Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Advice from playing lotro

• 233 posts
    May 1, 2020 6:48 AM PDT
    Hi, I just wanted to leave this advice here.
    Knowing when to end something is important, be it a quest, boss fight or dungeon in general.
    Anyone who's played lotro will probably know what I mean, that game will drag stuff on until you're literally begging for a quest to end.
    They rob all the fun out of most of the content because everything takes so long.
    Just failed a quest called the howling pit, wave after wave of enemies attack you and just when you're hoping and screaming for it to he over another wave attacks, it's so boring and you lose the will try, it also means if you do fail you're likely to never try again or try again years later when you've forgotten how much you hated it.
    Basically finding the right middle ground between fun challenge and mind numbing boredom is the key.
    That's all
    • 2756 posts
    May 1, 2020 4:23 PM PDT

Whilst I wouldn't want a *lot* of quests like that, endurance and persistence is something I would like to see some quests reward...

• 3852 posts
    May 2, 2020 7:00 AM PDT

As a long term LOTRO player I do not at all have the same reaction. The quests and the lore are the best parts of the game and long and elaborate quests are some of the absolute best. The game emphatically does not need more "kill 10 rats" quests and fewer longer and fleshed out quests.

I would make a good bet that Grimseethe, like many of us, tried to solo the howling pit quest. That was a group quest that actually requires a group. More, it requires a special type of gear that otherwise is used only in one area - by the time players get to howling pit they often have upgraded and no longer have much or any of that gear.

These factors made the quest impossible for me and for many others to solo but that doesn't make it a bad quest. It means we were trying to do a group quest requiring special gear solo and without enough of that gear. Furthermore the quest is a one-off. It gives no special reward and is not needed to unlock any other content. I can be, usually should be, and almost always is ignored by most players. But with a real group properly geared it is a lot faster and doesn't seem so endless.

This post was edited by dorotea at May 2, 2020 7:01 AM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    May 2, 2020 9:49 AM PDT

I, too, was a LOTRO player once upon a time - and I remember that quest.  Dorotea is right.

Honestly - when it comes to quests and the like, players define tedium differently.  Many people really seem to dislike quests that ask you to travel around and talk to different NPCs - even if the quest is doing that to *try* and tell you a story.  Personally, I don't mind that at all, but I've seen lots of players in lots of games get ridiculously angry about it.

Sure, I have some pet peeves about quests.  For example, when a quest asks me to kill things but doesn't ask me to bring back proof, that seems wrong.  Is the NPC spying on me somehow?  How does he know I did as he asked?  And so on.  I also don't like quests that feel tacked-on or don't really have a good explanation.  In my mind, Quests are meant to be narratives - stories - and so there should be something to them.

As far as LOTRO goes, the biggest lesson we can learn from that game, I think, is not to implement a mechanic, require it for content and then abandon it later in an expansion without going back and changing the content.  That's exactly what led to the issue with the Howling Pit quest, and they've made that same mistake a few times now if memory serves.  Of course, other games have made that mistake as well.

• 1277 posts
    May 2, 2020 12:29 PM PDT

I played LOTRO for about 30 minutes so I have no comment on that :)  

The quests in WoW (most of them) are WAY to short and easy.  To me those are more like "tasks."  I have nothing against tasks but a quest is something that should take a long time to complete.  Some quests should even take 10 levels to complete.  I have no problem with having a quest in my quest log for 6 months while I try to find out how/where/what the next step is.  In the meantime I can do shorter quests or even tasks.  Just my preference :)

Side note:  The M&M series had a decent quest system.  You'd get a quest at level 10 that was impossible to complete until you were level 25, but to me it held the story together.  I knew a long term goal that I was trying to accomplish while I worked on other short term goals.

• 888 posts
    May 2, 2020 12:32 PM PDT
    We all have different tolerance levels and content that feels compelling to some can feel like a horrible grind to others.

I have no interest in most quests at all. It's mostly just a block of text used to justify a "kill x" or "Fed Ex" mechanic. I have no real control over where the dialog tree goes and I only read it if I absolutely have to. Quests are only interesting to me if my dialog choices matter, if there is more than one way to succeed, and if it isn't a done-to-death quest mechanic.

I do like quest cut-scenes quite a bit, especially if my character and the rest of the party is in it. That's really the only way to do questing in multi-player games since it gives the story line to the whole party.
    • 1479 posts
    May 2, 2020 1:22 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

I played LOTRO for about 30 minutes so I have no comment on that :)  

The quests in WoW (most of them) are WAY to short and easy.  To me those are more like "tasks."  I have nothing against tasks but a quest is something that should take a long time to complete.  Some quests should even take 10 levels to complete.  I have no problem with having a quest in my quest log for 6 months while I try to find out how/where/what the next step is.  In the meantime I can do shorter quests or even tasks.  Just my preference :)

Side note:  The M&M series had a decent quest system.  You'd get a quest at level 10 that was impossible to complete until you were level 25, but to me it held the story together.  I knew a long term goal that I was trying to accomplish while I worked on other short term goals.

I'd agree that wow quests (or FFXIV) are chores and not quests. It's an incentitive to move from farming mobs to farming other, but also not to kill mobs before having quests are no quest item can drop or appear until that. I'd say it's just a soft way to give the impression that it's not a grind and close micro pleasure cycles for a drop of dopamine.

• 42 posts
    May 6, 2020 1:01 AM PDT

dorotea said:

As a long term LOTRO player I do not at all have the same reaction. The quests and the lore are the best parts of the game and long and elaborate quests are some of the absolute best. The game emphatically does not need more "kill 10 rats" quests and fewer longer and fleshed out quests.

That.

Lotro ranks as N°1 on my "best MMO ever" tied with EQ.

And the reason is that Lotro is (or rather had been) a lore driven game if there ever was one. Moria is simply a jewel in that respect. Quests and instance mechanics belong certainly to its strengths. I do not expect Pantheon to achieve such a high level in these compartements because it looks more like EQ which had other strengths but quests or lore weren't it.

As for the Howling Pit mentionned by the OP, the fail was simply due to ignoring basic requirements. First this is a group instance so trying to do it solo or duo is not a good idea. Second it is (almost) easy with Light of Earendil gear what the players should find obvious after first few minutes of fight.

This post was edited by lutorin at May 6, 2020 1:09 AM PDT
    • 1479 posts
    May 6, 2020 1:18 AM PDT

lutorin said:

EQ which had other strengths but quests or lore weren't it.

That I do not agree. Eq had a wonderful yet hidden lore, that's the storytelling that wasn't advanced but honestly I don't like "storytelling driven games" because it doesn't promote curiosity and all lore is served on a plate.

• 233 posts
    May 6, 2020 1:42 AM PDT

lutorin said:

dorotea said:

That.

Lotro ranks as N°1 on my "best MMO ever" tied with EQ.

And the reason is that Lotro is (or rather had been) a lore driven game if there ever was one. Moria is simply a jewel in that respect. Quests and instance mechanics belong certainly to its strengths. I do not expect Pantheon to achieve such a high level in these compartements because it looks more like EQ which had other strengths but quests or lore weren't it.

As for the Howling Pit mentionned by the OP, the fail was simply due to ignoring basic requirements. First this is a group instance so trying to do it solo or duo is not a good idea. Second it is (almost) easy with Light of Earendil gear what the players should find obvious after first few minutes of fight.

Need to clear things up guys i didnt try to solo howling pit.
    I'm not saying in any way i hate long quests or quests that need mechanics or things to unlock or whatever.
    It's much more basic, the howling pit for example, the waves of enemis keep coming until all the fun is gone, same with epic battles, fun for about 5 minutes then more enemy waves appear, until youd rather leave than keep going.

My only point is for devs to realise when the fun stops, does this wave of enemies quest, need 20 waves of enemies or maybe just 8 waves of harder nemies.
    Been playing mmos for 23 years please never tell me how to play them.

• 3852 posts
    May 6, 2020 7:36 AM PDT

We each have our own way of playing - yours is doubtlessly as good for you as mine is for me.

I focused on your references to quests dragging on too long - I don't disagree at all that some fights can be far too long. LOTRO has a few like that but only a few.

• 1277 posts
    May 6, 2020 9:43 AM PDT

It's much more basic, the howling pit for example, the waves of enemis keep coming until all the fun is gone, same with epic battles, fun for about 5 minutes then more enemy waves appear, until youd rather leave than keep going.

My only point is for devs to realise when the fun stops, does this wave of enemies quest, need 20 waves of enemies or maybe just 8 waves of harder nemies.

That is just a really really hard thing to determine.  Everyone has different opinions of how long is too long.  Maybe 8 is perfect for you but too quick for someone else.  Maybe 20 is too long for you, but perfect for someoen else.  Finding a happy medium would be great, but maybe impossible.  Having a variety of different types of quests might solve the problem...unless you're like me and you have a need to complete every quest you start, haha.