Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Crisis in character selection

• 23 posts
    June 29, 2020 5:15 PM PDT

O Man,

Never thought id say this.

Eq1 i mained a summoner/magician character for years.

Eq2 i mained a conjuror and a shaman. 

Now here we are years later with many other games under my belt.    My love for various roles come into play.   But at the end of the day to I start Pantheon the way I started EQ and play the role true to my start....  Or do I play a healer becuase my years of experiance tells me a healer will make the game start so much easier.

Ahhhhhhhhh How many of you are having the same crisis?  

Thanks!

Sekkong

• 1860 posts
    June 29, 2020 5:36 PM PDT

I've found what you want to play is usually the role you excel at.  Don't play something because there is a need for that class or because someone else wants you to.  

• 23 posts
    June 29, 2020 5:41 PM PDT

True..  

Maybe im just leaning toward Shaman becuase its one of the few classes we seen some footage for.   But im not sure if they start showing summoner if that is going to make my decision any easier. 

Sekkong

• 1277 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:14 PM PDT

Sekkong said:Maybe im just leaning toward Shaman becuase its one of the few classes we seen some footage for.   But im not sure if they start showing summoner if that is going to make my decision any easier. 

That makes sense.  You'll get to see all the classes as time moves along and you have plenty of time to choose :)  I'm leaning toward druid, but there's really no way for me to know until we get to play alpha/beta and see classes when they're pretty much fully put together.

• 2756 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:49 PM PDT

No crisis here. I know very well I'm going to play as many race-class combos as I can up to maybe level 20 or 25 before I settle on a main (or 2).

Joppa has done too good a job of making them all sound interesting. Even the warrior! (Which is crazy).

• 1247 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:53 PM PDT

OP from what you describe, go Shaman. Then you get a pet and healing capabilities.

• 3852 posts
    June 30, 2020 7:42 AM PDT

Far too early to judge what to play since the classes can and almost surely will change as we go through testing. 

Other obvious considerations in no special order. I know we *think* we know some of the answers but they may change before release.

What races can be what classes and what are the racial advantages and disadvantages? And in practice how much do the advantages help and the disadvantages hurt. What is the final version of the race's appearance both male and female? Where does the race start out and is it a good or bad place to start?

What are the special class benefits and disadvantages? Any class-based attribute or skill adjustments. How important are the special class abilities, such as some classes getting teleports of various types. Or speed of the wolf type abilities.

How much will the game support solo play (beyond a level 30 being perhaps able to solo a level 10 group of enemies in order to get almost nothing or nothing at all by way of drops and experience)? If there is real solo play (not a quest line but soloable enemies in most or all landscape zones giving maybe 20% of the experience and loot per hour of group play) as I very much hope what classes can do it well and what cannot? Personally I will pick a class that can do *something* on her own rather than a Midgard healer type that may die to a single gray-con mob.

How much will the game focus on raids rather than groups? A class with buffs that benefit a whole raid may be priceless in a game with significant raiding and almost useless in a game where the focus even at level-cap is single group content.

• 1247 posts
    June 30, 2020 11:56 AM PDT

So, have you decided on Shaman yet? :)

• 63 posts
    June 30, 2020 1:53 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

That makes sense.  You'll get to see all the classes as time moves along and you have plenty of time to choose :)  I'm leaning toward druid, but there's really no way for me to know until we get to play alpha/beta and see classes when they're pretty much fully put together.

Woah woah woah Ranarius I thought you were Ranger all the way? What happened to that?! 

• 63 posts
    June 30, 2020 1:57 PM PDT

I go back and forth quite a bit, but I think I have it narrowed down to 3 choices: Shaman, Rogue, or Ranger..... or you know, maybe Enchanter, I always love the EQ enchanted.... but you know Paladin would be cool also I love the class lore and do enjoy tanking. But you know, Cleric for pure heals and the undead stuff would be cool too, seeing as undead are such a big part of this game. However, at the same time I love the way the druid mechanics look and really enjoyed being a druid in EQ. Man but I sure do love Warriors also, I mained a warrior in vanilla/classic WoW after all! And what about Bards and Necromancers?! We don't even know their fundamentals in this game yet let alone races and key abilities! 

(This is my inner dialogue and I struggle with it daily)

• 454 posts
    July 4, 2020 4:07 PM PDT

I have fourteen race/class/crafting combinations.  I will play all of them up to maybe 20 and pick out three of which one will be my main. Some I might discard early.  I am interested in social group play maybe 80% of the time 10% solo, 10% raid.  I am focused on healers and rogue.  I can't wait to learn more.

• 113 posts
    July 4, 2020 4:33 PM PDT

snocap said:

I go back and forth quite a bit, but I think I have it narrowed down to 3 choices: Shaman, Rogue, or Ranger..... or you know, maybe Enchanter, I always love the EQ enchanted.... but you know Paladin would be cool also I love the class lore and do enjoy tanking. But you know, Cleric for pure heals and the undead stuff would be cool too, seeing as undead are such a big part of this game. However, at the same time I love the way the druid mechanics look and really enjoyed being a druid in EQ. Man but I sure do love Warriors also, I mained a warrior in vanilla/classic WoW after all! And what about Bards and Necromancers?! We don't even know their fundamentals in this game yet let alone races and key abilities! 

(This is my inner dialogue and I struggle with it daily)

Lol so this.

My inner dialogue goes something like "Man it is so fun to control encounters as an Enchanter, you get to show off your mad situational awareness skills and make difficult content doable". and "Man I sure loved learning spawns inside and out and being an awesome FD puller that a group can rely on". "It's awfully cool to be that badass healer that manages to keep everyone up in a nasty fight with adds". And then of course the "hmm it would be nice to have Some soloability and I've always liked pet classes or healers with some DPS ala Shaman/Druid"

So tough to choose!

This post was edited by GeneralReb at July 4, 2020 4:34 PM PDT
    • 1277 posts
    July 5, 2020 12:07 PM PDT

snocap said:Woah woah woah Ranarius I thought you were Ranger all the way? What happened to that?! 

Haha.  Nothing really happened (yet).  I have played a ranger (named Ranarius) in every role playing game that allowed it for the last 20 years or so.  I thought maybe I'd switch it up a little but there's also a good chance I get pulled right back to my roots haha.

We'll see!  :)

Edit:  Side note - I have never been involved in a game with this much time left until release before.  The earliest I've ever played a game was closed beta so normally I have all the info I need to make a decision by the time I try a game.  Pantheon is different because I decided to jump in SO early.  Also...druid isn't that much different than a ranger in my mind.  One is combat based one is magic based, both both are nature based (at least the way I've role played them).

This post was edited by Ranarius at July 5, 2020 12:09 PM PDT