Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - How do you deal with a PC crash

• 1315 posts
    April 14, 2020 4:19 AM PDT

vjek said:

Vandraad said:

I routinely sacrifice small woodland creatures to the pagan god of computers and digital devices just so my PC never crashes. 

Yep. Same.

*shakes his head*  You two!!!  Now I know why I kept finding file mice tied too the computers with cord when I was working campus IT.  I always though it was just a bad frat joke.

BTW my PC NEVER CRASHES *knock on wood, throws salt over his shoulder, eyes that squirrel trying to rob my bird feeders*

• 7 posts
    April 14, 2020 4:38 AM PDT
    Throughout my days I've had enough power supplies blow during a session that I keep an extra on hand now. Depending on how late it is I might just give up and go to bed or I might replace it right then and there.
    • 273 posts
    April 14, 2020 5:31 AM PDT

cownose42 said: Throughout my days I've had enough power supplies blow during a session that I keep an extra on hand now. Depending on how late it is I might just give up and go to bed or I might replace it right then and there.

I've been toying/building PCs for nearly 30 years and have never had a power supply blow on me. If it's that common a problem you're probably not buying something quality or properly rated for your system. Power delivery can have such adverse effects on your system, if there's one piece of it you shouldn't cheap out on it's your PSU.

• 238 posts
    April 14, 2020 5:52 AM PDT

It depends on what caused the crash and what I was doing at the time of the crash.

If I was raiding with my guild at the time I usually try to text the raid leader, one of the other officers, or the guild leader to let them know what is going on so they can manage accordingly. If its a power surge/outage or an internet outage I pray that it passes super fast so I can get back in asap. The only time I freak out and have a meltdown is when something in my computer is causing the issue. I don't do extreme overclocking unless I'm playing an FPS game so overheating is generally something that is not a huge concern for me. 

• 238 posts
    April 14, 2020 6:11 AM PDT

eunichron said:

cownose42 said: Throughout my days I've had enough power supplies blow during a session that I keep an extra on hand now. Depending on how late it is I might just give up and go to bed or I might replace it right then and there.

I've been toying/building PCs for nearly 30 years and have never had a power supply blow on me. If it's that common a problem you're probably not buying something quality or properly rated for your system. Power delivery can have such adverse effects on your system, if there's one piece of it you shouldn't cheap out on it's your PSU.

I have to agree with Eunichron on this.  I have only ever had ONE power supply blow up on me in the 21 years that I have been gaming and I'm pretty sure it was due to a malfunction within the unit its self due to its age, not the power demand placed on it. It had been safely and properly functioning for 5 and 1/2 years before it went boom and no changes had been made to the overclocking/ components within the computer. 

If you are commonly having this problem you need to look at the power requirements for your components, the temperatures that your CPU and GPU are hitting, and your overclocking settings. Also, it never hurts to go a step above what you need in terms of wattage, or a couple of steps above if you are looking to future proof.

• 103 posts
    April 14, 2020 8:22 AM PDT
    For most games like Wig I'll just turn it back on now if it happens in pantheon I will rebuild the entire machine to the highest of standards to ensure it does not happen again. :p
    • 724 posts
    April 14, 2020 8:53 AM PDT

If it's a software crash: Reboot, log back in, apologize to group/raid members and move on.

If it's a hardware crash: Throw up hands in desperation because it's friday afternoon and the shops that could fix the problem all have closed over the weekend.

Luckily, the second sort hasn't really happened to me yet :) Although I have had several graphics card failures in different PCs over the years, but these announced themselves early by random glitches and blackouts, so it wasn't a total surprise when they finally failed.

• 223 posts
    April 14, 2020 10:37 AM PDT

Power back on and hoping its not something that equires rebuilding a new pc while it boots.

• 33 posts
    April 14, 2020 11:15 AM PDT

I'd like to see some basic AI take over your character while you are link-dead. I hate when a healer crashes and he just stands there... when the mobs would still heal.  With Heroes of the Storm and other online competitive games, basic UI takes over... they suck and you'd rather have the player there... but it's not something that just stands there.