Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

spell lines and their improvement by AP

• 74 posts
    February 22, 2020 12:18 PM PST

after talking with a friend about spell improvement I have several confusing thoughts about the system of improving spells

things we know
    1 the AP we will start to win from level 1 every time we go up one level they will give us one which suggests that they can be spent from early levels
    2 the spells from what we saw has spell line
    slow 01, slow 02, slow 03, hot1 01, hot1 02, hot1 03
    we assume that as we gain levels we will acquire these new versions of the same spell

I apologize and I hope they clarify it to me if they said it somewhere and I didn't find out

but it doesn't seem that when I (for example, lvl 10) win the first spell of the slow line aka slow01 and improve it with the APs, the entire slow line will automatically be improved

which brings me 2 doubts

1 Are the slow 01 and slow 02 spell enhancements and subsequent ones the same or different?
    if they are the same let's say that at level 10 I slow the 01 slow and I improved it with my first points and at lvl 20 I get the slow 02 but I have no points to improve it then I continue using the slow 01 because improved is stronger than the slow 02 to lvl 30 I already obtained AP to improve the slow 02 but at the same time I also have the slow 03 which would improve this and would go from using 1 to 3 as if the slow 2 did not exist which would be weird and confusing
    AP could also be reset every time we get a new version of the line that we want to improve but it would be a bit absurd to be resetting the points all the time

2 or my second doubt that each spell in the line does not have the same improvements by AP which in the end would change the essence of the spell multiplies the possibilities but in the background it seems strange to me for example in the video we saw that the first HOT improvement aka hot1 01
    it gave a chance to cure poison if hot1 02 for example cure magic and hot1 03 cure disease would be practically different spells but those of low level would not be effective in their essence for the level at which we use it
    I explain myself, we are in an area where poisoning is common, the hot101 could be in my spell bar because of the possibility of curing poisons but it is not effective as far as regenerating HP
    which raises another doubt I could put hot1 01 and hot1 04 to the same target at the same time or when I put hot1 04 to be of a higher level I would overwrite hot1 01

I feel that my thoughts are confusing and I fear that I have not expressed myself correctly I hope that someone can understand what I intended to say and tell me their thoughts about it

• 2037 posts
    February 22, 2020 1:45 PM PST

I think I understand you well enough. I already saw the same concern expressed some place else on the forums right after the stream. I haven't yet heard an answer.

It appears that most spell improvement by AP only cost 1 point for the 1st improvement. So even if they don't explain it to us, it will only cost 1 AP to test it once we get into the game.

I'm sure that at some point (they might not have decided on the system yet) they will tell us the answer. And I'm sure that your concerns have already occured to the Devs. (if not, they'll hear about it when Kilsin reads your post hehe)

• 1860 posts
    February 22, 2020 2:08 PM PST

It should make you make choices like that. 

Maybe you want to save points for a higher lvl spell?  Maybe you only want to spend your points at lower lvls on spells that won't get an upgraded version?

At least its not limited so you can go back later and fill them in.

They havent mentioned if you can allot a certain percentage of your exp gain toward extra points instead of 100% leveling or how that will work exactly (like you can with AAs in EQ).

I also wouldnt be surprised if there was a way to be able to re-spec your points eventually. 

Maybe when you restart through progeny your previously earned points could be refunded?  That seems like it would fit well with the system. 

I can see some sort of limited respec down the line being necessary as more expansions come out and players are mad that they wasted points on outdated spells that have been given an upgraded version,.

This post was edited by philo at February 22, 2020 2:12 PM PST
    • 2037 posts
    February 22, 2020 2:20 PM PST

Somewhere recently it was said that the current idea is to be able to respec points for an ingame price in gold and each time one respecs it will cost substantially more.

• 1860 posts
    February 22, 2020 2:34 PM PST

Yes that was mentioned in passing.  I was under the impression that they were considering it and not that it would necessarily end up that way.  But that they wanted to let people know that respec'n was on the table.  Maybe I need to relisten to it?

Was it definitive that was the way it would be?

This post was edited by philo at February 22, 2020 2:38 PM PST
    • 2037 posts
    February 22, 2020 2:43 PM PST

Not as definitive as many other "not set in stone" concepts.

• 1860 posts
    February 22, 2020 2:44 PM PST

Lets say it is just a gold sink to respec.  I wonder how they would decide to balance it?  You think it is something that they would let people afford to respec in the tens of times in order to "try" out spells?  Or does it ramp up so quickly that it becomes unaffordable?

You run into people respecing for a specific fight if it is cheap.  Maybe that is ok?  Kinda like the LAS in that you plan your action points out ahead of time for X mob?  It could end up being a serious gold sink if it was balanced that way...though I don't know if they would want us using the system that way?

• 2037 posts
    February 22, 2020 4:04 PM PST

My impression is that the price will go up very steeply, but I wasn't paying close attention at that moment.

Even with high prices, people who play the game more for the gold than the xp can accumulate enormous piles of gold. And I'm uncomfortable with any real, fundamental character qualities being easily changed with something as trivial as ingame money. I'm hoping it's structured as a "rescue a char that I went totally wrong in developing but don't want to reroll" rather than a "respec for the weekly raid" kind of thing.

• 1277 posts
    February 22, 2020 4:50 PM PST

I was under the impression that only certain spells and abilities will even have the option of upgrading with points.  In the video there were only 8 or so spells that even gave the option of upgrading.  None of the low level spells had the option.  Of course, that doesn't mean much since this was just a demonstration of how it COULD end up working.  

• 2037 posts
    February 22, 2020 6:11 PM PST

Ranarius said:

I was under the impression that only certain spells and abilities will even have the option of upgrading with points.  In the video there were only 8 or so spells that even gave the option of upgrading.  None of the low level spells had the option.  Of course, that doesn't mean much since this was just a demonstration of how it COULD end up working.  

Quite true. They never said that ALL spells could be upgraded (as far as I can remember lol).

• 627 posts
    February 22, 2020 8:33 PM PST
    I hope for different upgrades paths of the spells, it might be a lot of work but would be cool for sure.
    • 1277 posts
    February 22, 2020 8:59 PM PST

BamBam said: I hope for different upgrades paths of the spells, it might be a lot of work but would be cool for sure.

Yeah, I was hoping for that too, but from this demo (at least so far) it doesn't look like it'll be like that =(  

Was hoping that play A could choose a certain type of upgrade to a spell, while person B chooses a different upgrade for the same spell.  

• 627 posts
    February 23, 2020 1:05 AM PST
    Ye i mean theres very limited choice and variation if everyone eventually get the same version, only deppending on what to upgrade first. But I like the system all in all its good!

The epic abilities sounded cool aswell and way harder to upgrade.
    • 74 posts
    February 24, 2020 11:11 AM PST

Jothany said:

Ranarius said:

Quite true. They never said that ALL spells could be upgraded (as far as I can remember lol).

in the stream only 5 spells could be improved but if I'm not mistaken Joppa said it was just a sample to see how they worked that we didn't want to spoil everything
    Jothany are correct, not all the skills can be improved, they said in the stream that they taught the book the first time the skill they used as an example that could not be improved was fishing and they could know which cannot be improved because they would not have the slots below

but in that stream joppa said that the system was inspired by two things in the talent tree of the WOW and in the AA's of the EQ1 and nuanced that the talent tree of the WOW was not in the sense of specializing (that they would not be in the Pantheon ) but in that each level that goes up you win a point or two and you can go deeper into your class
    and as far as EQ is concerned, once you reach level 50 you can still make progress with the exp

and with that in mind the system is supposed to be created so that we use the points as we take them

• 74 posts
    February 24, 2020 11:19 AM PST

Ranarius said:

BamBam said: I hope for different upgrades paths of the spells, it might be a lot of work but would be cool for sure.

Yeah, I was hoping for that too, but from this demo (at least so far) it doesn't look like it'll be like that =(  

Was hoping that play A could choose a certain type of upgrade to a spell, while person B chooses a different upgrade for the same spell.  

so I explain Joppa is not going to happen there is no specialization and after a lot of work when all the points are obtained the members of the same class will be equal

Of course, if they do it like the AA's, nobody who plays normal will have them all before they put in more hahahaha

• 2756 posts
    February 24, 2020 11:02 PM PST

This is one of those things that's fun to talk about, but there's no point in being overly concerned or arguing. It can and will change when tested (and I believe they said that).

Personally, I like the idea. I was a little disappointed in the lack of class variation (though I completely understand it from a game design perspective and from wanting clear roles and interdependency and I support the choice) but the upgrades give some variety as it looks to me like you will be very high level before having enough points to enhance everything, so characters will vary a little with the 'path' of their choices as they level, though all will be able to perform their role.

This post was edited by disposalist at February 24, 2020 11:02 PM PST
    • 520 posts
    February 26, 2020 8:06 AM PST

I don't know about respec, but I'm pretty sure we will be able to farm (either items or through exp) AP in order to max out all available spells/abilities (wasn't it mentioned in one of the most recent streams?)

• 1277 posts
    February 26, 2020 10:06 AM PST

Hegenox said:

I don't know about respec, but I'm pretty sure we will be able to farm (either items or through exp) AP in order to max out all available spells/abilities (wasn't it mentioned in one of the most recent streams?)

Yes, it was.