Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Coin Naming Hat

• 1399 posts
    May 2, 2020 9:14 PM PDT

On the stream on the 30th they mentioned having a 5th coin of currency that was yet unnamed. And that "Roenicks" was already thrown into "The Hat". I've also seen at least one other suggestion scattered on the site here.

What else can throw in the hat?

I just thought of this while watching Star Trek re-runs and the Ferengi on here with the Gold Pressed Latinum.

So how about

Gold Pressed Platinum 

• 287 posts
    May 2, 2020 10:36 PM PDT

Call it Toilet Paper

nothing in the universe as valuable these days

• 3852 posts
    May 3, 2020 8:24 AM PDT

Especially on the roll-playing server.

• 1273 posts
    May 3, 2020 8:26 AM PDT

McQuaids

Pantheons

Theons

Quaids

• 287 posts
    May 3, 2020 8:28 AM PDT

Copper

Silver

Gold

Platinum

Why complicate something everyone knows and that is simple to understand?

• 888 posts
    May 3, 2020 10:52 AM PDT
    Terminium. It's forged from the merging of one element from each race (that is unique to that race). Make it player-created only and have virtually no weight. Players have to mine the rare ores found only in their corresponding racial area, then have to forge it together.
    • 1992 posts
    May 3, 2020 12:23 PM PDT

Akilae said:

Copper

Silver

Gold

Platinum

No one is changing the list you posted. It's been decided to add one more, it's already coded into the UI as we saw.

If you wish to advocate for NOT having a 5th level of coin that's fine, but saying it "complicates" currency is a pretty weak argument for your position.

• 1992 posts
    May 3, 2020 12:32 PM PDT

Mithril

• 197 posts
    May 3, 2020 3:27 PM PDT

I‘ve heard “Quaids” and “Aradunes” mentioned a few times. I feel like they’re close, but not quite right. 

So here’s 2 for the hat. One that could fit with the lore, and one not so much :)

1. Coldarks -Coldark Steel is “a peerless material in strength and beauty known as Coldark Steel - unbreakable, yet able to be cut thin enough to wear as fabric.” Dwarves arrived first so they might have had some influence on this. 

2. Everguards -Everquest + Vanguard

• 264 posts
    May 3, 2020 4:20 PM PDT

Unobtainium

Dragon Forged Platinum : Imbued with a Dragon Magic that makes it weigh zero

Promethium

Mithara

• 122 posts
    May 3, 2020 6:00 PM PDT
    Mithril.....

I think that should be next....but, I'm sure VR has some ideas
    • 1273 posts
    May 3, 2020 6:25 PM PDT

I‘ve heard “Quaids” and “Aradunes” mentioned a few times. I feel like they’re close, but not quite right. 

I agree, they don't sound right to me either (even though I suggested one of them haha).  I'm sure there are much better (and more natural) ways to honor Brad :)

• 2138 posts
    May 3, 2020 9:33 PM PDT

Thara's (short for Mithara) or Termin's?

Or, if this is going to be the only universal coin of the realm, where copper is preffered in gnome-land and thronefast. silver amonst the archai and myr, gold among the ogres and dwarves, platinum among the elves and skar.  making a Termin, or Termins. Unique to Terminus, the accepted coin of the realm that can ONLY be exchanged in banks.

Show up in archai bank with copper? the banker doesn't know you, show up with Thara's or termin's? and that banker will exchange those for silver and back to Thara's/Termin'swhen you leave. This will mean Thara's or Termin's will have decimal value (like bitcoin!) to facilitate uneven exchanges, rounded up in favor of the bank, of course.

At 100 to 1.

100,000 Copper to 10,000 silver to 1,000 gold to 100 platinum to 1 Thara/Termin. So 1 copper = .000001 Thara/Termin's and if you show up in myr banks with .000001 Thera/Termin you can only get .0000001 silver- a hair's width, hardly enough to buy anything except maybe sew into a piece of paper......

• 2756 posts
    May 4, 2020 2:47 AM PDT

It seems, from the blue colour we saw as it's representation in the UI, obvious to me that it will be the ice metal that the dwarves produce. Coldark Steel. Pantheon's equavalent of mithril. Would imagine they might be called Steel. Brings a new meaning to the phrase "cold hard cash"!

What *we call* them though? Would be nice to be McQuaids or Brads ;^)

This post was edited by disposalist at May 4, 2020 2:48 AM PDT
    • 724 posts
    May 4, 2020 6:00 AM PDT

I'll throw my hat in for Mithril :)

• 99 posts
    May 4, 2020 6:04 AM PDT

I'm gonna toss in Hafling jiblets dont ask what they are made from you probably dont want to know

• 2419 posts
    May 4, 2020 7:04 AM PDT

Unneededs

Unnecessaries

Bloats

EDIT: Just to show how ridiculous a 5th currency is, when you're looking at a 100:1 exchange rate lets look at the numbers:

100 copper to 1 silver
    10,000 copper to 1 gold
    1,000,000 copper to 1 platinum
    100,000,000 copper to 1

Do you really expect players, or the overall economy to actually ever need a coin that is 100,000,000 times that of the lowest denomiation?    You, VR, have said time and time again over the last 6+ years about your work on avoiding stat inflation so that every single point actually matters and yet with your economy you're expecting to see the need for 5 levels of currency?

This post was edited by Vandraad at May 4, 2020 9:24 AM PDT
    • 1315 posts
    May 4, 2020 7:15 AM PDT

Bank Drafts.  Make them an actual bank draft from a certain bank that you need to go to that bank to have the gold moved to your account but you can easily trade 10,000s of gold with a single inventory item.  Could even tax them as a way to take cash out of the whales pockets rather than the poor people.  Also ditch plat and decrease the coin drop rate so that coppers still mater.

• 3852 posts
    May 4, 2020 8:24 AM PDT

I prefer not to have a Weimar Republic economy and agree that a 5th currency is entirely undesirable. 

I like mithril but it is too obviously tied to a different MMO's lore.

Maybe anuses - tied to the ending of Terminus? No that sounds a bit ....disrespectful.

Coldark or promethium or terminium as a more serious vote.

• 287 posts
    May 4, 2020 10:15 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Akilae said:

Copper

Silver

Gold

Platinum

No one is changing the list you posted. It's been decided to add one more, it's already coded into the UI as we saw.

If you wish to advocate for NOT having a 5th level of coin that's fine, but saying it "complicates" currency is a pretty weak argument for your position.

If we're only talking about adding a 5th coin then I'm in favor of your suggestion for "Mithril".  I don't think a 5th coin complicates the system; I was reacting to what appeared to be suggestions to rename all of the coins.

• 1273 posts
    May 4, 2020 10:36 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

100 copper to 1 silver

10,000 copper to 1 gold
    100,000,000 copper to 1

Do you really expect players, or the overall economy to actually ever need a coin that is 100,000,000 times that of the lowest denomiation?    You, VR, have said time and time again over the last 6+ years about your work on avoiding stat inflation so that every single point actually matters and yet with your economy you're expecting to see the need for 5 levels of currency?

I thought about that as well, but then I started thinking about coin weight.  If someone DOES end up having enough money to get 1 "whatever they're calleds" then will save them weight due to coin weight.  
    That's the only reason I can think of having the 5th denomination.  Yes, things did cost over 1000 platinum in EQ, and running around with 1000 plat was rough sometimes :)

• 99 posts
    May 4, 2020 10:51 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

Vandraad said:

100 copper to 1 silver

10,000 copper to 1 gold
    100,000,000 copper to 1

I thought about that as well, but then I started thinking about coin weight.  If someone DOES end up having enough money to get 1 "whatever they're calleds" then will save them weight due to coin weight.  
    That's the only reason I can think of having the 5th denomination.  Yes, things did cost over 1000 platinum in EQ, and running around with 1000 plat was rough sometimes :)

I was thinking the same thing at first a 5th coin could greatly reduce the encumbered situation with high dollor items but then what is the point of having coin wieght?

• 1315 posts
    May 4, 2020 10:52 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

Vandraad said:

100 copper to 1 silver

10,000 copper to 1 gold
    100,000,000 copper to 1

I think part of the issue is why even have copper, or silver for that matter, if you anticipate players needing a currency to control the weight of raw Platinum.  It would take a truly tremendous amount of time to earn even one “Roenick” if the highest currency a mob dropped was silver and only rarely could an item be vendored for gold.  If on the other hand Platinum can directly drop from killed single group mobs then what is the point of even having copper as cash sinks will be scaled relative to the mean cash drops of level 45-50 mobs.

• 1399 posts
    May 4, 2020 10:59 AM PDT

Ranarius said:

Vandraad said:

100 copper to 1 silver

10,000 copper to 1 gold
    100,000,000 copper to 1

I'm starting to think, like some have mentioned Bank Notes, or Chashier's Checks for any amount you want to put on it would be better than a 5th coin. Do we expect this "whatever they're called" worth 1000 Platnum to drop from a Mob?

• 1273 posts
    May 4, 2020 12:33 PM PDT

@Trasak - I personally hope the game is big enough, long enough, vast enough, whatever enough, that copper is very useful for a large portion of early game, and platinum is useful for a lart portion of late game.  Just like our world, pennies are still important, but so are millions of dollars (even if we don't have a "million dollar bill")