Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What's your story?

• 9115 posts
    April 20, 2020 4:38 AM PDT
    What is your best "Just 5 more mins" gaming story? #MMORPG #communitymatters
    • 119 posts
    April 20, 2020 7:09 AM PDT
    The raider room in highkeep.

I "just five more minutes"d myself into a ~48 hour EQ marathon that I skipped two days of highschool for. Totally worth it though, since when I finally logged out of that session, the goblins were green to me and I'd made a handful of good friends that came and went through the group during the spree :]
    • 1278 posts
    April 20, 2020 10:01 AM PDT

Man, I have so many "just 5 more minutes" stories but I'll tell this one:

Around 1998, a while after Diablo 1 came out, I went over to my cousins house to play it "with him" ... which back in those days meant one person plays and one person watches.  It was fairly common back then ;-)  We may have even taken turns on the computer, etc.  Anyway, we started playing after dinner and planned to just play an hour or so.  Time came and went and it was getting close to bed time.  That's when the "just 5 more minutes" started kicking in.  We ended up playing all night...we heard his dad eating breakfast in the next room over and tried to be real quiet.  When his dad went outside to head to work we continued.  A few hours later the sun was coming up and we were about to finish the game.  Just 5 more minutes and we'd finish...so we did.  Right after the final boss, as the cut seen of the devil is playing on the screen, his mom opens the door, looks at the screen and says "What in the world is going on?!  You guys can't play that game!!!!"  Not to mention the staying up all night part.  Nonetheless, my cousin looked up and said "Ok, we won't play it anymore" smiled, and walked out.  

This post was edited by Ranarius at April 20, 2020 10:02 AM PDT
    • 1584 posts
    April 20, 2020 12:11 PM PDT

To me my 5 more minutes have come a lot from WoW, always telling ymself just one more dungeon, one more quest, one more anything and before i know it it was 5 hours later and still saying 5 more minutes, 1 more quest, 1 more dungeon.............

This post was edited by Cealtric at April 20, 2020 12:11 PM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    April 20, 2020 12:44 PM PDT

Probably having to wait hours to get into an awesome grouping spot then not wanting to leave even though my head is hitting the desk becase I'm so tired.

• 19 posts
    April 20, 2020 5:35 PM PDT

Never seemed to fail. When I was in a group in EQ, just grinding exp, I'd announce that I had 5 more minutes before needing to log for the night, that's when the group would wipe. And suddenly 5 minutes turned into 30.

• 114 posts
    April 20, 2020 5:47 PM PDT

with "just 5 more minutes" ... that's after I left whatever group I was in and just couldn't log off.  I'd go around Freeport or Thurgadin (my "home base") and check all the vendors to see if someone "accidentally" sold something "good" to a merchant.  Then I'd ... "just 5 more minutes" ... would port up to the moon Luclin and rinse repeat my merchant stalking facination.  Then I'd "just 5 more minutes" and by now this is around 2-4 am PST and hang around East Commons as that was the unofficial official Trading zone on 7th Hammer.  My goal being on the lookout in the tunnels and the empty homes for people dropping bags to twink stuff.  Never did "luck out".  Then I'd ... "Just 5 more minutes" and hit Southern Karana and kill trash mobs trying to figure out the secret of spawning "Quillmane".  Hunted "Quillmane" for 4 real years.  First kill I got the leggings Second kill I got the mantle.  Back then had a 12 slot bag filled with "clickies" for my one and only barbarian warrior.  Having see invis and levitation was SO awesome.  Then I'd "just 5 more minutes" and I'd kill Freeport Militia and sell the fine steel and hand in the helmets to the Paladins.  Eventually my Rallos Zek aligned Warrior could walk around more of the Paladins and some/most of the Clerics in FP.  Plus that fine steel is what I used to fund my invisibility potions habit.  Each night I would use on average 4 or 5 to reach groups.

yep ... that's what I did with "just 5 more minutes" and just couldn't make myself log off just yet.

• 133 posts
    April 20, 2020 6:34 PM PDT

My best "Just 5 more minutes..." Moments were with my dad, believe it or not. I can remember a few of them so vividly. One was when we wer playing D&D, I was 7 and learning how everything played aside form just moving pieces around on the table from when I was younger than 7. I can remember ordering pizza and getting everything out and ready. Dice, pop, books and paper and were were all set. My mom use to help my mother play, but after a whole, it would get late and then it would be bed time. I can remember my mom taking the pizza box out (as we always got an extra large for more pizza on the sunday for more gaming) and she said "alright, it's 9, you have to get to bed." I can remember we were getting to a really good part and I can remember asking for 5 more minutes, and my dad looked over and the only thing he said was "it's saturday, leave her." and that was the end of that conversation. We played for another half hour before I went to bed.

Another time I distinctly remember was when I was 13. Baulders gate had just come out to the PS2 and my dad had managed to get his hands on a copy of it. At this time I had a longer bed time, but still a bedtime none the less. it got to be about 10:30 about hald an hour before my weekend bed time and once again, my mom had said "I can't believe the graphics on this thing, it looks amazing; but it's nearly time for bed though" and I can remember asking her for just 5 more minutes. She shook her head and had started taking her teacup out to the kitchen and my dad, not missing a beat, or a button was like "Dear, it's friday night, leave her." and once again, it was left at that, and we were up until about 1 in the morning. It was one of the rare days my dad had off on the friday, so we both took advantage of that. It was rare my mom and dad disagreed on bedtimes and things, but when it happened, it was glorious.

• 7 posts
    April 20, 2020 7:29 PM PDT

AC pop after ~23 hours. I feel like that doesn't need any more explanation.

• 430 posts
    April 21, 2020 12:10 PM PDT

Kilsin , had you asked ( what your most memorable experience within a short story would have told you mine ) but 5 mins longer geez every night or day is my answer lmao . :) 

Im a addict :) how about you tell us yours ? :)

This post was edited by Shea at April 21, 2020 12:58 PM PDT
    • 368 posts
    April 24, 2020 2:27 PM PDT

MM launch weekend. Giving out half a level a run. Spent 48+ hours straight playing in a packed ass high keep before they nerfed the xp amount.

This post was edited by arazons at April 24, 2020 2:27 PM PDT
    • 644 posts
    April 24, 2020 6:39 PM PDT

EQ fanatic while also traveling a lot for business.  Back in the days of dial up modems.  We had logn distance phone cards for work with a zillion numbers you would program in so you could get connected while traveling.

I was in the airport on a layover and sat next to a payphone.  Plugged into the RJ11 jack (those were common then) and used my phone card to dial in.

Next tihng I know I looked aournd and saw all different people because I had missed my flight.   They even called my name over the PA and I never even heard them.

I told everyone I missed a connection.

• 1278 posts
    April 24, 2020 8:16 PM PDT

fazool said:

...I told everyone I missed a connection.

That is hillarious.