Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Today's Stream - 8 Pages of Spells with One Real Actionbar

This topic has been closed.
    • 1428 posts
    February 21, 2020 12:32 PM PST

to be clear:

i'm not anti las.  i would just like the number to be more than 8.  like 9 maybe 10.  24 would be golden.  a median i'd say is las12 uas6.  i think there's maybe 1 or 2 people in the whole thread that is anti las?

• 945 posts
    February 21, 2020 12:42 PM PST

stellarmind said:

to be clear:

i'm not anti las.  i would just like the number to be more than 8.  like 9 maybe 10.  24 would be golden.  a median i'd say is las12 uas6.  i think there's maybe 1 or 2 people in the whole thread that is anti las?

Agreed.  I made a post just minutes before yours that wound up on the previous page (so not many will ever see it) that said:

"Perhaps a good compromise here would be having different LAS for different classes... this could promote the use of some classes over others.  I'd imagine 8 combat slots + 6 out of combat slots is probably overkill for something like an Enchanter or pure DPS (who can change abilities during combat), but playing a DL I can easily list 8 abilities you'll want to have on your bar"  

And those 8 combat abilities are only about half of the ones listed on the confirmed incomplete list of abilities available to the class.

• 1428 posts
    February 21, 2020 12:52 PM PST

Darch said:

stellarmind said:

to be clear:

Agreed.  I made a post just minutes before yours that wound up on the previous page (so not many will ever see it) that said:

"Perhaps a good compromise here would be having different LAS for different classes... this could promote the use of some classes over others.  I'd imagine 8 combat slots + 6 out of combat slots is probably overkill for something like an Enchanter or pure DPS (who can change abilities during combat), but playing a DL I can easily list 8 abilities you'll want to have on your bar"  

And those 8 combat abilities are only about half of the ones listed on the confirmed incomplete list of abilities available to the class.

i'd like that since healers tend to need more apm, followed by cc, then tanks and dps needing the least amount of apm, but it'll be crazy difficult to balance classes based on uneven las distribution.  it would be like typing with 7 fingers instead of 10.

• 1921 posts
    February 21, 2020 1:03 PM PST

It's interesting how many people said they would be happy with 12+, in this thread on the subject back in June 2019.

• 2419 posts
    February 21, 2020 1:19 PM PST

We're 10 pages and 229 replies on a very very hot topic and nothing from @Joppa, @Roenick, @Saicred or anybody @VR as to the reasoning behind this quite serious design decision.  The choice of the 8+6 layout has an impact on every aspect of this game (maybe even crafting) and will have an impact that will last years.  We need reasons and explanations for this design choice, why8+6 and not some other combination, how it is expected to impact content development and how undoing it might happen if it is shown through testing (if we ever get back to doing that) that the 8+6 choice was completely disasterous.

This post was edited by Vandraad at February 21, 2020 1:21 PM PST
    • 1921 posts
    February 21, 2020 1:23 PM PST

It sure would be nice to hear their logical flow and/or market research and/or personal experiences and/or which of the differences, tenets, feautures and/or design goal discussions on how they landed on 8+6, for sure.
    Especially given every video up to this point has shown 12.  It also raises questions regarding the veracity/validity of all the combat testing data collected up to this point, but I digress.

• 1428 posts
    February 21, 2020 1:38 PM PST

Vandraad said:

We're 10 pages and 229 replies on a very very hot topic and nothing from @Joppa, @Roenick, @Saicred or anybody @VR as to the reasoning behind this quite serious design decision.  The choice of the 8+6 layout has an impact on every aspect of this game (maybe even crafting) and will have an impact that will last years.  We need reasons and explanations for this design choice, why8+6 and not some other combination, how it is expected to impact content development and how undoing it might happen if it is shown through testing (if we ever get back to doing that) that the 8+6 choice was completely disasterous.

probably just eyeballing us like little kids and are they creators of the playground making notes.  i mean, they did note in the stream about how the las8 is subject to scrutiny and will adjust it.  i think one could refer to this reduced las8 and uas6 as a 'stress test'.

i remember a stream where the warrior literally had all their banners on a different bar with las12.

we'll get to give good feedback on this subject in alpha, but it sure is fun to talk about it lul.

• 1428 posts
    February 21, 2020 1:47 PM PST

vjek said:

It sure would be nice to hear their logical flow and/or market research and/or personal experiences and/or which of the differences, tenets, feautures and/or design goal discussions on how they landed on 8+6, for sure.
    Especially given every video up to this point has shown 12.  It also raises questions regarding the veracity/validity of all the combat testing data collected up to this point, but I digress.

-pretending to be a vr rep, 'our design philosophy is to help players that have never played an mmo to jump in and not be overwhelmed by all the bells and whistles.  we want 'user simplicity via structural complexity".  if we did our jobs properly here in vr studios, even the most experienced gamer can appreciate the intricacies while enabling someone that has never seen a keyboard to jump right into it like tic tac toe :D  it'll be so intuitive that grandma and grandpa can whoop dat booty on bingo night!

• 1428 posts
    February 21, 2020 1:52 PM PST

vjek said:

It's interesting how many people said they would be happy with 12+, in this thread on the subject back in June 2019.

hey look at that, i ea'd it back then, but my prices are alot more inflated now rofl.

• 9115 posts
    February 21, 2020 2:35 PM PST

Vandraad said:

The team are aware of the thread, as were they aware of the previous thread: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/10688/concern-regarding-number-of-abilities/view/page/1 and the ones before that.

We are a company that listens, not one that reacts hastily to topics that have already been discussed, especially when we are still in PA testing and testing systems and balance just like this.

If you are a PA tester, please use that opportunity to explain in detail why or why not you feel one action bar is good or bad for this game when you can get your hands on it and test it for yourself via our PA forums.

As with everything, we appreciate the discussions and feedback, take it all on board and will consider it as the game develops but please don't argue for pages on an old topic and expect us to drop everything and answer, we are still in very early testing stages and not in a position to overhaul entire combat systems and balances bases on a duplicate thread and a very small portion of our overall community debating the topic.

I will now close this down and ask that you guys don't create anymore on this subject until we get back into testing and you get your hands on it.