Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Not everything about the "good" old days was "goo

• 91 posts
    April 29, 2020 12:50 PM PDT

Will there be a necromancer HAUNT spell?  If I can't bring back my corpse like the good old days without a rez at least I could float around an area proc-ing Fear on the natives

This post was edited by Baerr at April 29, 2020 12:59 PM PDT
    • 1618 posts
    April 30, 2020 5:26 PM PDT

Zorkon said:

Correct, I'm with you on that 100%.  it's even called DEAD.. you died, your no longer alive, your done progressing for the day (at the very LEAST!) is how I would like to see it 

This would destroy the community, in my opinion. If my progress ended for the day every time I died, I would never team with a PUG ever. I would only team with well known guildies, that I had great confidence in. I would never volunteer to help some new person to the game. I would never help some stranger kill a quest mob. I would not risk ruining my entire day to help someone. I would not risk ruining my day to help someone that wasnt familiar with their class and skilled.

If you want a strong community, where people jump at the chance to help each other, you cannot make the consequences of death so harsh that people won't risk helping each other.

• 368 posts
    May 1, 2020 6:29 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Correct, I'm with you on that 100%.  it's even called DEAD.. you died, your no longer alive, your done progressing for the day (at the very LEAST!) is how I would like to see it 

THAT is death hurting, not a bit of lost banked experiance (anything over deleveling is the same as just having some banked to pay for free easy deaths). while you get a free ride back to where you "died" thats just a little inconvieance, thats not DEAD.

Something like this would have to fall into the category of a special ruleset server or even a permadeath server... If there were enough interest in it.

• 1404 posts
    May 1, 2020 6:54 AM PDT

Beefcake said:

Zorkon said:

This would destroy the community, in my opinion. If my progress ended for the day every time I died, I would never team with a PUG ever. I would only team with well known guildies, that I had great confidence in. I would never volunteer to help some new person to the game. I would never help some stranger kill a quest mob. I would not risk ruining my entire day to help someone. I would not risk ruining my day to help someone that wasnt familiar with their class and skilled.

If you want a strong community, where people jump at the chance to help each other, you cannot make the consequences of death so harsh that people won't risk helping each other.

I wasent very clear my intent on that... 

"your done progressing for the day (at the very LEAST!)"  IF you don't recover your corpse. this is in responce to those wanting a quick summoning stone, After 24 hours, ok

• 368 posts
    May 1, 2020 7:14 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Beefcake said:

Zorkon said:

"your done progressing for the day (at the very LEAST!)"  IF you don't recover your corpse. this is in responce to those wanting a quick summoning stone, After 24 hours, ok

Makes more sense, now something like that I could get behind. But you have to be able to play to recover your corpse so I think the natural process of not having your gear available to be able to recover your corpse is sufficient enough to provide a sting. BUT agree, if there is some sort of corpse summoning stone, it should have a long wait timer on it. Like shadowrest in EQ1 but without the ability to send your corpse there, with it only happening on a timer.

This post was edited by arazons at May 1, 2020 7:25 AM PDT
    • 1247 posts
    May 3, 2020 12:50 AM PDT

CR ftw! Hellz yes.

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #gamesnotworlds #aradune

• 2756 posts
    May 4, 2020 3:53 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Beefcake said:

Zorkon said:

I like this idea (as you say, *if* you took an 'easy' corpse recovery option, not the normal route).

As someone who doesn't enjoy the naked aspect of corpse runs (I'd prefer to retain gear. If you died once there *with* gear, getting there again naked can be all but impossible even with your group), but utterly agrees that death should be something to greatly fear; stopping your progression dead for a day would be good (and adding a day for each death!).

Everyone wants to progress, but as someone who wants to spend as much time as possible in the Pantheon world, to stop progression would be an ARGH! moment, but not something that turned me off completely, since I would *sigh* and realise it just means I'll be experiencing this part, whatever it is, for a day longer. You can still gain gold and work on your skills, perhaps, but no XP. Maybe go crafting and gathering. Take it easy and chat.

Death should be feared. If VR add methods to make corpse loss impossible and corpse recovery easier, then the punishment for death should sting more to still make it 'feared'.

• 303 posts
    May 6, 2020 11:32 AM PDT

disposalist said:

Everyone wants to progress, but as someone who wants to spend as much time as possible in the Pantheon world, to stop progression would be an ARGH! moment, but not something that turned me off completely, since I would *sigh* and realise it just means I'll be experiencing this part, whatever it is, for a day longer. You can still gain gold and work on your skills, perhaps, but no XP. Maybe go crafting and gathering. Take it easy and chat.

So basically unless you're a larper there is no point in playing for 24h after death? XP debt makes way more sense, then there's still something to work towards.

• 1404 posts
    May 6, 2020 2:09 PM PDT

Spluffen said:

disposalist said:

So basically unless you're a larper there is no point in playing for 24h after death? XP debt makes way more sense, then there's still something to work towards.

well, yes.. if your too scared to recover your corpse.

• 2756 posts
    May 7, 2020 3:27 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Spluffen said:

disposalist said:

well, yes.. if your too scared to recover your corpse.

Exactly. It's not the normal case, it's for if you choose to take the 'easy' way out of somehow 'summoning' your corpse. Ie. There is no 'easy' way, just choices and consequences, none of which make death trivialised, but remove the very rare but possible corpse/gear loss.

• 303 posts
    May 7, 2020 3:41 AM PDT

Oh, I see. Yea that sounds nice, a way to keep corpse runs but removing the risk of permanently losing your corpse (if it fell to the bottom of the ocean or whatever)