Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

The Unknown Item Curse

• 724 posts
    April 24, 2020 9:45 AM PDT
    The Gatherings risks.

We get together in the game. We group for raids and we crowd into towns.
    So my wild idea of the month is :
    "The Unknown Item Curse."

-Say there is an item aquired that is part of a family of items. They do not seem to be related to each other or they are related to each other but not in an obvious manner.
    Example: and item(s)that has a curse is aquired in an unsavory manner. (Killing a bunny or neutral npc of some type.)
    - the item may have some beneficial quality on its own with no I'll effect but has a undecipherable warning in the description.
    - -WHEN three or four or five of these items in (x) family are being possessed by party or group members in proximity they ACTIVATE.
    The activation effect is detrimental to every person who is possession of one of the items.

What does this add to the unknown elements of being in a wild dangerous world and what are some of the detrimental effects can you think of?

NOTE: save your sorry "I hate that idea BS" for someone else. This is just a fun thought and I like the risk factor.

I'm thinking if three items in family (x) are in the pockets of three group members and they all get within 3 meters of each other they all suffer from repeatedly loud flatulence until ....... or .....what else ?....
    • 1277 posts
    April 24, 2020 12:50 PM PDT

Lol.  Fun idea.

I'm curious though, other than fun, what would the purpose be?  To prevent people from grouping if they have said items?  To prevent groups from farming certain areas?  Or just a fun "oops, that happened" kind of thing?

• 724 posts
    April 24, 2020 1:28 PM PDT
    Just a fun thing that happens. Any random chaos is what I'm looking for. If there is to much order I get frustrated and loose interest. That's why I've been divorced thirty four times.
    • 724 posts
    April 24, 2020 1:31 PM PDT
    But now that you pushed me I to thinking deeper: I would not be opposed to the idea of an item being greatly beneficial but having a lable "unknown curse" that when activated does something bad. Like launching the player hundreds of feet into the air, etc etc
    • 644 posts
    April 24, 2020 6:47 PM PDT

I love tihs idea.

And the idea of cursed items is always fun.    Rogue/Moria text MUDs used to do that and you had to get cured to unwield them etc - like a helm that reduced your attack speed and you couldnm't take off.

• 238 posts
    April 25, 2020 12:23 PM PDT

I like this idea and I think it would be cool.

It might be fun to see a system where the curse goes unactivated and undetected until certain requirements are met. With that being said I also think there would need to be a way for either a class utility option or a profession that could remove the curses once they become active. This would give another way for classes/professions to make potential income as well as being sought after. Below are some of the classes that I think would be able to remove/possibly modify curses.

1. Cleric- with their holy training I think they would be able to learn a way to remove cruses on items.
    2. Necromancers- With their dabbling in the dark arts I feel like necromancers would not only be able to remove curses but potentially modify a curse perhaps giving the item a detrimental effect but also a beneficial effect.  
    3. *Paladins- much like their cleric counterparts they have been trained in the holy arts. I think that they would also have a way to potentially remove curses on objects.

As for curse effects, I don't think that any curse effect should be outright deadly. For example, a curse that launches you up in the air 100 yards only to drop you to your death that is bad design when there is meaningful death. Below are some possible curse effects that might be interesting.

1. Unrepairable- an item is unable to be repaired. - Lasts until the curse is lifted
    2. Haunt (fear)- Once activated there is a chance while in combat (or out of combat) that the user will either be feared in place for 2-3 seconds or they will be feared forced to run at random for 2-3 seconds. This effect lasts as long as the cursed item remains in the inventory.
    3. Slowed- Once activated user suffers from a permanent run speed debuff. - Lasts as long as the item remains in the inventory.
    4. Stun- once activated there is a random chance while in combat (or out of combat) that the user will become stunned for 2-3 seconds. - Lasts as long as the item is equipped.
    5. Un-hasted- Once activated the user suffers a permanent attack speed and cast speed debuff. - Last as long as the item remains equipped.
    6. Bane- Once activated every 20-25 seconds there is a chance that the user will suffer dot damage. - Lasts as long as the item is equipped.
    7. ***Non-threatening- this is the first curse that can be either good or bad depending on the class/role. While in combat every spell/ attack has the chance to cause no threat, with a small innate chance to reset threat to 0 on all mobs. Lasts as long as the item is equipped
    8. *** Threating- Counterpart to Non-treating. Attacks and abilities have a chance to generate increased hate, with a small innate chance to enrage targets causing them to turn their focus on you. - Lasts as long as the item is equipped.   
    9. *** Trade-off. This is the counterpart to the un-hasted curse and comes in two forms. Form A a player gains attack speed but looses casting speed, and Form B a player gains casting speed but loses attacking speed. - Lasts as long as the item is equipped.
    10. Fail- All attacks and spells have a higher innate chance to miss or be resisted. - Lasts as long as the item is equipped.
    11. ***Fail trade-off- This is the counterpart to fail and comes in two forms. Form A all melee attacks have a higher innate chance to hit while all spells have a higher innate chance to miss. Form B all spells have a higher innate chance to hit/not be resisted but all melee attacks have a higher chance to miss. - Lasts as long as the item is equipped. 

This post was edited by Baldur at April 25, 2020 2:29 PM PDT
    • 724 posts
    April 25, 2020 6:47 PM PDT
    Wow. Baldur. Get out of my head you wizard. Way to flesh it out!
    Though I still like the idea of something dangerous.
    Such as spontaneous combustion.
    I want to generate chaos.
    • 238 posts
    April 25, 2020 11:13 PM PDT

StoneFish said: Wow. Baldur. Get out of my head you wizard. Way to flesh it out! Though I still like the idea of something dangerous. Such as spontaneous combustion. I want to generate chaos.

These were just a couple of ideas and there are still many more out there that could be explored. 

There are just a couple things that I would voice caution aginst with a system like this.

1. Instant death is not a good mechanic when there is meaningful death. Players need the chance to be able to recover and adapt to dynamic combat and anything that can drop your health more than 10-15% health upfront is not great especially when you are dealing with the disposition system. 
    2. This system should add flavor but also not be overly oppressive to the point that many downright despise it. For example if you have multiple items that fear in your bags being in a constant state fear would be horrible and extremely bad gameplay even if you were just trying to do something as mundane as getting to a city so you could get it removed from the item. 
    3. On the opposite hand curse/ modified curses should not feel like a mandatory requirement for content. For example, rogues shouldn't feel like they have to acquire a weapon/item that increases their melee haste while decreasing their casting speed to be viable, and there should be a trade-off (possibly a strategic proc trade-off) when using that item vs something else.
    4. **** This is more of a side note but Titanforging and Corruption (from WoW) come to mind when thinking about the possible pitfalls of this system. Both of those systems were horrible at invalidating other itemization choices. This is a system that would need extensive player testing should it ever be implemented and balancing the effects would be paramount for its success.   
    • 724 posts
    April 28, 2020 3:46 PM PDT
    Your over thinking it.

Fun. Think fun.

Toss a few crazy things in the mix. I want the wiki to have to be updated weekly as new things are discovered. Not some player customer tested to death predictable watered down grind.

Popup assassin's.

Don't be polite to some traveler and the put a price on your head.
    A gang (scurry) of squirrels that saw you pickup an acorn and lost their fuzzy little ******* minds and rush you 59 to 1.
    I want chaos and I want it to hurt.
    • 724 posts
    April 28, 2020 3:47 PM PDT
    You're. For fu** sake
    • 724 posts
    April 28, 2020 3:48 PM PDT
    Why the F is there a block on swearing. What the @@@##**'@"$:*:@_#-$:$&";@-$&:*:#-#
    • 122 posts
    April 28, 2020 4:32 PM PDT

This Idea sounds like getting rabbies in EQ

• 724 posts
    April 28, 2020 7:53 PM PDT
    Umm....
    Picture this:
    Scene-- Market square. Busy late afternoon light is fading.
    A crowd is about, dealing with the vendors.
    Perhaps 50 players in the area.
    All of a sudden, four of them burst into flame for a few seconds and drop .
    They respawn at the edge and have to hoof it back wearing their unmentionables.
    It's funny.
    It it happens to me I'd laugh
    It it happened to you I'd laugh harder.
    Upon returning the item could have lost the curse or the description is updated to mark the item as cursed. Or maybe even improved somehow....

Feels like a good story there somewhere