Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - Describe your thoughts on...

• 9115 posts
    April 16, 2020 6:51 AM PDT
    In One Word - Describe your thoughts on gaming pod casts #MMORPG #CommunityMatters
    • 3852 posts
    April 16, 2020 7:05 AM PDT

Irrelevant.

Unless they give specific information on where the game stands and that information is kept from these official forums in which case infuriating.

I am old fashioned. I play games I don't watch streams of people talking about playing games.

• 2419 posts
    April 16, 2020 7:17 AM PDT

off-topic.

• 500 posts
    April 16, 2020 7:22 AM PDT

Tangential.

• 724 posts
    April 16, 2020 8:01 AM PDT

Pointless

(at least, mostly pointless. I'm with dorotea - what is the point of listening to others talking about a game? Unless they are about very specific topics like the Pantheon dev podcasts, which I enjoy listening to)

• 1404 posts
    April 16, 2020 8:14 AM PDT

dorotea said:

Irrelevant.

Unless they give specific information on where the game stands and that information is kept from these official forums in which case infuriating.

I am old fashioned. I play games I don't watch streams of people talking about playing games.

Exactly!

• 521 posts
    April 16, 2020 8:16 AM PDT

I won’t listen to a generic gaming pod cast, but a MMO Pod cast about the MMO I’m playing I will listen.

• 1584 posts
    April 16, 2020 8:22 AM PDT

I listen to PodCast from time to time, just to catch up on thing in a short amount of time, and if they say something interesting i do my own research on it, and gain my own opinion on the subject, so all in all i think they can be something you can do to past by the time, and maybe hear about something you didn't know yourself.

• 1303 posts
    April 16, 2020 9:37 AM PDT

Selectively. 

If there's a podcast, specific to a game I'm interested in, which is from a content creator that I find interesting and compelling, I will sometimes watch presentations. But usually only if the topic is clearly defined up front so I'm not spending an hour listening to critique of the color of flowers along some path. There are a few podcasts creators out there now for Pantheon that I enjoy, but I kinda wish they would more clearly put out an outline of topics to be covered in a specific episode. I'd look forward to catching some things live or deep dive into the archives if I knew what was going to be covered, but I have no interest in dedicating to watching every episode in hope of finding nuggets i'm interested in. So, most often I just dont watch them at all. 

• 200 posts
    April 16, 2020 9:42 AM PDT

They help pass the time while driving to work.

Kilsin, very rarely do I ever see anyone comply with your "one word" request... just sayn. Also, start a podcast (about Pantheon that is).

This post was edited by WarKnight at April 16, 2020 9:43 AM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    April 16, 2020 10:46 AM PDT

WarKnight said:

They help pass the time while driving to work.

Kilsin, very rarely do I ever see anyone comply with your "one word" request... just sayn. Also, start a podcast (about Pantheon that is).

Thats because they are against Kilsin's fourm guiedlines  Rule 12 listed right under "The following will not be tolerated:"

General Rules to follow- The following will not be tolerated:

12) One word replies such as but not limited to: /thread, Agree, +1, Amen, Same, gg etc.

• 2037 posts
    April 16, 2020 11:08 AM PDT

Ambivalent

• 560 posts
    April 16, 2020 11:10 AM PDT

I have never found podcasts to live up to my expectations so I for the most part stopped trying to find ones I might like. For clarity when I think podcast, I think audio only not video. If you add in video, I like them for games that are not out to help follow development progress but once the game is out, I have zero interest.

The only way I could think of to participate in this question was to break the one-word rule. @ Zorkon best quote of the rules I have ever seen lol.

• 947 posts
    April 16, 2020 11:15 AM PDT

Forlorn

• 1479 posts
    April 16, 2020 11:50 AM PDT

Boring

• 1277 posts
    April 16, 2020 4:48 PM PDT

I do not know because I do not watch/listen to them.  Every game I've played for the last 35 years I've preferred to play myself rather than watch other people play (or listen to people talk about).  My two oldest sons (10 and 8) really enjoy watching Minecraft videos online but I just don't get it.  Why watch other people play when you can play yourself.  They seem to enjoy it and I don't see any harm in it...so it continues.  On the other hand, I have watched many hours of Pantheon videos online, but that's only because the game isn't out yet.  This is also the first game I've ever spent time looking at/watching/researching before the game was even in open beta.  Hope it works out :)

• 200 posts
    April 16, 2020 5:18 PM PDT

Ranarius said:

I do not know because I do not watch/listen to them.  Every game I've played for the last 35 years I've preferred to play myself rather than watch other people play (or listen to people talk about).  My two oldest sons (10 and 8) really enjoy watching Minecraft videos online but I just don't get it.  Why watch other people play when you can play yourself.  They seem to enjoy it and I don't see any harm in it...so it continues.  On the other hand, I have watched many hours of Pantheon videos online, but that's only because the game isn't out yet.  This is also the first game I've ever spent time looking at/watching/researching before the game was even in open beta.  Hope it works out :)

I'll say I'm more similar to you, but one can learn a lot from watching someone else play. It can be beneficial to observe different techniques and possibly implement into your own play style.

• 46 posts
    April 16, 2020 11:39 PM PDT

gateway drug?

Great when you still don't know anything about the game and is just checking it out, useless when you know where to get your fix.

• 627 posts
    April 17, 2020 1:14 AM PDT
    Mehh
    • 2756 posts
    April 17, 2020 3:17 AM PDT

Sure.

I'm really not sure how people can be so damning (or even too enthusiastic) about a 'podcast' with no clue as to what kind or level of information might be in it.

For me, any info is good, though.

Would a podcast be any different to the dev roundtables, though? They are just visual and tend to be a Q&A and chat format.

Is a 'gaming' podcast really just 'listening' to someone play?  Surely not.

This post was edited by disposalist at April 17, 2020 3:18 AM PDT
    • 947 posts
    April 17, 2020 6:59 AM PDT

WarKnight said:

I'll say I'm more similar to you, but one can learn a lot from watching someone else play. It can be beneficial to observe different techniques and possibly implement into your own play style.

I can totally understand where you are coming from with this opinion, but at it's core it leads to what has been killing MMORPGs.  Everyone ends up comparing themselves to others instead of bringing their own personality/character into the "world".  This is along the lines of DPS meters and Elitist cookie-cutter "builds" pigeon-holing players into thinking there is a specific way that they should be playing in order to "enjoy" a "game".  It is grossly misleading and utlimately defeats the purpose of "playing" an RPG.  (I also feel that having too specific/rigid of a lore, instead of basic guidelines for "player characters" leads down this same path (especially for the more creative personalities), but that's a whole other topic).  

Watching someone else, or reading someone else's suggestions limits a player's own imagination/creativity, but I understand that people have different levels of creativity/imagination.

Add:  In WoW - I made it a personal objective to make my own builds and tear apart people using "cookie-cutter" builds that they read about on Elitistjerks.com.  I'd also destroy DPS with the "non-meta" builds too.    

This post was edited by Darch at April 17, 2020 7:19 AM PDT
    • 99 posts
    April 17, 2020 7:29 AM PDT

PantheonPlus Rewind

• 200 posts
    April 17, 2020 7:50 AM PDT

Darch said:

WarKnight said:

I can totally understand where you are coming from with this opinion, but at it's core it leads to what has been killing MMORPGs.  Everyone ends up comparing themselves to others instead of bringing their own personality/character into the "world".  This is along the lines of DPS meters and Elitist cookie-cutter "builds" pigeon-holing players into thinking there is a specific way that they should be playing in order to "enjoy" a "game".  It is grossly misleading and utlimately defeats the purpose of "playing" an RPG.  (I also feel that having too specific/rigid of a lore, instead of basic guidelines for "player characters" leads down this same path (especially for the more creative personalities), but that's a whole other topic).  

Watching someone else, or reading someone else's suggestions limits a player's own imagination/creativity, but I understand that people have different levels of creativity/imagination.

Add:  In WoW - I made it a personal objective to make my own builds and tear apart people using "cookie-cutter" builds that they read about on Elitistjerks.com.  I'd also destroy DPS with the "non-meta" builds too.    

Good points. I will say I didn't think about it much from an mmorpg perspective since I haven't played one in so long. I was thinking of a few times where I gathered some good ideas from watching others play Overwatch.

• 114 posts
    April 17, 2020 3:40 PM PDT

no impact.

I might play one in the back ground while I post items to my store on Ebay.  ie: even then I'm not paying attention. just something to fill the numbing tedium of posting items.

• 768 posts
    April 18, 2020 1:19 AM PDT

It's not something I usually seek out. However depending on the topic and the way the podcast session is being delivered, I could be interested. 

I haven't missed 1 dev roundtable, to my understanding that isn't much different. 

This post was edited by Barin999 at April 18, 2020 1:20 AM PDT