Forums » The Enchanter

Is Snare a CC mechanism?

• 192 posts
    May 13, 2020 11:30 AM PDT

Just as the title says, should Snare be apart of the Enchanters arsenal? I noticed from the "Shaman Clarity" post that Enc never had this in EQ. Should they in Pantheon?

I personally think Snare would classify as CC. Limiting (or being in control of) how fast a mob can run away makes sense that ENC should get this ability.

But maybe the definition of CC is complete immobilization (stuns, mez, root)?

• 591 posts
    May 13, 2020 3:55 PM PDT

A quick survey tells me that Ranger, Summoner and Monk will all have something of a snare. So maybe it's just been set aside as a CC for the 'other' classes. I'm not sure I'd agree that Enchanter should have ALL the CC spells that exist in the game. Not sure that I'd argue it either, just ....not sure :)

• 431 posts
    May 14, 2020 11:43 PM PDT

In a short answer, no.

While it can be used as a form of CC, this relies on having room to kite said target or being in an area where you could reliably fear it while snared without it aggroing other mobs or surrounding NPCs. The times this is possible is few and far between and in that sense, a run speed buff would operate similarly. That also brings up, what if there's multiples? Add to that, Pantheon AI and mob dynamics have them utilizing ranged combat far more liberally and capably than what we saw in Everquest. Snare and Root won't do much if that target can still do lethal damage at range. Add to that, some of us saw the stream in which mobs were able to wipe the group with PBAE (Point-Blank Area Effect) spells and even TAE (Targeted Area Effect) spells. To prevent this we have CC, Confuses/Charms, long term Silences, and PBAE Stuns. 

Here's the main reason why it won't be viable in Pantheon: Duration. In Pantheon, given the few Snares we know of, each of them operate on a 6-12 second duration generally. This may be similar to their Melee Slows being reduced and why Fear is basically non-existent aside for Enchanter and a barely operable Warrior version, and to add to that why Roots are also low durations. They don't want overpowered abilities in the game like a ~3 minute and ~12 minute Snare (Snare and Ensnare). It trivialized content a bit too easily and made content relatively trivial for a classes that didn't need it, especially Druid.

I wrote up a comprehensive breakdown on CC in totality last year or so. You may like it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/a4j1lk/crowd_control_in_pantheon/

As for a Snare for Enchanter, again, it would be a short duration and going by that, why use that after what I stated above and if we have a host of other tools that are far better?

This post was edited by Janus at May 15, 2020 11:22 PM PDT
    • 107 posts
    May 19, 2020 3:02 AM PDT

I do not dislike for the Enchanter to have a snare but, I think it would be better if we could Charm a mob and that mob had a snare and use it... I just like the idea of casting spells from the mob I charm... and being able to use the mobs spells and my enchanter spells....I doubt that would happen but it sounds really fun to me....

This post was edited by Nytman at May 19, 2020 3:30 AM PDT
    • 431 posts
    May 19, 2020 6:31 AM PDT

Nytman said:

I do not dislike for the Enchanter to have a snare but, I think it would be better if we could Charm a mob and that mob had a snare and use it... I just like the idea of casting spells from the mob I charm... and being able to use the mobs spells and my enchanter spells....I doubt that would happen but it sounds really fun to me....

Yeah, that's one trick and I think that's what they're intending with Charm in this game. At least it was alluded to vaguely. That was in how Charm functions in that it allows you control over their abilities. That's been done before to include in EQ2 and other MMORPGs. There's another function that I alwways liked but was never really done at all in MMORPGs and the bits it was, it was done poorly and that's in Possession. You lose control of your character and take control of the NPC. The downside here is in how exploitative it is. You could just jump the mob off a cliff or something to get it far from the group. 

I can think up of all the counters to that so it functions, but I don't think they're going that route nor would they.

That leaves your description and it very well may be just that, control of your charmed pet's faculties. 

• 4 posts
    May 31, 2020 7:38 AM PDT

I'm sure there will be clickies in the game that have snare. With all the tools we will have for CC, I can't imagine a situation where you would choose snare. A clickie snare would be valuable if you were OOM and needed to slow a mob so you could escape.

• 431 posts
    May 31, 2020 9:01 AM PDT

Given their reluctance to have any useful snare in the game and by that measure, the overall importance of it as a tool, I personally don't think we'll see it as a 'clicky' of sorts. It would have to be rare or very difficult to obtain if they seem to emphasize how much they want to limit the function in this game comparative to others, i.e. EQ.