Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

# of character slots?

• 17 posts
    March 9, 2020 4:56 AM PDT

Have they mentioned how many character slots will be available? Seeing as how one of the pledge perks is an additional slot, to me that is an indicator that the number may be fairly small. 

If there were 10 slots, having an 11th slot from your pledge perk doesn't seem like that big of a deal. 

• 2756 posts
    March 9, 2020 5:44 AM PDT

Grayjackgaming said:

Have they mentioned how many character slots will be available? Seeing as how one of the pledge perks is an additional slot, to me that is an indicator that the number may be fairly small. 

If there were 10 slots, having an 11th slot from your pledge perk doesn't seem like that big of a deal. 

Your logic is sound, but I'm hoping for lots. I don't want to be deleting characters just so I can try getting lots of variations to, say, 20th before I pick a primary main.

• 3852 posts
    March 9, 2020 7:48 AM PDT

A very basic consideration is whether slots will be per game as in EQ2 and other games or per server as in LOTRO and others. I do not think we have this information yet - it quite likely will be decided closer to release after other decisions are made about server configuration.

Assume purely for the sake of analysis that there are four servers. Getting 3 slots per server would be far different from getting 12 slots total to use as we wish. So too would be the value of the bonus slot for pledging.

• 1921 posts
    March 9, 2020 8:09 AM PDT

I think originally many of the design goals revolved around a single character per account.  At least, up until 2016 that kinda sorta seemed to be how some of the dev responses were, contextually.  Many of the pledge goals offered around that time (2014-2016) seemed to indicate having more than a very small number of characters per account would be a reward worth pledging for.  Yet, there have been some changes in design goals, without altering that pledge reward..

The number of alts for crafting was one big one that was one way for many years then suddenly was changed (without any PA testing or explanation) to:  Yeah, we might/may/probably will allow a single character to have more than one crafting profession.  This was post-2017, though, so it hasn't been updated in the living-document FAQ for ~3 years.

The real head scratcher is that despite being totally ok with multiple characters per customer, that same logic isn't applied up to the account level.  So, one person can have say 10 accounts, or however many will be necessary to obtain the goal of having a full range of crafting alts, for example.  It's a strange philosophical inconsistency to/from restrictions that apply to account, the customer/player, or per character.
    Some of the design goals have been around limitations per character, but ignore the trivial bypass of per customer/player.  Those that ignore the customer/player bypass certainly permit multiple accounts.
    It's evidently ok for a single player to have access to all crafting professions, via however many accounts or alts are required. 
    Ok, so, it's apparently money related?  If you're willing to pay2win, you can pay to win crafting, by paying for all the accounts necessary to have all the crafting professions?  I guess?
    But then, now, maybe you can do it all in one character, so.. it's not money related? -.-

I think in light of the past, most developers have resigned themselves to reality;  If a player wants to have access to crafting alts to bypass arbitrage and extortion interdependence?  They will.  All you do by attempting to enforce artifical/ineffective arbitrage and/or extortion interdependence is amplify the value of customers willing to bypass it, and punish those unwilling, more.  Not ideal from a retention perspective.

• 627 posts
    March 9, 2020 8:27 AM PDT
    A hand full of slots will be a good start and the option to buy additional from there is fine.
    • 1278 posts
    March 9, 2020 8:57 AM PDT

I personally would be ok with one character slot per account lol...but I wouldn't ask for it for everyone.  It's just my style to pick a character and stick with it. 

I see no reason why people shouldn't get to play as many alts as they want and if they must be on different servers that would be fine as well.  

• 888 posts
    March 9, 2020 4:43 PM PDT
    It will most likely depend on if / how much they want to monetize extra character slots for. There are too many variables to know yet (we don't even know how many servers there will be). Personally, I'm hoping for lots of slots since my ADHD basically gives me permanent alt-itis.

Suggestions:
    Allow one extra character slot for each year pledged.
    Instead of a set Max number of characters, allow a Max number of characters below level 20. This will allow alt-lovers more flexibility while still limiting all the unused nameholding low level toons.
    • VR Staff
    • 324 posts
    March 9, 2020 4:45 PM PDT

We haven't decided on the amount of character slots that will be available. As we have a pledge reward that gives you an extra character spot, we are evaluating how many are appropriate. This is something we will continue to assess until we launch.

• 1860 posts
    March 9, 2020 5:20 PM PDT

Not sure if everyone realizes that you will have the option to play all the classes through the progeny system with only 1 slot?

• 388 posts
    March 9, 2020 7:41 PM PDT

nope. 6 years into developement and they were still discussing Coin Weight less than a month ago. They haven't even decided THAT yet. 

I would bet on 0 slots cause there has to be a game to have character slots. 

• 2756 posts
    March 10, 2020 3:19 AM PDT

Flapp said:

nope. 6 years into developement and they were still discussing Coin Weight less than a month ago. They haven't even decided THAT yet. 

I would bet on 0 slots cause there has to be a game to have character slots. 

Yeah they said there would be no coin weight some time back.

There are no doubt lots of things where they develop toolage and systems intentionally so that the final detail can be easily set later when they know better what their testers and customers like or dislike.

So for "they haven't decided" perhaps think "they don't want or need to decide and, if they did, they don't want to tell us everything anyway"?

This post was edited by disposalist at March 10, 2020 6:23 AM PDT
    • 2756 posts
    March 10, 2020 3:21 AM PDT

philo said:

Not sure if everyone realizes that you will have the option to play all the classes through the progeny system with only 1 slot?

It'll be great to get to level 50, retire my character, try a new class-race and decide I didn't like it after all.  I can just level to 50 and retire again, I suppose?

I'm thinking progeny is nothing like having extra character slots ;^)

• 99 posts
    March 10, 2020 4:39 AM PDT

I agree with Disposalist on the previous two posts I dont think progeny system will work like that, the amount of time it is going to take to level a char to progeny level will be extensive. Also there is no coin weight other than that. I would prefer a larger character slot somewhere in the 6-8 range but hope that I could create more chars on other servers if I ever choose to

• 1921 posts
    March 10, 2020 7:21 AM PDT

Artois said:

We haven't decided on the amount of character slots that will be available. As we have a pledge reward that gives you an extra character spot, we are evaluating how many are appropriate. This is something we will continue to assess until we launch.

Given the massive impact such a decision will potentially have on crafting, has the decision as to whether or not a single character can  master more than one crafting profession been made? 
    The last time it was mentioned by a developer, it was a "maybe".  Is it now a "yes" or "no" ?
    Or is this, also, going to be a design decision that you will continue to assess until launch?

• 3852 posts
    March 10, 2020 7:25 AM PDT

((Not sure if everyone realizes that you will have the option to play all the classes through the progeny system with only 1 slot?))

There is no certainty that Progeny will even be in the game, much less as to the details of how it will work. I hope it will be but as others have noted it is no substitute for having adaquate character slots.

• 2419 posts
    March 10, 2020 7:35 AM PDT

Artois said:

I'd just love to know how much time and money has been dedicated to this one decision over the last SIX years that it has yet to be finalized.

• 1278 posts
    March 10, 2020 7:59 AM PDT

I'd just love to know how much time and money has been dedicated to this one decision over the last SIX years that it has yet to be finalized.

Lol I'm guessing they've spent almost ZERO time and money on this issue.  It's not something they even need to think about yet.  What are you imagining?  Full company all day meetings dicussing this one issue?  Now your pessemism is grasping...even you see that right :)    

• 1921 posts
    March 10, 2020 8:04 AM PDT

If it's such an easy decision or issue to resolve, it should have been made back when the pledges were introduced, right? In 2014.  Otherwise, why was it added as a pledge reward?

• 1278 posts
    March 10, 2020 8:11 AM PDT

Who said it was an easy decision?  There may be some debate on it, it might not be an easy decision.  I just don't see how that even matters at this stage in development.  It's probably on a list of "to-do" items and they don't plan on talking about it until the things above it on the list are complete.  

• 1921 posts
    March 10, 2020 8:16 AM PDT

It matters because people have donated money presuming an additional character slot has value.  In some cases, for some people, the rewards are the reason for the pledge.
    If they permit 20 characters per server, then the pledge reward is cheapened/lessened.  The perceived value dropping creates a sense of betrayal for some pledgers.  This is not a positive interaction.
    If they permit 1 character per server (by default, without the pledge perk), and at the same time, only permit one crafting mastery per character, then an overpowered logical argument can be made, and re-selling those accounts for profit now becomes a viable option.
    If they allow any one character to master all crafting professions?  Then it matters a little less. :)

This post was edited by vjek at March 10, 2020 8:17 AM PDT
    • 1278 posts
    March 10, 2020 8:20 AM PDT

Yeah, I get that argument.  That makes sense.  I personally don't care how many slots we get because I typically only play one character anyway, but yeah, I see how it could matter to many people.

• 3852 posts
    March 10, 2020 8:26 AM PDT

Many decisions will affect the value of pledge rewards. For example, one pledge reward is a month's subscription. Yet while a subscription model is likely it is not certain. If they chose a different model that reward could be useless. Unlikely but not impossible.

• 287 posts
    March 10, 2020 6:19 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Artois said:

A safe bet would be zero and zero. No need to give it any thought until close to launch. All we need to know is that there will be more than 1, and less than infinity. Other than that, why does it matter right now?