Forums » General Support

potential funding?

• 171 posts
    March 11, 2020 11:54 AM PDT

Has VR discussed internally the potential of packaging and selling the different AIs/animations/assets/scripts/etc. on the Unity asset store to increase funding?

• 680 posts
    March 11, 2020 3:09 PM PDT

Not really a support question, but I'm sure this thread will get moved accordingly.

Consider that VR is a small shop.  As soon as you start selling something you need designated staff to support it.  Also, they don't have a large team, so it would be pretty weird if they sold IP and it appeared on the market in some other game prior to Pantheon.  That would make Pantheon feel like a cheap clone of some other game, when in fact VR created the content.

This post was edited by Celandor at March 11, 2020 4:40 PM PDT
    • 171 posts
    March 12, 2020 10:02 AM PDT

Yeah I guess my mind was thinking of a different definition of support when I wrote this haha.  no clue where "suggestions" should be posted. 

As for supporting products on the Unity Asset Store, is that actually a thing?  I have never purchased anything from the asset store, but if I did, I wouldn't be expecting to have any support on it.  

And I agree it would be odd to see characters or behaviors being released in other games first, possibly they can wait until the game is in beta or even released to help fund maintenance and growth of the game on top of the sales and subs the game will have.  I just don't see why, if they are spending all this time to create all these amazing tools in Unity that they should not profit from them as best as they can. 

• 589 posts
    March 12, 2020 11:55 AM PDT

Kargen said:

I just don't see why, if they are spending all this time to create all these amazing tools in Unity that they should not profit from them as best as they can. 

I believe that the major value of the tools VR has created is that they are designed specifically for Pantheon's specific construction of the basic Unity game engine. As such, they would have little correlation or value to anyone building a different game. As far as art assets go, it seems to me that it would devalue  the quality of Pantheon for players to see the same assets in other games.

Not to mention the huge PR hit that would come from all the rampant speculations about VR's financial state if it was noticed by the Gaming Media (OR the 20,000 members of this forum) that VR was selling off assets. Hoo-boy would that cause a s**t storm.

This post was edited by Jothany at March 12, 2020 11:55 AM PDT
    • 171 posts
    March 13, 2020 11:00 AM PDT

Jothany said:

Not to mention the huge PR hit that would come from all the rampant speculations about VR's financial state if it was noticed by the Gaming Media (OR the 20,000 members of this forum) that VR was selling off assets. Hoo-boy would that cause a s**t storm.

Haha true, maybe i'm just being too much of an opportunist here..