Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Do you enjoy game soundtracks and if so...

• 9115 posts
    July 13, 2020 4:09 AM PDT

Do you enjoy game soundtracks and if so, would you be interested in one for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 197 posts
    July 13, 2020 4:22 AM PDT

Huge fan of game soundtracks! Music is a essential part of a game’s experience for me. When I want to relive the experience I had playing a game, often just listening to the game’s soundtrack allows me to do that. So, yes, I would definetely be interested in an official original game soundtrack for Pantheon.

• 35 posts
    July 13, 2020 4:29 AM PDT

I absolutely love game soundtracks, my favourite piece of music in relation to Pantheon atm is Khaga Sands, a really well made piece of music.

• 220 posts
    July 13, 2020 4:39 AM PDT

I do enjoy game sound tracks from time to time. Here are few that I have enjoyed:

Asheron's Call 2

Diablo 2

Morrowind

Riven

EQ1 (classic)

Homeworld 1 (classic)

Minecraft

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence

If the OST ends up being similar to what has been released so far, then I would probably pass. I'm not saying it's bad, it just doesn't seem to be drawing any emotion out of me for some reason. I have no doubt that this may be different case for other people as its not really something we control. It just either happens or it doesn't.

This post was edited by Nekentros at July 13, 2020 7:10 PM PDT
    • 273 posts
    July 13, 2020 6:08 AM PDT

Typically, no. Notable exceptions include mostly old NES/SNES titles, Metroid/Super Metroid especially. The one thing I can't stand about modern game soundtracks is the forced "epic" Hans Zimmer neo-classical that feels of hollow sentiment more than anything else, like it was written by an algorithm. I guess the video game equivalent to Hans Zimmer would be Jeremy Soule. I don't need a soundtrack to tell me how I should feel emotionally about what's happening in game. Most of the time I end up turning the music off in any game I play today.

One modern game whose soundtrack I do really like was Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. It's understated and complements the atmosphere of the game without distracting from it, and that's all a video game soundtrack should do.

• 1785 posts
    July 13, 2020 6:26 AM PDT

Definitely yes!  My only real stipulation on soundtracks is that they really do have *all* of the music from the game.  I've purchased a few in the past that were only "selections", and it was disappointing.  Lesson learned.  But if the game music is great, and there's a soundtrack for sale in the merch store - I'll buy it.

• 245 posts
    July 13, 2020 6:57 AM PDT

Yes, Chris has made a lot of truely wonderful music already.

Would love to hear more from Pantheon.

• 3852 posts
    July 13, 2020 8:10 AM PDT

Yes. Yes.

• 1247 posts
    July 13, 2020 8:25 AM PDT

Yes, ofc. Myself and many others would buy it.

Add: would buy them. ;)

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #worldsnotgames #sticktoyourvision #restoreMMORPG

This post was edited by Syrif at July 13, 2020 8:49 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    July 13, 2020 8:38 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Do you enjoy game soundtracks and if so, would you be interested in one for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Rarely. I have *sometimes* bought them.

I'm a longtime fan of the Battlefield franchise and did get the BF1 soundtrack because it is fantastic musically, not just as a themed background (Not 100% of it, but some is truly fantastic - check out Zajdi Zajdi on YouTube.

The game has to mean a lot to me *and* the score be good.

I am hoping that *will* be the case for Pantheon and, yes, I will buy it if it is ;^)

• 999 posts
    July 13, 2020 11:26 AM PDT
    A good soundtrack in a CRPG or Console RPG (or really any Console or Computer game) is the difference between a 3/5 and a 5/5 for me - it’s huge. In MMORPGs, it’s different though just due to the infinite loop and hours spent in game. Combat music ultimately gets tedious/repetitive etc. so I much prefer ambient themes and music coming in and out at different environmental triggers that sets or emphasizes the tone/mood versus a running soundtrack (EQ did this well outside combat music).

I rarely buy them though, but I do like games that have the unlock-able soundtracks in game where you can play after beating the game etc.
    • 1479 posts
    July 13, 2020 11:52 AM PDT

I do like them, but usually in games I tend to shut them down as they can be repetitive and intrusive to some extent.

However I often listen to OST as ambient music for work or anything.

• 122 posts
    July 13, 2020 12:32 PM PDT

I do enjoy game soundtracks from time to time.  I can only remember buying a couple, but that was back when cd's were a thing lol.  Some of my favorite game soundtracks was from Legend of Dragoon, EQ1, and anything from the souls-borne series.

• 2752 posts
    July 13, 2020 12:35 PM PDT

Ezrael said:

Yes, Chris has made a lot of truely wonderful music already.

Would love to hear more from Pantheon.

If it is all as good as what we have heard so far then yes. 

• 633 posts
    July 13, 2020 1:35 PM PDT

I enjoy some game soundtracks, but only if they have serious music created not to just fit the game.  Aion had a song called Endless Sorrow that I love, Killer Instinct had a few songs that were really good if you're into pop/sync, and Everquest had a song I really liked for the Plane of Torment.  A lot of games just have modern versions of the old "chip tunes".  Which is OK when listening to them in game, but I wouldn't listen to them separately.

• 255 posts
    July 15, 2020 10:22 PM PDT

I usually always disable Music.

• 220 posts
    July 16, 2020 1:56 AM PDT

Boulda said:

I usually always disable Music.

I think the vast majority of players end up disabling a games music for periods of time, myself included. I generally do it for two reasons: either it got stale or I just need some quiet. Sometimes it's just for a day or two. Other times it can be for a month or more. I usually do this until it feels somewhat fresh again or I am able better able to receive its energy. I certainly don't think these are valid reasons to put less effort into its development. A games music, whether it be from a loading screen, a cut scene, or just proximity related, for me at least, has always been the number one thing that determines whether or not it is able to keep me spellbound for years if not decades. I’ll admit though, that the list of games that have had this effect on me is pretty short, but I am ever searching for the next spell caster and I hope Pantheon will be the one.

• 768 posts
    July 16, 2020 11:58 PM PDT

I very much enjoy soundtracks. Even out of context, I would search soundtracks and listen to them. Again and again.

Some trigger my imagination, others lean more towards nostalgic daydreaming. Many tracks, just allow my thoughts to drift away.

A memorable soundtrack can be very appealing and long lasting. Appealing to draw people in by curiousity of hearing the track. Long lasting, when players want to experience the emotions they had when hearing 'reliving' that specific context when they first encountered/heard the track.

I very much look forward to the music in Terminus, by VR. Understandably, it's one of those things, where you really only have one shot to make it just the way you wanted. It should really be breathing Terminus.