Forums » News and Announcements

Post your questions for 1/30 stream here!

This topic has been closed.
    • 52 posts
    January 29, 2020 10:21 AM PST

Like all PA5 info, but more importantly.   I would like to see some new content even if it is not populated.  How has the concept art we have been shown look in the game currently?  We all know there is a long way to go but throw a guy a bone here.

• 1281 posts
    January 29, 2020 12:47 PM PST

- Could you provide some insight into the decision to not have coin weight, and also have it auto-changed to higher denomination when you hit 100?

- If you decide to include mounts in the game, will sitting on a mount increase your mana regeneration similar to if you were sitting on the ground?

- Would you consider shipping the game with only 2 continents?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 29, 2020 12:47 PM PST
    • 287 posts
    January 29, 2020 3:16 PM PST

Zonelines. In the last stream there was some talk about what Faerthale encompassed: that athough it is akin to a "zone", there are distinct different "subzones"(?) to Faerthale, which would include the Murk, which I believe you stated would be a fairly high level above-ground dungeon-esk region, and the city itself, as two distinct areas within Faerthale.

My question is three-fold: (1) Are these "subzones" going to be separated by hard zonelines, akin to EQ where you would zone from West Freeport to the Commonlands? (2) If so, would it be safe for us to refer to these areas as zones, as we would have in EQ, and consider Faerthale a region instead? (3) If Faerthale is something much larger that was would commonly be understood as a "zone", what percentage of the continent would you consider it to be (1/5, 1/4, 1/3, etc.)?

• 2419 posts
    January 29, 2020 3:25 PM PST

randomrob82 said:

Zonelines. In the last stream there was some talk about what Faerthale encompassed: that athough it is akin to a "zone", there are distinct different "subzones"(?) to Faerthale, which would include the Murk, which I believe you stated would be a fairly high level above-ground dungeon-esk region, and the city itself, as two distinct areas within Faerthale.

My question is three-fold: (1) Are these "subzones" going to be separated by hard zonelines, akin to EQ where you would zone from West Freeport to the Commonlands? (2) If so, would it be safe for us to refer to these areas as zones, as we would have in EQ, and consider Faerthale a region instead? (3) If Faerthale is something much larger that was would commonly be understood as a "zone", what percentage of the continent would you consider it to be (1/5, 1/4, 1/3, etc.)?

I don't mean to answer for Joppa, but it was explained by Joppa in the last Minus show that there would be a hard zoneline between Faerthale and The Murk.  The use of the term 'sub-zone' is the internal way they reference how the various zones are related to each other.  The Murk is directly related to Faerthale in terms of lore or theme or whathave you.  Joppa said that the same can be said for Black Rose Keep and Halnir Cave being sub-zones of Avender's Pass.  Still physically separated by zone-line but are treated like a combined package so to speak.

• 1273 posts
    January 29, 2020 4:05 PM PST

The Murk - In the last stream you mentioned that The Murk will be a higher level zone.  It just hit me that it feels really cool to me to have a high level zone fairly close to a low level zone because it gives low level characters a higher chance to see higher level characters running around.  Is that one of the intentions and if so can you talk about your thoughts on that?

• 22 posts
    January 29, 2020 5:07 PM PST

When are you going to open the game up to Beta? 

• 287 posts
    January 29, 2020 9:31 PM PST

Vandraad said:

randomrob82 said:

I don't mean to answer for Joppa, but it was explained by Joppa in the last Minus show that there would be a hard zoneline between Faerthale and The Murk.  The use of the term 'sub-zone' is the internal way they reference how the various zones are related to each other.  The Murk is directly related to Faerthale in terms of lore or theme or whathave you.  Joppa said that the same can be said for Black Rose Keep and Halnir Cave being sub-zones of Avender's Pass.  Still physically separated by zone-line but are treated like a combined package so to speak.

If I understand this right then, Faerthale would be a zone, and the Murk would be a zone and that is it? I thought there was talk about the city within Faerthale is also a stand alone zone. I am trying to get my head fully wrapped around what PF entails zone-wise.

• 379 posts
    January 30, 2020 12:42 AM PST

randomrob82 said:

If I understand this right then, Faerthale would be a zone, and the Murk would be a zone and that is it? I thought there was talk about the city within Faerthale is also a stand alone zone. I am trying to get my head fully wrapped around what PF entails zone-wise.

Faerthale City --> Redgrove --> Faerthale Forest --> The Murk --> Isle of Infinite Storm

Something similar to this, each one is a standalone zone, with a hard zone line - all in the "Faerthale Region". I suspect that most of the continent of King's Reach will be part of the 'Project'.

Coming from Thronefast and running to Faerthale City, would be something like this (as my guess):

Thronefast City --> Thronefast (the outer newb area) --> Avendyr's Pass --> Silent Plains --> Faerthale Forest --> Redgrove --> Faerthale City

• 768 posts
    January 30, 2020 3:02 AM PST

1. Living Codex: 

1.1 Does the Living Codex only relate to adventurous abilities? Is there something parallel going on for crafting abilities or other explorative or racial/character abilities?

1.2 If my druid finds a prime scroll at location X. Can I direct other druids to that same spot to find the same prime scroll? Or is more random or character dependent then that?

1.3 Does scribing those Prime Scrolls or the Enhanced Transcendent Prime Scrolls require time or is it instant? Or could there be other requirements in order to be able to scribe them? (consumables or other)

1.4 Can you tell more about Mana Climates or has that been redesigned? 

1.5 If those Mana Climates are regional, will the effect on the Living Codex change depending on how far away you're from that specific climate?

1.6 Will an ability with the Signet of Synergy stack with another player of the same class with the same Synergized Ability? Or is it class specific and only effective in combination with other class then your own?

1.7 Will it require groupmembers with a Synergized Ability to cast those abilities within a certain timeframe in order to have that "combined boost effect"? Or is it more a matter of "as long as your ability is running, someone else's synergized ability will stack up/work its magic?

1.8 Are the nature of the Synergy Ability grouped so that specific abilities match up between different classes (fire magic of wizard, fire attack of monk for example) or will any Synergized Ability match up with any other (water magic of shaman and nature magic of druid for example) ?

2. NPC AI: 

2.1 We've seen npc's run away during a fight, is surrender also a behaviour that might be expected in the game? Where npc's turn none-aggro after X% of hp loss and they hand over what ever goods they have on them at the time? Seeing that there are dispositions in the game, it would not strike me odd. 

2.2 Will the behaviour of the respawned npc's be random or the rate of dispositions respawns be scripted undependently of the players who killed that previous mob?

2.3 Could the set up of the group (classes present in the playergroup or spells being used by those players) have an effect on how the mob is reacting during the fight or which type of npc's will respawn after the mob's defeat at that location?

2.4 If a questgiver has received a succesful assignment from a player/players. Will it adapt its behaviour or will we see that npc calling for the same quest for eternity (or in other routinely cycles?)

2.5 Will there be scenarios where it's a possibility to bribe merchants into selling goods cheaper by offering something else in return? Or is it 1 on 1 cash ratio when it comes to buying and selling without any influences by the character/player.

3 The Murk: 

3.1 Will elves be more impacted by going to that region based on the negative conotation in the lore? (Will any climate or zone have more impact on certain races, based on the lore or traits of that specific race?) 

3.2 Can the hostile nature of the Murk be a cause of beneficial effects on characters that lean more towards that same nature or have similar traits?

This post was edited by Barin999 at January 30, 2020 3:57 AM PST
    • 217 posts
    January 30, 2020 3:14 AM PST

All things colored mana

• 6 posts
    January 30, 2020 7:05 AM PST

Hello.

We realize that the constant question of "When does it go live?" or even "when is alpha?" cannot be answered.  Things get done as they can, based on backing income.

However, could you update us via a progress bar, or a % completed update, based on your development roadmap (which I expect should remain unseen)?

• 21 posts
    January 30, 2020 8:28 AM PST

Hey VR,

This isn't a question but more of a praise. In May 2018 I was Diagnosed with Brain Cancer. Not knowing what was going to happen I emailed support and asked that if anything would happen to me that you give my pledge package to a specific person.

Support happily obliged and for that I am very greatful!!  Especially for the most awesome  message from you guys. "Good luck on the toughest of boss battles"

Well, as of Tuesday 1/28/2020 I AM CANCER FREE AND ENTER REMISSION!!!!!! I just wanted to share and thank you guys for your passion! Keep up the good fight!

This post was edited by SinisterJoint at January 30, 2020 8:30 AM PST
    • VR Staff
    • 167 posts
    January 30, 2020 9:08 AM PST

SinisterJoint said: 

Well, as of Tuesday 1/28/2020 I AM CANCER FREE AND ENTER REMISSION!!!!!! I just wanted to share and thank you guys for your passion! Keep up the good fight!

Amazing news! We look forward to seeing you in Terminus :)

• 520 posts
    January 30, 2020 9:25 AM PST

- Frozen Fortress - Will this ability (or any other barrier abilities) protect us from getting one-shoted (like from boss devastating attacks) or will dmg above barrier treshold (from the same attack)  automatically go through hp?

-Will monk abilities have elemental tag on them (or perhaps even deal part of the dmg as elemental one) so that it'll be affected by Archais Elemental Attunement?

- Will AoE abilities/spells be relevant with a CC in our group or will they be shunned and ultimately rarely (if ever) used? Will this issue be adressed or do you think that if worked well enough in EQ? 

SinisterJoint said:

Great news man! Happy for you ;-)

• 6 posts
    January 30, 2020 9:49 AM PST

Hello again,

Are you expecting seamless transition between zones or a hard zoning process with a loading screen?

• 6 posts
    January 30, 2020 9:55 AM PST

Hotbar UI

In recent play throughs, both mob and party member health bars were the same colour.  Is there a plan to change that up to better fight confusion due to screen clutter.

A colour for party member, a different colour for your toon, a 3rd for mobs, and a 4th for the mob you're targetting?

• 1315 posts
    January 30, 2020 10:06 AM PST

Living Codex: -

1)      How does the Living Codex interact with the Perception system to replace the WoW style quest log? (am I combining two different systems that are not related?)

2)      If they are tied together will there be a separate system for things like NPC tasks that are commerce focused fetch type quests rather than lore quests?

NPC AI: 

1)      We have only seen zones with EQ style static spawns with a few patrolling groups.  Is there any plans to make a truly living zone where all the NPCs are effectively patrols and each spawn point has a chance for a named mob?

2)      Are there any plans to design areas to function as encounters that must be faced as a whole rather than many individuals that are intended to be split and killed one at a time? i.e. linked spawns or NPCs with dispositions that will cause them to break certain types of CC on their allies?

• 346 posts
    January 30, 2020 10:16 AM PST

Fragile said:

Faerthale City --> Redgrove --> Faerthale Forest --> The Murk --> Isle of Infinite Storm

Something similar to this, each one is a standalone zone, with a hard zone line - all in the "Faerthale Region". I suspect that most of the continent of King's Reach will be part of the 'Project'.

Coming from Thronefast and running to Faerthale City, would be something like this (as my guess):

Thronefast City --> Thronefast (the outer newb area) --> Avendyr's Pass --> Silent Plains --> Faerthale Forest --> Redgrove --> Faerthale City

Don't forget Oldwood.

• 42 posts
    January 30, 2020 10:16 AM PST

NPC AI:

1.) We have had a lot of conversation around dispositions and adaptations of mobs in combat i.e. running for help etc.  My question pertains more to what modifications or immersion increasing attributes will apply to NPCs?  Will NPC react to see if their allies are killed?  Will pathers have variability in how they move to make it more random or if they notice a guard is missing?

2.) Dynamic Content of NPCs - Will they be responsive to environment changes such as they too will avoid lightning strikes or an environment that has rain would cause them lightning based attacks to enhance the damage? 

• 1019 posts
    January 30, 2020 10:46 AM PST

bigdogchris said:

- Could you provide some insight into the decision to not have coin weight, and also have it auto-changed to higher denomination when you hit 100?

+1

• 159 posts
    January 30, 2020 11:37 AM PST

jstsunami said:

NPC AI:

1.) We have had a lot of conversation around dispositions and adaptations of mobs in combat i.e. running for help etc.  My question pertains more to what modifications or immersion increasing attributes will apply to NPCs?  Will NPC react to see if their allies are killed?  Will pathers have variability in how they move to make it more random or if they notice a guard is missing?

2.) Dynamic Content of NPCs - Will they be responsive to environment changes such as they too will avoid lightning strikes or an environment that has rain would cause them lightning based attacks to enhance the damage? 

Nicely said jstsunmi.   I second this that jstsunmi asked.

• 44 posts
    January 30, 2020 11:45 AM PST

Before I get into my questions, just wanted to say that I appreciate the new level of transparency with the bi-weekly videos.

I have two questions, both of which relate to NPC AI and respawns.

In other MMOs, I have seen guards killing mobs that got too close to cities, but I had always wondered why there wasn't more dynamic interaction.  Like a camp of dwarves in the forest that lets most wildlife pass, but if an orc or a troll came by, they aggro.  Or a bear meeting a deer in the woods and nature taking its course.

Additionally, in all the MMOs I have played, spawn locations are always static.  You could always find the King in the throneroom, or the Screaming Gasbat in the back of the cave, etc.  For that matter, harvestable resources operated the same way.  You could make routes that let you hit whatever you were harvesting without having to search for it. 

So my two questions are thus:

1. Will NPCs react to each other, like if you don't kill the orcs, and they wander near some dwarves, will they fight?

2. Has the technology advanced far enough to make for less predictable spawn patterns, and if yes, is that being implemented?  

I guess that's technically three questions.  Would appreciate an answer, although I know you have a lot on your plates.

Thanks for your time,

Hiwin

• 557 posts
    January 30, 2020 11:58 AM PST

Question for Joppa:

Could you remove the soft-focus/beauty filter from your webcam?   It's not working.  You'll never be as pretty as Ben.

This post was edited by Celandor at January 30, 2020 11:59 AM PST
    • 3 posts
    January 30, 2020 12:29 PM PST

Are any of the healing classes going to use melee abilities while healing?

Melee healer is an odd role for many, but some of us have been searching for a well made one for years now. Disciple from Vanguard, or the warrior priest/DoK from Warhammer would be examples.

Even simply adding benefits to melee strikes on a fairly standard healer would be welcome, for example allowing a melee strike to generate mana or an alternate resource which can then be used for healing is one method, another would be to have a strike generate a buff that increases the healing of the next ability or reduces it's cost.

Something to keep the healer engaged in melee and not sitting on their bum regening mana would be wonderful.

• 379 posts
    January 30, 2020 1:44 PM PST

Janus said:

Don't forget Oldwood.

I didn't, but I wasn't sure where to place it so I left it out. I know Oldwood was that trailer teaser with the bridge, but not sure if that was then connected to Redgrove or opposite sides etc.