Forums » News and Announcements

June 3rd Development Stream!

• VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    June 1, 2021 1:54 PM PDT

Join us Thursday, June 3rd for our monthly Development Update. This month the team takes a deeper look into the tactical decision making of NPCs in combat.

It's all happening 6pm PST @ twitch.tv/visionaryrealms. 

This post was edited by Roenick at June 1, 2021 1:59 PM PDT
    • 94 posts
    June 1, 2021 2:08 PM PDT

Looking forward to it! I would love to see some of these tactical decisions play out in real time...preferably in front of another group of streamers ;)

• 2051 posts
    June 1, 2021 4:32 PM PDT

Can't wait to scout out mob tactics! I'll be there taking notes.

• 724 posts
    June 2, 2021 8:53 AM PDT

Sweet. This is juicy info topic.

• 3852 posts
    June 2, 2021 8:58 AM PDT

Good topic though the term NPC raises a semantic point at least in my mind. What is a NPC? To me it is a sentient - a non-player *character*. It is not just any mobile creature (the origin of the term mob as many of us know). If I fight an orc I am not sure it is truly a NPC. Not if it is just a generic orc with no personal name. That is not a "character" to me. If I fight a pack of wolves they most certainly are not NPCs to me.

• 1860 posts
    June 2, 2021 10:45 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Good topic though the term NPC raises a semantic point at least in my mind. What is a NPC? To me it is a sentient - a non-player *character*. It is not just any mobile creature (the origin of the term mob as many of us know). If I fight an orc I am not sure it is truly a NPC. Not if it is just a generic orc with no personal name. That is not a "character" to me. If I fight a pack of wolves they most certainly are not NPCs to me.

It's any non-player.  I think you are focusing to much on the word "character".  

• 2752 posts
    June 2, 2021 11:32 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Weird stance on what an NPC is. I don't see why any nameless orc or even wolves would somehow not qualify as NPCs (the term mob is about NPCs as well). Are unnamed characters in any other media somehow not characters? 

• 8 posts
    June 2, 2021 12:23 PM PDT

Super Excited!! Looking forward to watching and learning how the NPC will adapt to player moves and decisions.

This post was edited by Vardoc87 at June 2, 2021 12:24 PM PDT
    • 947 posts
    June 2, 2021 2:32 PM PDT

Oh man... is that an image of a Skar monk about to crush some elf's face with a mace?   Sign me up!

• 2051 posts
    June 2, 2021 3:14 PM PDT

He looks more like an Ogre to me, though he could be some other race besides the ones we can play.

• 2752 posts
    June 2, 2021 3:46 PM PDT

Darch said:

Oh man... is that an image of a Skar monk about to crush some elf's face with a mace?   Sign me up!

That is an orc attacking a halfling. 

• 42 posts
    June 2, 2021 5:21 PM PDT
    I’m curious when building out the Combat AI, does a “disposition” override some of the survival tendencies NPCs may have in a group? Are there going to hidden effects that Dispositions may have on combat AI such as a pyrophobic mob will refuse to heal his ally if they carrying a torch or a wizard hating disposition extending his disdain to his potential allies?
    • 15 posts
    June 3, 2021 10:54 PM PDT

The spell effects look so good. Especially the curse of venom and sleep spells.

• 947 posts
    June 4, 2021 8:15 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Darch said:

That is an orc attacking a halfling. 

Forget about it then... sounds dumb.   /sarcasm off

• 16 posts
    June 4, 2021 8:43 AM PDT

Great Stream guys.  Real impressed with Kyle.  He knows his stuff.

• 248 posts
    June 5, 2021 7:22 AM PDT

Great stream!

Really liked the explaining and then showing. I'm so exited we get npc's like this. It is going to be a lot of fun figuring out how to combat them.
    Spells looked great, especially the pull and push ones. Those were awesome!

-sorte.

• 245 posts
    June 6, 2021 1:07 AM PDT

Amazing stream guys, really really good job!

NPC AI and behaviours look amazing, the combat looks tactical with moments of action and it all looks engaging in different ways for all classes!

No more semi-AFK complete healing!

• 184 posts
    June 7, 2021 3:19 AM PDT
    Stopping by to show more love. I had to glance at the video again with breakfast. So much progress and potential with the ai. this is truly the sort of difference people reference when trying to reinvent the mmo genre/wheel.