Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Randomly generated items in Pantheon?

• 1428 posts
    March 2, 2020 11:14 AM PST

Shadowbound said:

Try Dark Age of Camelot on the Phoenix server, it's completely free. The RNG loot system there will show you very early on that this post is absoluitely corect.

One of the best things about EQ was the hunt for unique loot, and I'd really hate for Pantheon to not deliver a similar experience by adopting a loot lottery system.

or just goto work and get a rng paycheck.  i'm sure that's alot of fun XD

• 1315 posts
    March 2, 2020 11:28 AM PST

Crafted items were King in DAoC before Tides of Atlantis by design.  RNG items really just exist to be salvaged for raw materials to be taken to a crafter to have base items crafted.  There were named items, but a crafter could make a perfect item for that character of higher quality from the salvaged materials from any named than the named actually was.  There was also permeant durability damage, so all items had a finite lifespan.  It is a completely different item life cycle then EQ.

• 370 posts
    March 2, 2020 10:52 PM PST

Nusser said:

Remember this does not have to be so for all items. Have items like:

The Crown of Great Gobling King Snotface:
    +5 strength +5 Agility AC 50 (and have this item fixed to these exact numbers)

but also have in items like:

Goblin Helmet:
    +3 strength +3 Agility AC 30 (and let it go from 2 - 4 instead of the fixed 3 attribute points + maybe let the AC vary between 27 - 33)''

I don't think such a system - if balanced right - would subtract anything from the overall experience of the game, only add to it, as mentioned on bullet points 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the very first post. I get why people would be concerned about finding outright bad-versions of good loot that you have quested for, for a long time. But then just let those items randomness be very small, or none at all on certain items.

The problem with this is say someone is wearing the Goblin Helmet, another drops with better stats. They are going to want to Need the one with better stats because it is an upgrade. Randomized stats cause more issues than they solve.

• 2756 posts
    March 3, 2020 1:04 AM PST

EppE said:

Nusser said:

Remember this does not have to be so for all items. Have items like:

The Crown of Great Gobling King Snotface:
    +5 strength +5 Agility AC 50 (and have this item fixed to these exact numbers)

but also have in items like:

Goblin Helmet:
    +3 strength +3 Agility AC 30 (and let it go from 2 - 4 instead of the fixed 3 attribute points + maybe let the AC vary between 27 - 33)''

I don't think such a system - if balanced right - would subtract anything from the overall experience of the game, only add to it, as mentioned on bullet points 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the very first post. I get why people would be concerned about finding outright bad-versions of good loot that you have quested for, for a long time. But then just let those items randomness be very small, or none at all on certain items.

The problem with this is say someone is wearing the Goblin Helmet, another drops with better stats. They are going to want to Need the one with better stats because it is an upgrade. Randomized stats cause more issues than they solve.

The need vs greed thing is a whole argument to itself, though?

If someone fought the same amount of time in the same camp then the fairest thing is for everyone to roll on everything, every time, otherwise people just get the drop they want and just leave because staying is worthless/pointless.

If people are kind/stupid enough to fight even though they know someone else will be given the good drop, that's their thing. Good for them.

If someone wins a drop they already have, then it's up to the others who want it to beg for it or bid for it.  You would hope that the winner would sell it there and then for a discount, but that's up to them.

Relating to the argument above, the winner who already has one simply swaps it and sells the slightly lesser version.

If it's NO DROP or some such, then, of course, the system would change and you'd have to take it in turns and suffer the usual instances of people winning the item then suddenly needing to go for a vital RL issue or mysteriously disconnecting...

• 1315 posts
    March 3, 2020 8:32 AM PST

The Crown of the Great Gobling King Snotface

Base item: Masterwork Steel Half Helm (50 AC, 2 runeslots)

Rune 1 +5 Strength: Lesser Strength Rune (Crafted from tier 2 clay and the blood of a lvl 15+ named Berserker Disposition)

Rune 2 +5 agi: Lesser Agility Rune (Crafted from tier 2 clay and the blood of a lvl 15+ named Agile Striker Disposition)

Style: Goblinoid Royal (Unique look)

Goblin Helmet:

Base item: Normal Bronze Half Helm (30 AC, 1 runeslot)

Rune 1 +3 strength +3 agi: Lesser Bloodseeker Rune (Crafted from tier 2 clay and the blood of a lvl 15+ named with both Berserker and Agile Striker Disposition)

Style: Goblinoid Helm

Where randomizing might work is exactly which rune spawns but with the ability for a smith to successfully remove the rune, destroying the rest, rather than salvaging just the raw metal.  Chance of success will be relative to the smiths salvaging skill and the items level.

• 1428 posts
    March 3, 2020 10:39 AM PST

Trasak said:

Goblin Helmet:

Base item: Normal Bronze Half Helm (30 AC, 1 runeslot)

Rune 1 +3 strength +3 agi: Lesser Bloodseeker Rune (Crafted from tier 2 clay and the blood of a lvl 15+ named with both Berserker and Agile Striker Disposition)

Style: Goblinoid Helm

Where randomizing might work is exactly which rune spawns but with the ability for a smith to successfully remove the rune, destroying the rest, rather than salvaging just the raw metal.  Chance of success will be relative to the smiths salvaging skill and the items level.

i'd have it where the base drop always drops and only certain professions can smash items to upgrade it.

goblin helmet, since it metal, blacksmith would need a certain level.  i would need 2 of the same helmet to smash plus additional mats. it becomes a plus 1 goblin helmet if successful.

if it fails, the max durability goes from 100 to 90.

this can be max durability can be repaired with another goblin helm to go back up to 100.

so the only way to have an upgraded item is repeated farming the item.

it's very similar to how bdo has items.  creates alot of replayability and consistent farming sessions.

also blacksmiths of a higher level can manipulate the stats on it with reagents of course.

• 1277 posts
    March 3, 2020 11:08 AM PST

What is this talk about durability?  Items won't have a durability in this game, correct?

• 1428 posts
    March 3, 2020 11:14 AM PST

Ranarius said:

What is this talk about durability?  Items won't have a durability in this game, correct?

i'd like to think of it as a 'health bar' for equipment.  after wiping 7 times, i think equipment would be dead too.  could be repaired at your local blacksmith, leatherworker, tailor, etc.

who knows really.  game is in prealphaeternity.  it's subject to change :o

• 1714 posts
    March 3, 2020 12:52 PM PST

I absolutely despise the idea of randomly generated loot in a game like this. It is antithetical to multiple core tenets and gameplay principles. This isn't diablo. 

• 81 posts
    March 3, 2020 2:30 PM PST

Honestly I would much rather there be no gear drops from mobs. 

IMO mobs should drop crafting components only and all items should be made by crafters.

Dont want that Orc's tongue ?  Sell or trade  it to the alchemist so he can make potions.

• 287 posts
    March 3, 2020 5:02 PM PST

KatoKhan said:

Honestly I would much rather there be no gear drops from mobs. 

IMO mobs should drop crafting components only and all items should be made by crafters.

Dont want that Orc's tongue ?  Sell or trade  it to the alchemist so he can make potions.

If that orc fought with a sword or club why shouldn't it be able to drop that weapon?  I've always thought it absurd that I can't take what I see from the corpses of the fallen.  And when collecting 1200 wolf paws for some underwhelming quest I should only have to kill 300 wolves but noooooo, each wolf only drops one paw.  wtaf?

• 1277 posts
    March 3, 2020 6:13 PM PST

And when collecting 1200 wolf paws for some underwhelming quest I should only have to kill 300 wolves but noooooo, each wolf only drops one paw.  wtaf?

You butchered the other 3 paws trying to cut them off the wolf?!  Such a simple task, and you were only able to do it 25% of the time.  Har har