Forums » Crafting and Gathering

“ Crafting and the Community ” w/ Massack

• 259 posts
    January 28, 2020 8:48 AM PST

On this weeks “ Crafting and the Community ” we are spotlighting community member “ Massack ”. A huge thank you from Old School Crafters to ” Massack@Massack_Gaming ” for taking the time to answer these few questions for us.

Be sure to check out Massack here:

On Twitter

And on Twitch TV

Remember to check back each week as we spotlight a different community member.

1) Do you enjoy crafting or are you more of the adventuring type?

I enjoy a bit of both but i don’t think a game is ever really complete without a crafting system that i can enjoy sinking hours of play time into.

2) What was your first experience with crafting in an MMORPG?

That would be crafting in Everquest. The system was relatively rudimentary compared to some more modern systems, but i really enjoyed being able to build up to a new item upgrade or something to sell. It was satisfying.

3) Do you have a favorite type of crafting and if so why?

I’m going to say yes, I’ve always been a fan of Tailoring and Smithing especially. Partly because there tend to be a lot of different pieces to be made for every tier of production, and equally so that some systems allow you to use tailoring and smithing to customize the look of outfits which is very important to me.

4) Are you excited with development of the crafting and harvesting skills?

I am definitely excited about the development of the crafting and harvesting skills but i’d be lying if i didn’t mention that i can’t wait to hear more. There are a lot of tidbits that entice me and some things that leave me a touch worried. One such tidbit that i really want to hear more about is the “Recipe” system. I absolutely love the idea of, as a crafter, traveling far and wide for components. Doing similar to collect special recipes i feel would be equally fun. That said, what I’ve heard of it the system itself is very EQ1 where you just pop things in a container and out pops another thing. I don’t see this as show stopper for crafting, but i am kinda hoping that the finished crafting system will be a bit more engaging. 
    The idea of stats being customizable with crafting is definitely an approach i wasn’t expecting when i first heard of it and one i think needs to be kept a close eye on. It could lead to them throwing a cap on the power of customizable item as to not make extremely difficult and dangerous end game content easily replaceable but i more hope that it will be able to compete but equally need materials from said extremely difficult and dangerous end game content.

5) And lastly, how important of a role do you feel crafting should play in Pantheon?

I think it is important for crafting to play a big part in Pantheon. I understand not everyone likes to pursue it and i think that’s fine, it makes it all the more worthwhile for the people who do to be able to sell their items to people who don’t.

That said, having crafting not only be purely about the output of upgrades but also being necessary in quest steps (such as needing to forge things in some of the epic quests for eq1) and offer visual customization for characters is part of what will really cement the role crafting will play in the game. Add to that inter dependencies between tradeskills for a healthy crafting economy and a significant enough amount of effort needed to grow in a tradeskill and i think pantheon would be set.

This post was edited by Shyin at January 28, 2020 8:50 AM PST