Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Where did you first die? (In game, not irl )

• 1 posts
    June 14, 2020 11:10 AM PDT

I remember it well, there I was in Britania, naked and hungry. I was sneaking around outside the city gates and spotted a stray chicken. Thinking to myself, “How bad can it be” I punched the chicken with all my strength. To my surprise, this was not the chicken I expected. It jumped up and pecked me in my left eye, and then clawed its way down my right side. I decided I had made a grave mistake and began to run away. The beast would have none of that. It was right on my heals pecking and scratching at the back of my legs. I ran for as long as I could, all the while hearing laughter behind me. Finally. with no strength left I fell to the ground and the demonic devil bird finished me off. I turned and asked what was so funny? The wife almost fell over when she said “You got smoked by a Chicken!!!” From that day on the newcomers of Britania were safe from the Vile chickens that Plagued the woods, for I, Daison’ Warrior Cheff, Made sure all of the chickens made it into my cookpot!

• 1273 posts
    June 14, 2020 2:09 PM PDT

Daison said:

I remember it well, there I was in Britania, naked and hungry. I was sneaking around outside the city gates and spotted a stray chicken. Thinking to myself, “How bad can it be” I punched the chicken with all my strength. To my surprise, this was not the chicken I expected. It jumped up and pecked me in my left eye, and then clawed its way down my right side. I decided I had made a grave mistake and began to run away. The beast would have none of that. It was right on my heals pecking and scratching at the back of my legs. I ran for as long as I could, all the while hearing laughter behind me. Finally. with no strength left I fell to the ground and the demonic devil bird finished me off. I turned and asked what was so funny? The wife almost fell over when she said “You got smoked by a Chicken!!!” From that day on the newcomers of Britania were safe from the Vile chickens that Plagued the woods, for I, Daison’ Warrior Cheff, Made sure all of the chickens made it into my cookpot!

Haha  Excellent! 

• 91 posts
    June 15, 2020 10:14 AM PDT

First time I played an MMORPG...I thought it sounded awesome!  I hadn't heard of EQ, but bought EQ2 at Walmart...On the introductory island, my almost last words were.."what's a train?"  I was standing on the seemingly empty spawn spot apparently, so this was followed shortly by "oh S!&$"
    It was then I learned...always bring friends!

This post was edited by Baerr at June 15, 2020 10:33 AM PDT
    • 6 posts
    June 15, 2020 12:01 PM PDT

Memorable were the wisps and meeting up with someone who said there was good experience in the Qeynos sewers.  Just jump in here and swim down.  I played in 3rd person and didn't know how to go up or down in swimming and drowned.  I still find myself holding my breath when I am swimming underwater in games.

• 252 posts
    June 15, 2020 4:43 PM PDT
    Isle of refuge. Killed by a goblin before I knew what aggro is.
    • 128 posts
    June 21, 2020 1:57 PM PDT

Freeport, think East Freeport. Level 2, mopping up orc pawns when I see a slightly bigger orc and shuriken him. Level 5 orc's don't like that.

• 441 posts
    June 21, 2020 5:47 PM PDT
    Rolled an Ogre because I love giant races. Back then you started in town. I was level 1 and I saw this really small armadillo. I didn't know the con system. Didn't figure out till later the armadillos in town were level 3 and I was naked with no weapon. That little bugger killed me so fast I was deflated in ego to the size of a gnome.
    • 2 posts
    June 22, 2020 10:33 AM PDT

Northshire Abbey, Brotherhood of Thieves quest. I aggroed one to many bandits. (World of Warcraft 2005)

This post was edited by Ahdrick at June 23, 2020 1:50 PM PDT
    • 4 posts
    June 24, 2020 9:30 AM PDT

EverQuest, Iwas playing a Barb shaman level 7 . made my way threw everfrost, found the ramp leading up too Black Burrow. Zoned over after traveling down the dark tunnel with torch in hand, Killed  a few low level Gnolls, went out too center area too explore and fell down  into the huge circle opening at top into the water below. I manages too swim under the wall area and then got mass killed by like 15 gnolls, I never was able too retrieve my corpse, so i deleted my character and made a new toon.

• 99 posts
    June 24, 2020 3:44 PM PDT

Kelethin fall damage was real with a dial up 56k with constant lag issues

• 184 posts
    June 24, 2020 4:42 PM PDT

I was a Dwarf Warrior about to ding level 2  out in Butchblock Mountains near "The Crossroads" by the Guard House with Nyzil Bloodforge. I thought he would save me, but he watched me die.  Its odd how I can't even remeber what I ate or wore last week, but I can rememeber a moment almost 20yrs ago, that game made such a huge impact on me. 

• 51 posts
    June 24, 2020 6:39 PM PDT

SugarWood said:

Kelethin fall damage was real with a dial up 56k with constant lag issues

I immediately walked to the edge of the platform in Kelethin where I spawned at first log in and fell to my death.

• 122 posts
    June 24, 2020 8:56 PM PDT

Nanfoodle said: Rolled an Ogre because I love giant races. Back then you started in town. I was level 1 and I saw this really small armadillo. I didn't know the con system. Didn't figure out till later the armadillos in town were level 3 and I was naked with no weapon. That little bugger killed me so fast I was deflated in ego to the size of a gnome.

This made me visualize a ballooned ogre being deflated by expelling gas through... wait nevermind....  Haha good story.

• 441 posts
    June 25, 2020 5:20 AM PDT

Morraak said:

Nanfoodle said: Rolled an Ogre because I love giant races. Back then you started in town. I was level 1 and I saw this really small armadillo. I didn't know the con system. Didn't figure out till later the armadillos in town were level 3 and I was naked with no weapon. That little bugger killed me so fast I was deflated in ego to the size of a gnome.

This made me visualize a ballooned ogre being deflated by expelling gas through... wait nevermind....  Haha good story.

Sad but true =-)

• 454 posts
    July 5, 2020 9:35 AM PDT

My first MMO death was in UO.  I had just made my toon, and I was exploring a building, looking in desks and found some money.  I was so excited.  I was alone in the building.  I was a broke n00b.  I thought this is great!  I picked the 2 gold and summarily got whacked by a guard.  He had warped through the walls and one shouted me.  Welcome to MMOs.

• 12 posts
    July 5, 2020 6:02 PM PDT

I think Corflunk was the first monster who killed me (or at least its the first one i remember).

Me and a few friends started on the same day in EQ and we did want to play together, a colleaque already had a midl-level character so we did have an idea where we want to start and / or where to meet. My friends played woodelfs and dwarfs so the goal was to meet in BB or GFay. I played a Barbarian, but was lucky enough to fiend a friendly druid who ported me to BB. (Lucky enough for me he bound my ass in BB). So i started running, passed Crossroads and on the way to Gfay i see an Ogre with a Name above his head - "Corflunk" I thought he is a player - man i was so wrong :)

This post was edited by Ondoki at July 5, 2020 6:04 PM PDT
    • 79 posts
    July 7, 2020 12:43 PM PDT

Exploring the dark trail in Greater Faydark between Felwithe and Kelethin. The first Orc Pawn I'd ever seen scared the bejezus outta me, when it came out of nowhere with that classic EQ orc growl and proceeded to pummel my level 1 High Elf wizard into a greasy spot in the grass.

• 690 posts
    July 7, 2020 12:54 PM PDT

probably...starfox for super nintendo?

In EQ it was the priest of discord, vs my ogre warrior. I'm sure enough people have told this story for me to not need to.

• 6 posts
    July 10, 2020 11:31 AM PDT

Such a quaint peaceful Inn I thought. A good place to rest. What's that flapping noise I hear?

• 121 posts
    July 12, 2020 1:36 PM PDT

My first toon in EQ was a Human Shadow Knight from Freeport.  I started exploring Freeport and found out the severity of faction even within my own starting city when some goodie goodie NPC (from North Freeport I think) one shotted me for being an evil class.  Harsh when your not safe in your own city.

• 66 posts
    July 12, 2020 10:00 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

NOT counting accidentally attacking NPC's in Kelethin my first death was when my friend and I were out exploring and he shouts in group chat "Look, an ORC!!  Let's get him!" ... about 10 seconds later we were both dead.  That is when I first learned that exploring can be dangerous  ;-)

Roughly this, except my friend was off doing something else.

• 1281 posts
    July 13, 2020 12:50 PM PDT

StoneFish said: In EQ or any other mmo where it was your first go and then , surprise!, You dead.. Like may of you it may have been the first time you were standing in front of an NPC guard and went to type 'anything......). and auto attack was triggered. I was here, near the Bard and Lifts area. http://web.archive.org/web/20041218080212im_/http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hub/1815/kelethin.gif

Just outside of the front gates of Qeynos.  Couldn't get to a guard in time when I got in over my head with a beetle.

• 78 posts
    July 16, 2020 6:24 PM PDT

First time I died in EverQuest was on my High Elf Wizard. My ass was handed to me by a level 2 spider.