Forums » News and Announcements

Naming NPC !

• 40 posts
    April 6, 2020 7:53 AM PDT

I just received my email from VR about naming an NPC - part of my package from the early days!

Hmm, now I need to think of some names - names that I will not be using for my characters....

Moving on, hoping Alpha starts this year.

• 2419 posts
    April 6, 2020 8:00 AM PDT

What I find interesting is that not a single pledge level actually says 'Name and NPC'. There are '5 item renaming vouchers' mentioned, but nothing specific to naming an NPC.

• 6 posts
    April 6, 2020 8:18 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

What I find interesting is that not a single pledge level actually says 'Name and NPC'. There are '5 item renaming vouchers' mentioned, but nothing specific to naming an NPC.

The very first packages I think had it. The modified them a few times.

• 557 posts
    April 6, 2020 8:47 AM PDT

Advisor Pledge (Circa 2015) included "Name an NPC" along with multiple other perks that are no longer included.

The letter today said, "You've backed us from the earliest days of the project..."   

This just shows that VR are holding good on their promises, even ones made 5 years ago.  It's great to see things taking yet another step forward.

• 40 posts
    April 6, 2020 9:23 AM PDT

Celandor said:

Advisor Pledge (Circa 2015) included "Name an NPC" along with multiple other perks that are no longer included.

The letter today said, "You've backed us from the earliest days of the project..."   

This just shows that VR are holding good on their promises, even ones made 5 years ago.  It's great to see things taking yet another step forward.

This...

I was in the KS, which failed, then I pledged when it opened up after KS closed. There were several games I put a bit of money into, this one, and a few others. This is the only one I am still excited about. CoE seems to have failed, Shroud of the Avatar could not hold my interest, and a few others. I recently played WoW Classic, which was fun for a few months, but then the population thinned enough to be un-fun. I am back to playing LOTRO, as I bought lifetime right at the end of beta, and still have fun through the many expansions over the 12+ year history.

Thinking positive thoughts to VR.

• 3016 posts
    April 6, 2020 9:52 AM PDT

I have that pledge package Vandraad..its from the early days...Originator.   I got to name an NPC.   Progress..we are moving forward.  :)  I was also in the Kickstarter..did my pledge the summer of 2014.

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at April 6, 2020 9:53 AM PDT
    • 12 posts
    April 6, 2020 10:34 AM PDT

Im a old KSer advisor, just got the email as well..  Submitted my mothers name so she can live on in the game, passed last june.

• 2419 posts
    April 6, 2020 10:42 AM PDT

Given that we know nothing at all about the languages of the various races (other than generic human, that is), coming up with a name that even barely fits within the style of the racial language will be impossible.  No offense to Thump, but lets say he decides to play an Ogre and wants to name an Ogre merchant after his mother..would a name like Gretchen Johnson really fit within the Ogre language?  Or is this request to name an NPC just a 'give us a name and we'll find an NPC out there somewhere to which we apply that name'?

• 12 posts
    April 6, 2020 10:45 AM PDT

No offense taken, but the form allows for name and race to be submitted

• 4 posts
    April 6, 2020 10:46 AM PDT

I'll be honest, I forgot about this perk. I pledged a large amount back in the day which included the name an NPC. Glad to see they are a trustworthy and honorable company that plans to respect the packages from back then! 100% reinvigorated support. But yeah, these are old old support packs. I popped in my support for the Cohort's Pledge after the KS didn't go through. I have always been a huge fan of this project, and I wish I had the time and ability to play in the pre-alphas. Unfortunately for me, time became a premium resource and work had to come first. Eventually I will have my time to shine here. In the meantime, I hope they pick my 1st NPC name as it is a reference to an old D&D character of mine which became my first recurring online persona for fantasy games.

• 3016 posts
    April 6, 2020 12:07 PM PDT

Well to be honest I chose three different names and three different races.   The names were from my own favorites ..not copied from a book or a movie..but basically concocted from my imagination.  I am sure the Devs will decide if any names fit.   Shouldn't be using real people's names ..think there are some restrictions on that.   

Cana

• 99 posts
    April 6, 2020 12:45 PM PDT

People who may be more familiar with game developement what does this say about where the game might be? Would this mean that alot of the core NPC's are completed those relating to quest lines and such and these are more for filler NPC's? Or is this something that means little other then they are starting to take names to fill in as they continue to populate various zones? 

• 4 posts
    April 6, 2020 1:06 PM PDT

Hard to tell. The best thing about names is you can really change them any time you want until the game is released to the public (and even then, not uncommon to see). More often than not, names are figured out in the Alpha stage and stay static so players who already know where they are will be used to it. The NPCs will probably just have an identification number that can be referenced in code so any name pointed to that ID will appear in all context and conversations regarding them. I would love to be some sort of main important NPC, but you never know what role we are going to get here.

This post was edited by Bancheis at April 6, 2020 1:06 PM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 324 posts
    April 6, 2020 1:21 PM PDT

To answer some of the speculation, these NPC names can be used for a variety of purposes. They can be quest givers, shopkeepers, or just regular inhabitants of Terminus. 

• 2419 posts
    April 6, 2020 2:02 PM PDT

Artois said:

To answer some of the speculation, these NPC names can be used for a variety of purposes. They can be quest givers, shopkeepers, or just regular inhabitants of Terminus. 

But can we say "i want this name applied to this specific NPC" or, as I'm guessing, you are taking names and will apply them where you want.  Some people, like myself, may want to be naming a specific NPC.

• 557 posts
    April 6, 2020 2:28 PM PDT

I suspect the prominence of the NPC which receives the name(s) you submit will be directly related to nothing more than whether the devs feel the name is creative/appropriate with regard to the lore.  If they like the name, it's front and centre, otherwise, your name could be on shopkeeper #7 in a market stall in a remote town.  It's a bucket of names and you get to drop a few in.  There was never any insinuation that you'd be able to choose where the name was used. 

So far as what beans does this reveal about the overall state of development, it says things are healthy and moving forward.  Nothing more.  Stop over analyzing every breath and morsel of information.  Sometimes a shoe is just a shoe.

• VR Staff
    • 324 posts
    April 6, 2020 4:23 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Artois said:

But can we say "i want this name applied to this specific NPC" or, as I'm guessing, you are taking names and will apply them where you want.  Some people, like myself, may want to be naming a specific NPC.

The development team has complete control over where each name is used.

• 160 posts
    April 6, 2020 5:11 PM PDT

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen

I want to say the perks after the kickstarter were slightly different than the chart on this link.

Thanks for the email, VR!

This post was edited by Nuggie at April 6, 2020 5:12 PM PDT
    • 136 posts
    April 8, 2020 7:59 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Artois said:

So you can want to CREATE an NPC, not just name one.

• 1921 posts
    April 8, 2020 9:48 AM PDT

Bankie said:

So you can want to CREATE an NPC, not just name one.

Whaaat?  Do you think this is Shroud? Heheh. "Create/Name an In-Game NPC - Exclusive Early Founder Rewards are only available to Backers who pledged any amount by May 20, 2013"

• 888 posts
    April 12, 2020 10:16 AM PDT
    If anyone needs help coming up with a name, MST3K has some good suggestions: https://youtu.be/RFHlJ2voJHY
    • 3016 posts
    April 12, 2020 3:41 PM PDT

Artois said:

Vandraad said:

Artois said:

The development team has complete control over where each name is used.

As it should be I am good with that Artois.  :)   I'll be glad if ANY of my submitted names are chosen.   Not expecting anything more than that. :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    April 12, 2020 3:44 PM PDT

Counterfleche said: If anyone needs help coming up with a name, MST3K has some good suggestions: https://youtu.be/RFHlJ2voJHY
    Thanks for the suggestion I'd rather choose names for myself than have it come from someone else's brain. :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    April 12, 2020 3:44 PM PDT

Double post sorry

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at April 12, 2020 3:45 PM PDT
    • 11 posts
    May 21, 2020 4:07 PM PDT

I was happy to get the Name email, and the one recently about name a point of interest.  It's been a very long time since I ponied up, and it is wonderful to see things are coming along.