Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Kind of Server Would you Play On?

• 47 posts
    June 29, 2020 2:58 PM PDT

Give me your hate for permadeath in the comments below.

Mod Edit: Removed Link as per guidelines.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at June 29, 2020 7:34 PM PDT
    • 1277 posts
    June 29, 2020 3:13 PM PDT

I will give you NO hate for the permadeath option.  

If I could have picked two options that would have been my 2nd pick.  If they do create that kind of server I'm sure I will play on it from time to time...just for fun, see how high I can get, or just to see how high OTHER people get.  

I can only imagine how "safe" people will have to play on that server to actually get to a high level.  Simple things like a disconnect, or a group member having to leave for a family emergency, etc, would probably stop me from even grouping on that server lol.  Solo low greens only, ever...in places that I can't be trained on?  I've never played on a server like that so I don't know what the norms are, but it's certainly interesting to me.

This post was edited by Ranarius at June 29, 2020 3:15 PM PDT
    • 63 posts
    June 29, 2020 3:31 PM PDT

Man... PVE - RP getting less love than PVE Perma death right now. Hehe poor RP'ers!

I mean... I voted PVE, but I expected a few more votes for RP as well. I have been (very lightly) kicking around the idea of trying something new and checking out an RP server, since I have only ever done normal PVE/PVP.

• 1277 posts
    June 29, 2020 3:43 PM PDT

People tend to RP on non-RP servers as well, so I'm actually not sure what the difference will be.  I actually did vote for the PvE-RP server (I think I'm the only vote haha).  But I'm not a hard core Rp'er by any means.  I will play my character and he will have a personality but that's about as deep as it gets for me.  Not sure what more is actually expected on an RP server.

• 63 posts
    June 29, 2020 3:55 PM PDT

I have never played on an RP server so I am no expert... but to my understanding it is looked down upon to act "out of character" for the game (which is, coincidentally, I believe where the name for the chat channel in EQ came from... for the non-RP moments). So, on an RP server, I don't think you're supposed to see a bunch of nonsense in general chat that breaks RP immersion. But like I said, I am no expert...

• 47 posts
    June 29, 2020 3:59 PM PDT

When in chatting in one of the community discords earlier, we came to a new thought that you could have a single server, but you could join a PvP shard.  Permadeath should be it's own thing though, with it's own shards, PvP and PvE.

Log in, you're on PvE servers, level up a bit - join a PvP shard.  Maybe there is something more to this, like a higher exp gain or drop rate, but it's basic ideas on a tired Monday night.

This post was edited by techninja1337 at June 29, 2020 4:00 PM PDT
    • 1277 posts
    June 29, 2020 4:00 PM PDT

Yeah, the /ooc channel was used for the nonsense...I remember people getting yelled at for using /shout (or /say) for stuff that should have been in the /ooc channel haha.  

• 3016 posts
    June 29, 2020 4:05 PM PDT

PVE and no permadeath...lol.  Just want to say I have been in on several releases of online games since 1995...and permadeath is not or never has been a big seller.  (in other words devoting a server or two to that kind of gameplay was never considered a money maker)    But I guess that could change.  hehe

Cana

• 3016 posts
    June 29, 2020 4:11 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

People tend to RP on non-RP servers as well, so I'm actually not sure what the difference will be.  I actually did vote for the PvE-RP server (I think I'm the only vote haha).  But I'm not a hard core Rp'er by any means.  I will play my character and he will have a personality but that's about as deep as it gets for me.  Not sure what more is actually expected on an RP server.

Well to be honest...if you choose a race and a class in ANY game..you are rping...if you pvp you are rping.     Even your name that you either invent or choose off a name generator..is RP.    Make believe, pretend whatever you want to call it.  :)   I started out in The Realm  (mid 1990s)  (Sierra Online)  we had a whole rping group ..we all spoke in imitation medieval english..and invented our own adventures.   Did that for ten months. (then a friend sent me a beta disk for testing Everquest before it released...hooked on EQ never looked at The Realm again lol)  There were rules..in the rp story..for instance, you couldn't kill off another person's rp character without consulting them first and getting their permission.   There are all kinds of ways to rp...some formal,  some not so much.    Remember that MMORPG....last three letters contain RPG.  :)

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at June 29, 2020 4:14 PM PDT
    • 35 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:15 PM PDT

I love open world PvP, so many memories of ganking people who think they own an area and refuse to share.

• 1785 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:36 PM PDT

I voted for PvE-RP but really I'm more about a well-rounded community than I am about RP.  I tend to find that people on RP servers have a more holistic approach to these games, they're not *all* about just chasing raid progression, etc.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but I like being surrounded by people who appreciate other aspects of the game/world too.

As for permadeath - honestly, it's something I might try with an alt if I wanted to challenge myself at some point, but I'm an explorer - I sometimes can die because I get myself into places and situations where I really shouldn't be.  So yeah :)

• 2756 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:44 PM PDT

I don't think people know what RP servers are for.

Historically, RP servers don't really mean folks improv-acting out their character's lives in game. Not many people, anyway, and not all the time.

It basically means "don't break muh immersion" so you tend to get more strict rules around naming conventions, OOC talk in non-OOC channels and it is encouraged to at least stay in character if someone else is.

To be honest, though, the reason I usually go to RP servers is you tend to get people that are less... immature, to be honest. People that actually want to maintain a high fantasy feel to the game.

I think you also tend to get folks that 'play nice' on RP servers, since RPers tend take their reputations quite seriously.

In my not-so-humble opinion, there shouldn't need to be RP servers, though. There should be naming policies, play nice policies, OOC usage policies and all that stuff on 'standard' servers. 

This is an RPG, after all...

I think RP servers started springing up when the playerbase explanded to include modern 'gamers' not 'role-playing gamers' and normal gamers didn't have a clue what an RPG is or care about any of the etiquette and behaviours that might be preferable.

I guess it wouldn't fly these days. Too many people would be upset at their freedumz getting bruised...

P.S. Permadeath is a ridiculous idea on a persistent online game. Just so many ways to die by accident and due to technical failures.

This post was edited by disposalist at June 29, 2020 6:46 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    June 29, 2020 7:32 PM PDT

10 years ago I would have voted PVE. However, due to the way modern gamers are with min/maxing, I voted PVE-RP because I probably won't be able to play on any other type of server.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 29, 2020 7:32 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    June 29, 2020 7:35 PM PDT

To save the thread I removed the link and changed the title. Please do not post Poll threads, they are not allowed unless posted by a staff member.

• 888 posts
    June 29, 2020 8:36 PM PDT
    I voted PvE-RP because I tend to encounter more friendly, helpful people on RP servers. I like to RP some characters, though some of that is an RP'd game version of a pop-culture / historic / humorous character, and sometimes that bothers the fun police.
    • 34 posts
    June 29, 2020 8:54 PM PDT

I tested permadeath on EQ2 when I was bored. Just one death meant delete on an alt ofc. I first tried with a necromancer because they have 100% FD and I was around level 85 when I first died because I was tabbed  out talking on FB ! I heard my toon get hit,tabbed in and then I was dead. A roming epic Rider of Rime in Fens of Nathsar lol.
    I then tried a monk who foolishly tried to get a page for a collection in the Barren Sky and got knocked over the edge of an island by a tornado and fell to my death around level 75, both very painful experiences. My 3rd attempt was a shadowknight who is level 100 and never died,I think he's still no1 in the world for Kills vs Deaths! I had to make a rule never to play him when drinking alcohol :)

Edit: Yes he is, I love leaderboards in games :)   https://u.eq2wire.com/lb/listing/kills_deaths_ratio/all/

This post was edited by splitpawthanos at June 29, 2020 9:02 PM PDT
    • 793 posts
    June 30, 2020 5:59 AM PDT

disposalist said:

Historically, RP servers don't really mean folks improv-acting out their character's lives in game. Not many people, anyway, and not all the time.

It basically means "don't break muh immersion" so you tend to get more strict rules around naming conventions, OOC talk in non-OOC channels and it is encouraged to at least stay in character if someone else is.

To be honest, though, the reason I usually go to RP servers is you tend to get people that are less... immature, to be honest. People that actually want to maintain a high fantasy feel to the game.

I think you also tend to get folks that 'play nice' on RP servers, since RPers tend take their reputations quite seriously.

In my not-so-humble opinion, there shouldn't need to be RP servers, though. There should be naming policies, play nice policies, OOC usage policies and all that stuff on 'standard' servers. 

I think RP servers started springing up when the playerbase explanded to include modern 'gamers' not 'role-playing gamers' and normal gamers didn't have a clue what an RPG is or care about any of the etiquette and behaviours that might be preferable.

I guess it wouldn't fly these days. Too many people would be upset at their freedumz getting bruised...

P.S. Permadeath is a ridiculous idea on a persistent online game. Just so many ways to die by accident and due to technical failures.

You know, I hadn't really thought of it that way, I may have to keep that in mind. I'm tired of all the BS that goes on in OOC, the horrendous character names (IE: Mibutthertz, Imonxanax) and the min/max attitudes that seems to be permeating games these days.

• 273 posts
    June 30, 2020 6:48 AM PDT

disposalist said:

Let's not beat around the bush, we all know exactly what RP servers are for.

I put on my robe and wizard hat...

• 3852 posts
    June 30, 2020 7:31 AM PDT

Permadeath is near and dear to my heart - I have played it in many games since Wizardry 1. Including MMOs.

I would never, ever, play on a permadeath server except for a temporary server running a special event. Too much risk of death due to a game crash, power outage or severe bug. 

I am entirely content to rely on myself. If a character dies I delete it. Simple. If it dies due to crash or severe bug I do not. Simple.

As far as RP servers I entirely agree with disposalist and Nephele as well as some others. I may never want to "waste" time sitting in a bar and emoting at other people when I could be crafting or killing but I value the typically higher maturity level and the at least slightly less horrendous names. 

This post was edited by dorotea at June 30, 2020 7:47 AM PDT
    • 1277 posts
    June 30, 2020 8:02 AM PDT

dorotea said:I am entirely content to rely on myself. If a character dies I delete it. Simple. If it dies due to crash or severe bug I do not. Simple. 

Wow, that's some discipline.  I don't think I could click the delete button unless I was playing with a group of people that were playing by the same rules (real life friends, or a guild, or something).  

• 888 posts
    June 30, 2020 9:08 AM PDT
    I would like to see a "No Death" server. Instead of permadeath, when you die, your character can no longer be played on that server and you get to transfer it to a regular server. Permadeath is fun, but too vulnerable to glitches, lag, and griefing.
    • 500 posts
    June 30, 2020 9:11 AM PDT

PVE for me, although PVE-RP is a possibility as well.  Just depends on how the server rulesets are implemented at release.  PVP was fun back in my younger days. EQ Rallos Zek and AC Darktide servers were a blast. But I'm 60 now, and various health problems have slowed me down a bit, and my tolerance for intentional griefing is much less these days.

• 2138 posts
    June 30, 2020 10:22 AM PDT

I would think  PvE- RP- Permadeath would be the ultimate hard core, like, would need semi-professional actors to RP it up while having fun and also be darned good players of the game to be able to survive every encounter when facing it for the first time. Talk about a quest! Just meeting each other to group would be like  two 4 hour episodes of Critical Role (tm) and THAT might not be enough before we even got started!. Besides it could really get confusing for a newbie because once you're in, you're in for the duration until the "campaign" and personal character arcs are fully developed and over. Also confusing in that the noob will think the people behind the characters really are that way (because they are good actors :)) with all those quirks and mannerisms that you find predictable even when they a re not in the room or acting idependently- which is hard to pull off!.  Then 2 years later, you realize you've been playing with Andersen cooper, Deborah Ann Wol, Vin Diesel, and Jon Favreau and the thing is? they didn't know they were playing with each other, either. How cool would that be, but if you die, thats it!

Even just PvE, permadeath. Starting as a newb? I might be scared to go anywhere, friends would be hard won. It would take a long time ot get an eestablished group that I grooved with, regularly that also had the same risk appetite as I and confidence level in abilities and knowning when to stop and when to run, or when to push to win with just a few HP's left- which would make getting killed by a DoT so bitter, lol.

• 63 posts
    June 30, 2020 1:41 PM PDT

Fulton said:

disposalist said:

You know, I hadn't really thought of it that way, I may have to keep that in mind. I'm tired of all the BS that goes on in OOC, the horrendous character names (IE: Mibutthertz, Imonxanax) and the min/max attitudes that seems to be permeating games these days.

Wow! I also hadn't really considered it that way. I always thought of RP servers as very acting everything out, having to make up a full backstory for your character, etc. And while I still think some of that would be fun, I hadn't considered RP servers the way you describe.

It is true that so many modern "gamers" in MMOs create an environment of min/maxing and even toxicity that I would rather not deal with. Not that there is anything wrong with hardcore min/maxing and zero immersion if that is how you like to play... but it isn't for me. This isn't Call of Duty with swords and magic, not to me. One of the reasons I quit WoW in favor of Skyrim was because I could totally immerse myself and not feel I had to compete with Chinese gold-bots and hardcore min/maxers. 

And the character names! OH the humanity character names. I totally agree. "Legolass" or "Johnwick" is one thing, which I'd still rather not see...but in WoW classic I have seen "Assjuice", "Lyxdxx", "Xplosivdiarea".... you get the point. 

If RP servers is where the people play who want to be more mature and immersive then sign me up!  

• 1860 posts
    June 30, 2020 6:47 PM PDT

As I didn't see the original thread before it was changed...

There wont be permadeath servers.  That was talked about a long time ago.

The server I want to join (Though maybe I wont if it is overcrowded because I think it will be very popular)  is an anti-boxing server.

This post was edited by philo at June 30, 2020 6:47 PM PDT