Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Fatigued

• 33 posts
    February 5, 2020 2:45 PM PST

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I want to start by saying I've been following this game for years. Also, I'm not so much trying to complain as I want other people's opinion about how long this game is taking to come out. I use to follow every gameplay stream and every newsletter, I was excited to see the classes and the races and have been debating what to main for just as many years. But I'm tired, starting not to care. I'm wondering if anyone else is feeling similar? I've hyped myself up for this game for so long that it has tired me out. Is anyone feeling similarly?

• 2752 posts
    February 5, 2020 2:51 PM PST

It's good to take a break. Forget about the game and come back at a later time, try not to hype yourself up too much about games with no firm release dates in the future. 

• 1921 posts
    February 5, 2020 3:03 PM PST

Happens with every game that has a longer development cycle than EQ1, from what I've seen since 1996. (The Realm, Meridian 59)
    Potential customers can only pay attention for so long.

• 2419 posts
    February 5, 2020 3:25 PM PST

What game are we talking about?

• 438 posts
    February 5, 2020 3:50 PM PST
    He said “this game” so I am assuming Pantheon. And yea dude like Iksar said take some time away and come back lol
    • 332 posts
    February 5, 2020 4:22 PM PST

The main problem is we have nothing to discuss in general , the systems are in place. I simply just check in every few weeks and catch a pod cast .

There is no point in discussing stuff , until we are able to test content.

• 287 posts
    February 5, 2020 5:02 PM PST

peaks and valleys my friend. I took a couple months away from paying much attention as well. Keep in mind that once the game is out, there will be times when you're hooked, and other times when you take a break for an exended period of time. Thus is life. Some good material coming out as of late though, and PA5 seems to be materializing.

• 627 posts
    February 5, 2020 9:04 PM PST
    A long break and maybe Alpha will pop :)
    • 844 posts
    February 5, 2020 9:22 PM PST

vjek said:

Happens with every game that has a longer development cycle than EQ1, from what I've seen since 1996. (The Realm, Meridian 59)
    Potential customers can only pay attention for so long.

1996 - I was in the alpha or beta or pre-something of UO.

But, I too have felt the burnout of this much too long pre-development cycle. I had hopes, but those have faded. And based on suspected current content-development staffing, I forsee dribbles of progress - for years.

• 2756 posts
    February 6, 2020 1:34 AM PST

People who are feeling this way need to take a break. For all our sakes. I get what you're saying, but it serves no purpose and is just a bit of a downer and others jump on the assuming-the-worst bandwagon which, before you know it, is rolling into Argumentville and the Bad-Feelings-All-Around neighbourhood.

We are getting bi-weekly video updates, monthly-ish streams, monthly-ish dev roundtables, newsletters, etc.  They are literally showing us progress and telling us they are working hard on a significant meaty chunk.  They are consistently honest about *not wanting* to show us everything and spoil it.  What else can they do?

*shrug* I've been watching and waiting for, what? 6 years now?  In some ways it feels like forever, but in others it's flown by.  I saw a post I made way back then and it felt like it was recent.  I feel like I'm getting plenty of info to keep me interested.

I do have a family and job and other hobbies and games to keep me busy though...

• 3852 posts
    February 6, 2020 3:15 AM PST

We even just got the February newsletter.

• 107 posts
    February 6, 2020 5:10 AM PST
    As others have said in previous posts,take a break. I've been following for several years myself and find that stepping away for a bit curbs the frustration. Take up a new hobby to divert your attention for a little while. I just got a new puppy...so more of my focus has been more directed towards puppy training. Haha
    • 520 posts
    February 6, 2020 8:10 AM PST

Although I've pledged just a year ago I was following development of Pantheon for much longer and I can say that it's not really an issue for me - I've things to do, books to read, movies to watch and games to play in the meanwhile so no worries - as long as the game will be satisfying and won't be cancelled  I can wait for as long as it takes. Not to mention I had no delusions that it'll be released anytime soon. Try not to fixate and overhype on this and play something else.

This is the way.

• 1281 posts
    February 6, 2020 7:11 PM PST

Xxar said:

The main problem is we have nothing to discuss in general , the systems are in place. I simply just check in every few weeks and catch a pod cast .

Yeah, they either have the systems implemented or at least have ideas for how they plan on implementing the ones they don't. Once that's done and Alpha starts, I suspect a lot more discussion will be had. Right now, it's just a wait.

• 2756 posts
    February 7, 2020 3:53 AM PST

Xxar said:

I wouldn't say there's no point in dicussing stuff - it's always interesting to theorycraft with like-minded folks - but there's certainly no point arguing over stuff too much.

• 145 posts
    February 7, 2020 6:35 AM PST

set your expectations  based on the information at hand they have no specific timeline at all so do not expect the game to come out at all any time soon go do other things have fun elsewhere

• 103 posts
    February 7, 2020 10:31 AM PST
    Other's are giving solid advise here so I'll just say yes I feel you, your not alone following a game in production can wear at you.
    • 33 posts
    February 7, 2020 12:59 PM PST

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was curious if anyone shared these feelings. I come back every 2-3 months to check up on what's new. It's only been disappointing because I've been looking forward to the game's potential for years now. The newsletters are great and so are the streams, it's just not enough for me personally anymore. 

• 370 posts
    February 7, 2020 11:51 PM PST

I took a couple months away from the forums and it was nice. Lets face it too it's almost the exact same debates every month.

• 238 posts
    February 8, 2020 1:13 AM PST

I would reccommend taking a break form the fourms, website, and face book for a while. The Pantheon community has its great points, however, there are also people within this community that end up spreading negativity either intentionally or unintentionally. If you are expirenceing burn out it could be extreamly beneficial to step away for a while and get a breath of fresh air as this negativity can be even more draining.

I would reccomend trying to find another game to play in the mean time, even if its just one that you view to be a supperficial waste of time. I have been watching Pantheon since 2016 and I was in nursing school at the time which helped negate some of my focus off the game. I finished nursing school in 2018 and made the decision to get out for my own sanity. Since then I have been looking into starting and building a streaming career and am happy to report that I am soo close (no one ever tells you about the unexpected expenses). That being said this new career path has been both an awesome and taxing epxpirence interms of exploring the gaming/MMO market. I will say that while it has lead to expirences in other games it has also lead to the solidification of my thoughts reguarding Pantheon. I really want pantheon to be that game where I make my name as a streamer. Not only am I fully behind the old school vision/mentality of the game's design, but VR seems to lack alot of the corrpuption and shady bisness practices which have been made even more apprent in the MMO genre over the last year. 

Getting back to my main point though, it is good to have other outlets that can provide a distraction. I had nursing school and then shortly after I had a business goal that I was wroking towards. Both were great interms of pulling my focus away from Pantheon's development and they happend during a time when news wasn't being released very frequently. I feel like when you put extream focus into one game (especiallly one that is in development) you really rope yourself in to expirencing every up and down that the company themselves face. You also open yourself up to the positivity/negativity within the community and from expirence negativity is extreamly more infective than positiviity, which can lead to a massive drain on a person.  

If you would like some game reccomdations I would look into EQ or EQ emulation servers if you want an oldschool expirence. If you want something more modern EQ 2, Final Fantasy online, WoW, or ESO. I would stick away from ESO if you prefer raiding as endgame content and like unique class idenity (it can be muddy in that aspect). Then if none of those do it for you can also into console gaming, personally I would reccomend Playstation over Xbox. 

• 233 posts
    February 8, 2020 11:31 AM PST

Im still super hyped, even after years.
    Ashes of creation though, a game ive been following for even longer and already put £300 + into, i couldnt care less about it now, the decision they make tell me enough that the game is probably goin got be really pretty and bad.

• 291 posts
    February 8, 2020 11:36 AM PST

Me personally, Im learning how to make videos and getting myself prepared to be a content creator beginning with pantheon. Also Im looking into website design so that this time I can run my own website instead of having a guildee do it. Basically Im justifying all the time Ill be sitting on my butt then, with the ridiculous work mode Im currently driving myself through. Maybe Ill even get into coding a little bit if the games not out till 22.

• 416 posts
    February 8, 2020 12:11 PM PST

@BOGUSBOOTY I definitely feel you. While I am super hyped about Pantheon, I definitely feel the need to take a break and focus my attention elsewhere at times. The majority of reveals we get bi-weekly leaves me confident that Pantheon will be the game that keeps me engaged once it comes out, until then I putter around.

• 45 posts
    February 9, 2020 3:10 PM PST

I learned about the game not sooo long ago and is still super excited about it. With Project Faerthale, the new race models and small graphics updates now and again, I think is great to follow. I get the feeling of wanting more all the time, but that's just how it is when you follow something all the time. At some point, there is just not more stuff to read about so you wait for the next update, and when it finally comes you sit and think was that all? - That being said I think we are sitting on the edge of some HUGE updates coming when Project Faerthale comes live.

• 124 posts
    February 13, 2020 5:59 AM PST

Yeah i'm feeling the same, no worries, its fairly normal.

Every once in a while i browse the fora in search for something new, but most the stuff here tends to go south fairly quick with biased opinions and assumptions and references to how stuff doesn't work in other games (yes i'm guilty of that too).

I just take 'breaks', try not to think about it too much and try to find distractions elsewhere. Even tho that is hard, as most games nowadays seem to have no actual goals like an MMO has. So i try to enjoy them till i get bored again, and restart this cycle :D