Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Continent Development.

• 99 posts
    February 29, 2020 7:24 AM PST
    I can’t wait to see some of the evil cities and how dark the game will take it. Prisons enslavement camps torture houses eheh maybe I’m taking this a little too far but I really hope there is a real evil feeling all over that continent
    • 2756 posts
    March 1, 2020 1:59 AM PST

SugarWood said: I can’t wait to see some of the evil cities and how dark the game will take it. Prisons enslavement camps torture houses eheh maybe I’m taking this a little too far but I really hope there is a real evil feeling all over that continent

I'm always in two minds about 'evil' for player characters and homes. Yeah, it sounds darkly 'cool' for it to be realistically 'evil', but to most normal human beings quickly becomes depressing and ugly.

EQ managed it pretty well - the dismembered body parts for decoration in Ogre towns and whatnot were almost 'cartoony' so it wasn't too nasty. The dark-but-glowing dark-elf home was actually quite pretty in many ways and the stark, punishing life of the dark-elves wasn't so everpresently portrayed as to be oppressive.

But Pantheon, being a modern game with modern, more realistic graphics would be quite an horrific place if 'evil' were portrayed... well.

Don't get me wrong; I love a good horror film and a dark, gritty fantasy novel, but I wouldn't want to live in one and that's where an MMORPG is different to a film or novel.

• 2036 posts
    March 1, 2020 10:50 AM PST

SugarWood said: I can’t wait to see some of the evil cities and how dark the game will take it. Prisons enslavement camps torture houses eheh maybe I’m taking this a little too far but I really hope there is a real evil feeling all over that continent

I don't remember the details, but in answering a question about faction I think Joppa said that we shouldn't focus too much on the 'Good' vs. 'Evil' aspects of faction. NOT to suggest any change in the importance or functionality of faction in the game.

• 2036 posts
    March 1, 2020 10:53 AM PST

disposalist said:

But Pantheon, being a modern game with modern, more realistic graphics would be quite an horrific place if 'evil' were portrayed... well.

Don't get me wrong; I love a good horror film and a dark, gritty fantasy novel, but I wouldn't want to live in one and that's where an MMORPG is different to a film or novel.

Could not agree more.