Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Where did you first die? (In game, not irl )

• 724 posts
    June 4, 2020 9:25 AM PDT
    In EQ or any other mmo where it was your first go and then , surprise!, You dead..

Like may of you it may have been the first time you were standing in front of an NPC guard and went to type 'anything......). and auto attack was triggered. I was here,
    near the Bard and Lifts area.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20041218080212im_/http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hub/1815/kelethin.gif />
    • 1277 posts
    June 4, 2020 9:36 AM PDT

NOT counting accidentally attacking NPC's in Kelethin my first death was when my friend and I were out exploring and he shouts in group chat "Look, an ORC!!  Let's get him!" ... about 10 seconds later we were both dead.  That is when I first learned that exploring can be dangerous  ;-)

This post was edited by Ranarius at June 4, 2020 9:37 AM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    June 4, 2020 10:04 AM PDT

I *think* whatever key was bound to attack was what a character would likely use to type their initial hello/hail to the guildmaster shortly after character creation in EQ1 (beta?).
    In any case, same as the above, my guildmaster promptly killed me after I pressed that key.  Good times.

• 438 posts
    June 4, 2020 10:20 AM PDT
    Skellys in butcher block. Was already half dead and figured I could win.
    • 139 posts
    June 4, 2020 10:34 AM PDT

I don't remember when I first died. I first played in Greater Faydark. Killed by Skellys, orcs, guards, bats, wasps and falling off Kelethin.

• 2419 posts
    June 4, 2020 11:01 AM PDT

Greater Faydark, somewhere in Kelethin because I forgot to enter into chat mode before hailing and NPC..got the 'H' off just fine but then 'A' ended up with me dead.

• 273 posts
    June 4, 2020 11:03 AM PDT

It's been so long it's hard to remember specifics, but since UO was my very first MMO, I'd bet it was to some griefer or ganker in PvP.

One that I do remember clearly, was taking a wrong turn somewhere in StarMUD and instantly dying to a xenomorph.

• 1785 posts
    June 4, 2020 11:27 AM PDT

I don't remember the first time I died in a MUD but there were many.  In UO, it was getting PKed the first time I set foot outside town.  In EQ, on Day 1, it was to a bat outside Qeynos at night.  It was pitch black, I couldn't see, and suddenly I'm getting attacked.  After that, i went and bought a torch.

• 724 posts
    June 4, 2020 11:33 AM PDT
    Haha. The bat at night and not knowing what what happening...that's funny.
    • 51 posts
    June 4, 2020 12:21 PM PDT

Can't remember the first, but the first stupid one I made was attacking a wisp without a magic weapon.  My body fed the forest that day in kelthin and ultimately my half elf warrior got deleted cause I could never find it, got mad and created a ranger instead.

• 2752 posts
    June 4, 2020 12:32 PM PDT

It was either a bear or wolf right outside Surefall Glade, shortly after spending a very long time trying to figure out how to get out of the tunnel in pitch darkness. I was hooked from then on. 

• 1277 posts
    June 4, 2020 12:39 PM PDT

LoL I forgot about the magical weapon requirement for the wisp...I did that one too.  

@Iksar FINALLY someone who didn't start in Kelethin haha

• 1618 posts
    June 4, 2020 12:40 PM PDT

StoneFish said: In EQ or any other mmo where it was your first go and then , surprise!, You dead.. Like may of you it may have been the first time you were standing in front of an NPC guard and went to type 'anything......). and auto attack was triggered. I was here, near the Bard and Lifts area. http://web.archive.org/web/20041218080212im_/http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hub/1815/kelethin.gif

This happened many times. Auto attack should never be a simple key like "a". Any time I went to /Ask the NPC something and forgot the /. Death.

• 368 posts
    June 4, 2020 12:45 PM PDT

UO, killed by a rat in Britain sewers

EQ, A skeleton in the old offline tutorial (this was also my first experience of the EQ skeleton cackle/laugh)

This post was edited by arazons at June 4, 2020 12:49 PM PDT
    • 6 posts
    June 4, 2020 1:15 PM PDT

I'm not entirely sure if it was my first death, but surely the most memorable. I had been playing Silkroad Online (a huge pain in the ass Korean grinder) and was really careful in not dying, as this would have resulted in a loss of exp and a 5 % chance to drop any item. While trying to complete a generic slay X 1000 times quest, I randomely had this huge ass unique boss spawn right next to me. Obviously I panicked and tried to get as far away as possible. On may way out, I came across a heroic healer that got mauled in his futile attempt to save me. This is how I met one of my very first in-game friends :P

• 114 posts
    June 4, 2020 1:26 PM PDT

Place : Surefall Glade

Race : Human

Death by : Drowning - did not open my inventory - could not see anything video settings were new thing to me - gamma was dark.  Walked , fell off that little catwalk into the pond, all I can see is a dark screen but I hear "gurgle gurgle gurgle".  

• 2756 posts
    June 4, 2020 2:46 PM PDT

vjek said:

I *think* whatever key was bound to attack was what a character would likely use to type their initial hello/hail to the guildmaster shortly after character creation in EQ1 (beta?).
    In any case, same as the above, my guildmaster promptly killed me after I pressed that key.  Good times.

I'm pretty sure something similar will be the death most EQ players had first! Mine was too. Almost certainly from targeting the Priest of Discord, then typing "h", "a", "i", "l" but forgetting to type the slash / first, so on the "a" activating auto-attack and the PoS executing a one-hit-kill on me :)

The PoS was pretty much always surrounded by noob corpses! Lol.

• 10 posts
    June 4, 2020 4:33 PM PDT

I was with my roomie. New to SWG and had gotten a few new skill boxes open. Had some money and got suited up in an Ubese chest and helm plus a new pistol and was feeling a little tougher. So we grabbed a few Worrt missions and headed out. Arrived at the first nest and stashed my lowly speeder. I fired a single shot into the nest when something I had not seen before crept onto the plateau ahead of me and before I could fire a second blast, this new beast lunged at me and incapacitated me. Then stood over my body and waited for me to revive so it could get in its death blow. Then my roomie who was catching up to me pulled up and this beast of doom blew his speeder and then killed him in the same manner. Damn that Squill!

• 124 posts
    June 4, 2020 4:59 PM PDT

I was introduced to EQ by friends / guild mates which had moved to EQ before me from Ultima Online. I'd started a Gnome Mage, and was ported to Misty Thicket by one of our guild mates to join my two RL friends that were leveling there. I got too confident, went to the other side of the wall which splits the zone (where the guards were that Necromancers always camped on that log), and I was swiftly owned.

I hadn't bound in Rivervale, so ended up back in Ak'anon after respawning, and couldn't get a port back.

EQ was brutal, but I loved it for that, and many other reasons.

Please don't make Pantheon a Carebear paradise, I want to actually pay attention to, and respect, the environment in an MMO once again.

[EDIT] This was my first death in EQ, my first in an MMO was trying to steal / pick pocket at Britain bank in Ultima Online and getting my arse handed to me by the guards! Naked thieves / pick pockets everywhere at the bank, hehe.

This post was edited by Shadowbound at June 4, 2020 5:09 PM PDT
    • 560 posts
    June 4, 2020 6:21 PM PDT

everett said:

Can't remember the first, but the first stupid one I made was attacking a wisp without a magic weapon.  My body fed the forest that day in kelthin and ultimately my half elf warrior got deleted cause I could never find it, got mad and created a ranger instead.

I still remember getting attacking a wisp without a magic weapon and dying. I also remember spending some time looking for my corpse but that was many deaths in. While I do not remember it, I am positive my first death was ether a rat, bat, or snake outside of Freeport. Well I guess it could have been an orc as well? Wow been too long forget exactly what was there.

• 633 posts
    June 4, 2020 6:49 PM PDT

I died to an orc pawn.  I had no idea they were so strong compared to everything else around Felwithe.

• 2033 posts
    June 4, 2020 9:44 PM PDT

My first stroll on Eastham beach, a zone much higher than I should have been in. The first mob I attacked was an Azure Gromnie. The moment I saw that my attack had done all of 1hp of damage, I knew I had made a HUGE error. I made it almost back to town before it killed me, which at least made it easy to recover my corpse.

• 260 posts
    June 4, 2020 10:21 PM PDT

My first death was in Nerik Forest by the big log. Some scarab or spider didn't like me. I think my first 5 deaths were there then I camped for a while as I didn't kill anything by that stage.

• 810 posts
    June 4, 2020 11:55 PM PDT
    Starting zone tox forest: how hard could a yellow con actually be?
    • 627 posts
    June 5, 2020 4:31 AM PDT
    When i finaly made it to my rl mates in Gfay as my ogra warrior.. Only to get send on a 6 hours walk back to the swamps, the first time i saw a guard..