Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Is your characters...

• 2756 posts
    June 26, 2020 2:20 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Generally act without worry, but also don't go around being a jerk. In the end it doesn't matter much, get a decent size guild and enjoy immunity to any wider community attempts to "police."

Depressing, but correct, *unless* VR get a hold on it and the community knows where it stands from day one (in fact from prior to day one).

Play Nice Policy with examples. A robust /report system for players and GMs. Lots of CS (at least at the beginning) folks.

• 839 posts
    June 26, 2020 3:27 AM PDT

I want to run with an empathetic and fun group of players, so i will always try to set the best example, i find that attracts good people to you.  I am not bothered by what someone thinks of me, i follow my compass but that doesnt mean i wont listen to a compelling opinion regarding my behaviour and then change it for the better, for a better community.

So i guess my reputation does matter, not in an earning brownie points sense, but in the sense where I do want to project something positive out there, so i can find other like minded people.

• 500 posts
    June 26, 2020 5:43 AM PDT

Yes, it matters to me a great deal to me. I try to treat others as I would like to be treated. However, there are some trollish folks out there that make that stance difficult to maintain at times.

• 388 posts
    June 27, 2020 8:02 PM PDT

Very important. I know I may seem like a jerk on these forums. I am going to try and be more positive.

But, forums aside, I promise, in game, I am a really nice person and will help anyone. even people on these boards that drive me crazy. ;p

• 768 posts
    June 27, 2020 11:02 PM PDT

snocap said:

Character repuation is different because of the RP aspect...

You can view the reputation of your character as purely being something you choose to have and actively engage in..aka doing roleplaying. Actual roleplay, initiated and maintained by the player without any other goal other then reputation within the player community, is one side of this aspect.

Another is, that based on your character, the game unfolds in front of you and you make decisions depending on what's been show to that specific character. And going further in this, your character's reputation amongst npc and possibly pc (but perhaps to a lesser degree), will develop and have it's consequences.

Now if you ask that OP's question again with this latter in mind, you might envision the meaning of a character's reputation differently. Although you're not directly asked to Roleplay your character, you will be 'subconsiously' or indirectly Playing your character's Role, purely on what's available to you and how that impacts factions and other progression.

• 888 posts
    June 28, 2020 9:23 AM PDT
    If you're referring to character to NPC reputation, it depends on how much it actually impacts faction and interactions. The more my characters actions actually matter, the more attention and interest I will have in reputation. I'm really hoping we are presented with meaningful choices and reputation isn't just one more thing we need to farm.
    • 438 posts
    June 28, 2020 11:28 AM PDT
    Yea it matters. If I am a c*nt, I feel others won’t want to associate with me. Whereas if I am generous and helpful that reputation will go further to help myself.
    • 332 posts
    June 28, 2020 3:52 PM PDT

In my social circle yes , the rest are competition.

• 560 posts
    June 28, 2020 5:42 PM PDT

I have never had a reputation that I know of and to be honest I doubt I will ever have one other than from my guild or friends. I play exactly the same as I do in real life. I treat others as I would like to be treated. Not for some sort of reward but it is just who I am. We are all gamers trying to enjoy the game and we all have to play our parts for that to happen. I do not think I would enjoy being well known on the server let me hide.

• 1785 posts
    June 28, 2020 6:01 PM PDT

Not just my reputation, but my guild's reputation is important to me.  As it has always been, in every game.

• 91 posts
    June 28, 2020 6:38 PM PDT

See, Dick is an evil skar.  See Dick run.  See Jane run.  See Dick steal Jane's kill and not offer to help her.  Don't be that kind of role playing Dick.

If Dick is really dark and brooding and uses in game mechanics appropriately, I can be that kind of role playing Dick...always in fun!

It would be cool to see some alignment based mechanics open up options...the sky is the limit

This post was edited by Baerr at June 28, 2020 6:41 PM PDT
    • 793 posts
    June 29, 2020 8:02 AM PDT

In general the only reputation I care about is the one of the people I personally interact with.

Server wide if someone has developed a global repof being an a**hat, I will avoid them if I ever encounter them, but in general, I let each persons actions between me and them determine how I see them. But as they say, first impressions are everything, so don't come out of the gate like a stubborn mule on ex-lax. 

• 1273 posts
    June 29, 2020 8:09 AM PDT

Just adding another thought that reputation is not just things like "he's a nice guy" or "he KS'd me once 20 levels ago."  Reputation hopefully also includes things like "he's good at this trade skill and can make something that no one else can make" or "he's good at buying and selling items in the community, I'm gonna see if he can find me a {item name here}"

So yes, in my opinion reputation will matter, even outside your own guild.

• 470 posts
    June 29, 2020 1:37 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Reputation - Is your character's in-game reputation important to you or do you act without the worry of consequences? #MMORPG #CommunityMatter

I always try to have what I hope is a positive reputation with most people I meet in-game. That used to be an important thing. But in recent years, even though I approach it the same, it seems as though it's become less important as any consequence for bad behavior is easily negated.

• 21 posts
    June 29, 2020 4:48 PM PDT
    Absolutely important.

Back in the day it made all the difference when finding groups, raiding with different guilds, and having fun

Im super excited to see this game and to dive into it.
    • 413 posts
    June 30, 2020 11:49 AM PDT

Not really important.

• 220 posts
    June 30, 2020 9:30 PM PDT

reputation is important to me. How i carry myself in RL i try to project that onto my character.

If only i can have a healer in RL i'll be an awsome tank

• 128 posts
    July 1, 2020 3:00 PM PDT

I've always believed reputation may be the most important thing a character and player has.

• 41 posts
    July 1, 2020 5:31 PM PDT

My in-game reputation and out of game rep is important to me. As a streamer I wouldn't want to be preceived as a "bad" person.

• 810 posts
    July 1, 2020 5:57 PM PDT
    I wish every game had the Eve reputation system for players. You could flag people on a spectrum of horrible to fantastic, write out a note, only your character would have access to it. Every time you see that player they have the faction rating I gave them, examining them let's you see what you wrote about them if anything and change the faction if needed.

On one hand I aim to be a Lannister, always paying my debts. I will drop most groups to help people who have saved my ass before, but in a tit for tat scenario. Reputation is a business relationship here. It is very important to be seen as someone worth owing a favor to or giving a favor to. Give them materials, but expect something in return some day. Tit for tat people are the ones I want to surround myself with.

When it comes to camping or grouping, server rules take precident. When you have a group and the wizard rolls need for plate armor you all roll need. If there is a single guild or group of people being horrible then go full scorched earth. Harassment is all players can do to sort out these problem players.

If a guild group comes in and try to strong arm my group out of a camp then I will spend days ruining their camps. I would rather spend a week pissing off assholes, than do anything productive for my character. I never train people, but I would steal named mobs, rare clickies, and be in the running for the biggest honest asshole on the server. In EQ I would summon anyone and everyone to their camp location with call of the hero. Offering it in ooc with an explanation this guild doesn't believe in camps so you might as well take their named if it spawns while lfg. I remember saying something along the lines of, "If I were lying it would be harassment, you won't create a ticket because false claims about other players is harassment. Are you going to create a ticket demanding I stop playing the game like you?"

Negative reps happen all the time but most people will never do anything about it. This makes them largely worthless. The most I have seen is person saying they wont group with them.

I want reputation to matter.

I want things like a checkbox to block the sale of goods for players I set to low standing. I want to block their alts too.

I want easy reminders of who they are and what they did.

I want horrible people cut off from the world.
    • 43 posts
    July 1, 2020 7:06 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - Reputation - Is your character's in-game reputation important to you or do you act without the worry of consequences? #MMORPG #CommunityMatter

It's important to me insofar as I try to act just as I would IRL.  With integrity, honor, and respect.  And I don't associate with people who don't hold those standards.

In a different aspect, my character's appearance should reflect reputation in terms of achievements.  This refers to the specific items that are earned through hard work.  That's very important to me, and people should be able to identify those items and know you put in that hard work.  That's reputation.  (And also why I am totally and always against cosmetic items.  They destory this concept, utterly.)

• 123 posts
    July 1, 2020 8:06 PM PDT

When I play an MMO I do not think about my Characters' reputation.  I play the game how I want and people will either want me around in the future or not.  With that said, I try to be a friendly and helpful person and to play my class to the best that I can.  

• 34 posts
    July 3, 2020 10:09 AM PDT

Very important~

This is the single biggest reason of why I love (and lean towards) FFA PVP servers. There is a different level of accountability present and the affect it has on player behavior is palpable.

• 1273 posts
    July 3, 2020 10:14 AM PDT

flea said:

Very important~

This is the single biggest reason of why I love (and lean towards) FFA PVP servers. There is a different level of accountability present and the affect it has on player behavior is palpable.

That is a good point.  Although depending on the server rules you might not be able to get real revenge for things like kill stealing or ninja looting.  But, it would be nice to be able to take things into our own hands from time to time :)

• 2756 posts
    July 4, 2020 2:18 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

flea said:

Very important~

That is a good point.  Although depending on the server rules you might not be able to get real revenge for things like kill stealing or ninja looting.  But, it would be nice to be able to take things into our own hands from time to time :)

FFA PvP just raises the stakes and works for both goodies and baddies. "Might is Right" doesn't care who is actually, morally right. Revenge is not justice. Etc.