Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Class and race restrictions need to change

This topic has been closed.
    • 945 posts
    April 4, 2020 5:16 PM PDT

Just adding a note:  Everyone that has access to post on these forums has backed the game financially.  With that said, it is safe to assume that we all want the game to succeed, so lets stop the petty back and forth.  The devs will decide what they decide, and we will either be happy with their decisions or not.

Edit: And just for the record @Oldwargoat, I never mentioned or even eluded to Brad in any of my comments so please keep my name out of your posts when making accusations that state otherwise.

This post was edited by Darch at April 4, 2020 5:20 PM PDT
    • 196 posts
    April 4, 2020 5:21 PM PDT

hey no problem

• 196 posts
    April 4, 2020 5:23 PM PDT

Darch said:

Just adding a note:  Everyone that has access to post on these forums has backed the game financially.  With that said, it is safe to assume that we all want the game to succeed, so lets stop the petty back and forth.  The devs will decide what they decide, and we will either be happy with their decisions or not.

Edit: And just for the record @Oldwargoat, I never mentioned or even eluded to Brad in any of my comments so please keep my name out of your posts when making accusations that state otherwise.

hey no problem I will ask if i could quote you next time.

• 945 posts
    April 4, 2020 5:30 PM PDT

@Oldwargoat, no need to ask to quote someone - it is actually encouraged that you quote someone if you are going to accuse them of stating something.

• 79 posts
    April 4, 2020 5:47 PM PDT

i think this thread should be locked its devolved into a flame war

• 119 posts
    April 4, 2020 6:14 PM PDT

Despite being an advocate of race/class restrictions, I'm also amenable to the cosequences posted earlier in the thread. If restrictions were to go, I'd be perfectly happy with penalties/bonuses for certain classes, perhaps based on the matrix, and maybe the boon for humans being 'no penalties/bonuses for anything'. But hey, if you wanna be an Ogre Rogue, you're gonna have to overcome some awful sneak/hide/stat deficits or something. Maybe alter your ideal gear set to compensate a bit. That'd be cool.

• 839 posts
    April 4, 2020 8:44 PM PDT

Beefcake said:

VR has their plan. It's their world. Getting all hatey with each other is not going to convince VR to change their kind. Do any of you think the way you disrespect each other will convince VR of your view's superiority? 

How about we all just be civil, state our viewpoints logically, and accept that others disagree?  VR is going to build THEIR game. I am sure a completely toxic forum environment will not help them get more investors and get the game done sooner. These type of arguments just make the customer base look childish and toxic.

Great post mate. 

It's a crazy time for our species right now, let's just be sensitive of each other's current emotional state as well. We're probably more likely to snap at each other now more than ever if we start to push buttons

• 47 posts
    April 5, 2020 11:25 AM PDT

EQ2 did that any class any race thing. it breaks immersion and some connectivity to what could be reality.  High elves not being shamans and Ogres not being paladins makes sense, and increases overall sense of immersion of who you group with.

• 99 posts
    April 6, 2020 4:31 AM PDT

Is possible to ignore someone on the forums so that I dont have to read anything that they post? asking for a friend hehe

• 557 posts
    April 6, 2020 2:49 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Trasak said:

I've always been a fan of consequences rather than restrictions.

Want to be an ogre mage? Prepare to have a weak main stat and need to travel to a city with a mages guild in order to train, oh yeah do you have the faction for that?

The class race restriction then turn into class/race optimizations. This of course means that starting stats need to have an actual effect of class balance and if you want to do something unusual you need to work for it. This becomes easier to justify and build mechanics for with the Progeny system than straight out of the box.

I like the way you think and share your sentiment.  Choices that have consequences can be interesting and engaging.  Player agency is a beautiful thing and is one of the biggest draws of open-world gameplay, for me.  I have played MMO's where oddball race/class choices had serious consequences and it went a long way toward making the world feel alive.  If you saw a max-level ogre mage, for example, there was a measure of respect you would have for that player.  It showed that they were willing to commit to a character that didn't subscribe to the meta and had the patience and dedication to overcome the many obstacles that stood in their way toward achieving max-level.  As I have stated previously in this thread ... there are plenty of people who embrace challenging gameplay.  I have some really fond memories of characters who purposely went down that path and I hope that progeny can give players an outlet for creativity and interesting non-meta character development.  Bring on the roleplayers and challenge seekers!

I'm totally on board with what Trasak and 1AD7 are laying out here.  I think I said as much in the 4th post in this thread, but they put it more succinctly.

So far as the overall path of this thread, it's unfortunate to see the level of toxicity brought out by someone relatively new to the community.  We need to lead by example and not allow troll bait to lure us down to their level.  That ain't how we roll here.

• 1992 posts
    April 6, 2020 4:12 PM PDT

Celandor said: So far as the overall path of this thread, it's unfortunate to see the level of toxicity brought out by someone relatively new to the community.  We need to lead by example and not allow troll bait to lure us down to their level.  That ain't how we roll here.

My feelings exactly

• 399 posts
    April 6, 2020 4:19 PM PDT

Oldwargoat39 said:

SO you dehmanizing me as well why thank you very much.

Am i the only one seeing this as "demonizing" as opposed to "dehumanizing"... or do those two mean the same thing for all intents?

Ok back to sleep... (see you next year)

• 2130 posts
    April 6, 2020 4:31 PM PDT

Durp said:

Oldwargoat39 said:

SO you dehmanizing me as well why thank you very much.

Am i the only one seeing this as "demonizing" as opposed to "dehumanizing"... or do those two mean the same thing for all intents?

Ok back to sleep... (see you next year)

Neither makes sense, so it's pretty moot.

• 393 posts
    April 6, 2020 4:50 PM PDT

Darch said:

Joppa just said a couple weeks ago that they are changing some of the race/class combinations... assumably because the currentt race/class matrix doesn't make sense like a lot of us have mentions.  The lore was written AFTER the race/class matrix was developed 3 years ago, proving that the current matrix was not designed based off of the lore (that is still being written) to just end that debate. 

Thanks for posting this Darch. I've been following a lot less this past year, so it's nice to catch up. I am glad the devs will review the class/race restrictions. It seems a bit awkward to me. But I don't require a completely open class/race determination and appreciate some restrictions. Especially if they make sense and have a degree of playable fairness involved.