Forums » The Monk

Grappling moves

• 141 posts
    March 2, 2020 8:16 AM PST

I feel monks could use some grappling moves !

most martial arts pratice some form of Grappling.that consists of gripping or seizing the opponent. Similarly to wrestling, grappling is used at close range to gain a physical advantage over an opponent such as imposing a position, or to cause injury to the opponent.

Grappling techniques can be broadly subdivided into clinch fighting, takedowns and throws, submissions holds, and pinning or controlling techniques, and sweeps reversals, turnovers, and escapes.

this could be potentally be used for a brief form of cc or a very temporal debuff when target is knockdown well i belive this could in some way give monks a broader utility arsenal.

i will perhaps not play a monk for main so i have limited opinion here. i would like monk to have some other fighting style options beside hitting with hand and feet.

best regard Aqua =)

• 498 posts
    March 2, 2020 9:49 AM PST

I think this a great idea.

I also think that the number of animations (for every mob that a Monk might fight) means that there's no chance we'll see it at launch.

But it never hurts to have it on the list of possibilities for an expansion :)

• 1662 posts
    March 2, 2020 3:29 PM PST

The problem is its usefulness and managing the effect it has on both the monk and the target.  Do you think you can grapple a giant worm?  How about a colossal dragon?  How about grappling a fire elemental?

I like the idea, and it works great in pen/paper games, but not so sure about this kind of game unless you really want to suspend your belief on what is possible.

• 498 posts
    March 2, 2020 3:44 PM PST

That's certainly a point. However if a snake can kick me, I think I can grapple a worm :)

Trying to grapple a fire elemental might well result in taking fire damage while fighting and so would require strategic thinking about exactly who to grapple and who to not grapple.

• 141 posts
    March 3, 2020 8:16 AM PST

kelenin said:

The problem is its usefulness and managing the effect it has on both the monk and the target.  Do you think you can grapple a giant worm?  How about a colossal dragon?  How about grappling a fire elemental?

I like the idea, and it works great in pen/paper games, but not so sure about this kind of game unless you really want to suspend your belief on what is possible.

Well foremost this is a fantasy mmo many things dont make sense,like swimming in full armor respawn when you die or can carry 30 2-handed swords in your 8 backpacks if it is realism you should look for survival games with perma death functions.

and you are right throwing a dragon around is somewhat unrealistic grappling a fire elemental well i dont think using your fist on him is a realistic good idea either.

Many classes will have some restrictions on them like using cold spells on ice creatures,some mobs might be highly resistance to stuns or cc perhaps even have a obcene high ac making physcical attacks less effective.

And last grappling moves arent only throws it can be used like a positional move like throwing your oponent of balance making your next follow upp attack more likly to hit and a higher chance for a critical attack.lockdowns and holds can perhaps only be used on humanoid mobs (medium or perhaps large) sadly it also comes with a cost because you are in a lockdown to, so i will say it is a tactical move.and if mobs have some sort of hold themself, then monks shouls have a higher chanse to break free.

And one more thing the biggest problem is most likly the animations like jothany said.

This post was edited by Aqua at March 3, 2020 8:18 AM PST
    • 461 posts
    March 3, 2020 8:18 PM PST

Break the wrist, and walk away.

• 28 posts
    March 11, 2020 4:57 AM PDT

I understand that Kung Fu is more "fantastical" and thematically fits better in a fantasy game, but as a huge fan of MMA I wish the hand to hand combat in game was a bit more in line with practical martial arts. 

• 69 posts
    March 11, 2020 8:01 AM PDT

How does a rogue Backstab if you are grappling and if you are grappling wouldnt that mean you have aggro? Monks are good for pulling but should not be tanking.I could get behind some elbows or flying knees but not grappling

• 1662 posts
    March 11, 2020 12:29 PM PDT

SugarWood said:

How does a rogue Backstab if you are grappling and if you are grappling wouldnt that mean you have aggro? Monks are good for pulling but should not be tanking.I could get behind some elbows or flying knees but not grappling

According to the monk page, they are considered off-tanks.