Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Everything is climb-able

• 724 posts
    May 1, 2020 8:53 AM PDT

I love this. No more "this rock/wall/whatever is blocking your way"! Just hope your climbing skill is good enough :)

Very happy about this announcement!

• 523 posts
    May 1, 2020 9:02 AM PDT

Now, all they need to do is add collectibles/shinies to the game like EQ2 and Rift, and we now have one hell of a collector's paradise trying to track all those things down in the unlimited number of places they could be.  Don't let me down on this VR.

• 430 posts
    May 1, 2020 9:16 AM PDT

Agree love the idea of being able to climb and go anywhere is great , also love coin weight .. things should matter . 

Corpses are touchy , Never had issue with corpse retrieval but having said that , I do understand issues with retrievals . 

I truly believe to make a game that matters is to make a game that has consequences . not everyone should be able to do it all . not everything should be easy .. 

You want people for the long haul , you need a game that matter /consequences that matter . Its is what keeps most playing .. when you get everything for free or is easily attainable you simply lose interest :)

Its called boring one loses interst when something is gained for free or easily attainable .

• 1404 posts
    May 1, 2020 9:20 AM PDT

Love the Idea... BUT

It also goes hand in hand with what they have said in the past "If you can see it you can go there"

They are leaving something out, and some of us are choosing to be blind to it... Zones Have Boarders! There HAS to be a limit. I'm not complaining, just saying what I have yet to hear said... I wonder if they have something up there sleeve to minimize the fact that

this is the zone edge, you can see it but you can't go there, or climb it. 

• 627 posts
    May 1, 2020 9:38 AM PDT
    Lets explore the world with no invis walls.. Mind blowing indeed!

Cant wait to play Alpha lets gogo
    • 1315 posts
    May 1, 2020 10:41 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Love the Idea... BUT

It also goes hand in hand with what they have said in the past "If you can see it you can go there"

They are leaving something out, and some of us are choosing to be blind to it... Zones Have Boarders! There HAS to be a limit. I'm not complaining, just saying what I have yet to hear said... I wonder if they have something up there sleeve to minimize the fact that

I believe at one point they showed that at least some of the zone lines are soft zone lines.  The outside of the known world will need to have hard walls but if they fit the zones in a more fluid manor then the number of hard walls will be reduced.

• 1404 posts
    May 1, 2020 11:49 AM PDT

Trasak said:

Zorkon said:

Love the Idea... BUT

I believe at one point they showed that at least some of the zone lines are soft zone lines.  The outside of the known world will need to have hard walls but if they fit the zones in a more fluid manor then the number of hard walls will be reduced.

Good layout of the zones would indeed minimise it a lot, possably other things like cliff overhangs and unswimable (too long.. fatigue) Oceans could be another. Looking forward to finding out.

• 33 posts
    May 1, 2020 3:06 PM PDT

Here is a quick 30 second clip of my bard trying to get to my group https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HoUDDetAg0

• 260 posts
    May 1, 2020 4:36 PM PDT

Brooks said:

Here is a quick 30 second clip of my bard trying to get to my group https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HoUDDetAg0

Difference here, if you fall, there would not be a corpse run. (well not from the climber anyway).

• 238 posts
    May 1, 2020 5:06 PM PDT

I think that the game was always headed in this direction and I mean that in the best way. I think that this opens up a world of possibilites for poteitnal pathings, dynamic oppertunites, and exploration fulfilment. 

I would just hope that this ability wouldn't clash with class specific abilites such as the druid's Vine Woven Bridge by allowing players a way to circum navigate specific enviornamental obsticals to arive at the same point. I fully belive that classes should have reasons that they are desirable without having those reasons infringed upon by other classes/ systems and I also believe that certain areas should require those specific class abilites from an RP standpoint. 

This post was edited by Baldur at May 1, 2020 5:07 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    May 1, 2020 8:29 PM PDT

I imagine climbing all around the edge of the zone wall would be time consuming and difficult to fight from, so I hope the devs decide to put nesting griffons at those high points to coincidentally  be a PITA and maybe force a deadly fall. but  otherwise I can see alot of time spent solo exploring!

• 79 posts
    May 1, 2020 9:46 PM PDT

well worlds collided to create terminus so its safe to say there might be some spatial rifts in oh so convinent areas the developers dont want people going because theres  nothing there yet, either that or  one of the  unclimbable parts wiill be zone edges they could say 99% of everythings climable but that thin ring around the very top makes it a  uncrossable  area, or a bit more realistic its climasble but so clippery its impossible to go   high enough, its still technicly climbable, hopefull the parts like that would be few , but theyre will have to be some impossible  borders, or spatial distortions

• 238 posts
    May 2, 2020 1:18 AM PDT

Quseio2017 said:

well worlds collided to create terminus so its safe to say there might be some spatial rifts in oh so convinent areas the developers dont want people going because theres  nothing there yet, either that or  one of the  unclimbable parts wiill be zone edges they could say 99% of everythings climable but that thin ring around the very top makes it a  uncrossable  area, or a bit more realistic its climasble but so clippery its impossible to go   high enough, its still technicly climbable, hopefull the parts like that would be few , but theyre will have to be some impossible  borders, or spatial distortions

I could see them implementing a windsheer/pressure 4, or possibaly an unkillable deadly monster that could protect certain areas that they don't want exploited or abused. I think the tower of the reckless magician is the prefect example of this. Sure there should be some climable interaction with the tower maybe even up to a certain level. but I think that it should be a potientially deadly feat if you wanted to try to climb to the top and I think that the aclimation system might be the way to go. I doubt a magicain wouldn't be able to fortify the outside of his domain with a potientially deadly windsheer climate. 

• 75 posts
    May 2, 2020 4:17 AM PDT

If everyone can climb everything I wonder if they will rethink or change some of the utility abilities like Summon Ladder or Length of Rope. Everyone should already have their climbing capped out so as not to be a hindrance and be able to adventure everywhere.

This post was edited by LucasBlackstone at May 2, 2020 4:23 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    May 2, 2020 4:51 AM PDT

LucasBlackstone said:

If everyone can climb everything I wonder if they will rethink or change some of the utility abilities like Summon Ladder or Length of Rope. Everyone should already have their climbing capped out so as not to be a hindrance and be able to adventure everywhere.

I don't seen how this changes the point of Summon Ladder and Length of Rope: to help a party member who needs higher climbing skill.

They may well be 'capped out', but be slightly lower level (with a lower cap) than other group members, and so, need a ladder or rope to boost their ability in order to follow the higher level group members.

It may well be that a group is all capped out and all the same level, but the place they wish to climb is too difiicult or there is an adverse climate making it more difficult, so a ladder or a rope is the boost they need to take on the content.

There may well be times that a character has leveled a couple, or a few times, without having had a chance to raise their climbing skill, just like they may not keep up with their keeper/perception, crafting, spell schools, whatever.  There will be no doubt multiple ways to mitigate those lacks.

*shrug* It just seems like any other skill to me. Often in need of a temporary boost for many interesting and fun reasons.

I suppose if climbing becomes some kind of 'fundamental' necessity for adventuring, then it might be good to have ropes and ladders be buyable equipment, not just spells/abilities, but wouldn't think climbing should be made something everyone can just do as well as they need to to get everywhere.

This post was edited by disposalist at May 2, 2020 4:53 AM PDT
    • 844 posts
    May 4, 2020 7:32 AM PDT

In the sense of a sandbox style MMO, I like the idea.

Unfortunately, I suspect exploits will be a serious issue.

I hated the parkour aspects in GW2 but someone involved with devving on VR loves it, they've mentioned it in past streams.

I was concerned about seeing the game become too GW2, and now I see that happening.

Hope it doesn't make the game a joke, and lead to serious functional issues or worse, severe cheating and exploits.

• 122 posts
    May 4, 2020 8:43 AM PDT

It makes me think of Everquest... there was this Rug that the NPC would not walk across...and it was fun to mess around with... Now it sounds like they will just pull a bow out and shoot you lol... It is very interesting to think of how this will all work out...

This post was edited by Nytman at May 4, 2020 9:12 AM PDT
    • 99 posts
    May 4, 2020 3:47 PM PDT
    I think the concept sounds awesome hopefully it dosnt mess with pathing and make it easy to exploit. Im glad it will be done in time for testing. The only thing i hope is that they have the willingness to scrap it if it fails. I know of some systems in other games that were broken instead of just removing them they try to make it not so broken. “ you can polish a turd but its still a turd”
    • 9 posts
    July 27, 2020 9:43 PM PDT

Im new to the community and am very interested in this mechanic, is there a fatigue bar or such for climbing for extended durrations, which to overcome you need to advance your endurance skill or a climbing skill? i could see if the bar runs out you'll accumulate damage over time or rather just fall off a cliff face.

This post was edited by Jigantor at July 27, 2020 9:45 PM PDT
    • 810 posts
    July 29, 2020 2:56 AM PDT

Mathir said:

Now, all they need to do is add collectibles/shinies to the game like EQ2 and Rift, and we now have one hell of a collector's paradise trying to track all those things down in the unlimited number of places they could be.  Don't let me down on this VR.

I don't want shinies, I want the keeper system to be about finding these hidden locations.  The abandoned cave reachable after getting up the ice cliff full of lore dumps though the keeper system.  The captains log on a sunken ship.  etc

• 768 posts
    July 29, 2020 11:06 PM PDT

Jigantor said:

Im new to the community and am very interested in this mechanic, is there a fatigue bar or such for climbing for extended durrations, which to overcome you need to advance your endurance skill or a climbing skill? i could see if the bar runs out you'll accumulate damage over time or rather just fall off a cliff face.

They have hinted towards endurance being something that will be linked to climbing.

• 839 posts
    August 2, 2020 3:40 AM PDT

Jigantor said:

I'm pretty sure they mentioned falling off as being what happens when u run out of stamina. Maybe someone else can chime in and confirm.  Its going to be really interesting, because they are talking about wanting to lure you with interesting landmarks, maybe rare mobs in high climable places, but how much are you willing to risk to get there.  Will fall damage be quite brutal from climbing heights? Will climbing an unknown, high rock face require multiple practice runs up and down initially to try and find a fast path at least half way up before your willing to commit to the climb and go for the top!? We'll see!