect the project at all, or just minimally, and probably not for a long time. I've yet to see the extent of what tooling is going to be available in Unity from Weta, but I can't imagine it's going to be game, let alone MMO ready in time for Pantheon's release.

Unity system could be used for cinematics. I would really love to see some dope azz cut scenes between questing or raiding.

• 3852 posts
    November 20, 2021 3:18 PM PST

Unity improves graphical effects with new options. 

VR says that it is reprogramming in order to be able to use these and Pantheon will be even more wonderful. This reprogramming will enable content to be created more rapidly and so we need not worry about its affect on the timing of release.

You heard it here first. Or maybe not first I haven't checked the Announcement section today.

• 295 posts
    December 28, 2021 11:58 PM PST

I'm hoping that VR can use this technology to make an awesome cinematic for Pantheon. I was entranced by and moved to purchase WoW after seeing that legendary first cinematic. It still holds up after all these years. 

This post was edited by Dikenzu at December 29, 2021 12:00 AM PST