Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Scenario - You get offered a lot of in-game currency

• 9115 posts
    January 23, 2020 3:03 AM PST

Scenario - You get offered a lot of in-game currency to help someone kill a mini named mob, do you help and if so, do you take the money or do it for free? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 1 posts
    January 23, 2020 3:20 AM PST

What band of heroes goes around killing monsters for free ?

You go back to the tavern and collect your hard earned gold and get on with the next bounty.

• 438 posts
    January 23, 2020 5:26 AM PST
    Depends if there is something I need off the named as well. Like a piece of a quest. Then I’d do it for free. Other than that show me the money!
    • 1281 posts
    January 23, 2020 5:52 AM PST

Mordecai said: Depends if there is something I need off the named as well. Like a piece of a quest. Then I’d do it for free. Other than that show me the money!

This.  I have no problem if someone offers me money to help out.  I'd also do it for free, for the fun of it.

• 103 posts
    January 23, 2020 6:18 AM PST
    I help for sure, but most likely won't take the money I'll do it for the reputation.
    • 2756 posts
    January 23, 2020 6:53 AM PST

Is that someone an NPC? KILL THE MONSTER! TAKE THE MONEY!

If not...

...If it's a big deal then maybe take the money, but probably offer for free.

It's those kind of impromptu adventures that are often great fun and make you a friend!

#communitymatters

• 172 posts
    January 23, 2020 7:15 AM PST

Witchers dont work for free... usually

• 21 posts
    January 23, 2020 7:30 AM PST

Just depends on how much time I have to play. I might offer to help for free up front or open trade after the encounter is over. I've found in the more classically oriented MMOs with an aging population we tend to value other's time more. We understand that most of us playing don't have the time we used to and are more conscientious as a result. We also know that community and reputation matter greatly and will stick to our word; whether that means fulfilling the agreed payment with no game mechanics in place to ensure the transaction happens after the service is fulfilled or deciding to help for free for love of the game and community. I can't wait until the Pantheon world is in place so we all get the opportunity to help others in such an immersive world, with or without financial incentives to help out :)

• 1277 posts
    January 23, 2020 7:43 AM PST

If they offered the money I would certainly accept it.  If they just simply asked for help killing the NPC I'd help for free (as long as it wasn't a major inconvenience of course).

• 1785 posts
    January 23, 2020 8:07 AM PST

Um... why are they offering money?  Is there a terrible faction hit?  Do they need it for a quest or something?  Some kind of drop they want to reserve so that's their way of making it up to the people helping?

Most of the time, I would help and not take the money.  But honestly, it would really depend on the circumstances.

• 3237 posts
    January 23, 2020 8:43 AM PST

A fool and his money are soon parted.

• 1428 posts
    January 23, 2020 9:15 AM PST

ask said player to meet up at mob.

pk said player.

said player whines?  respond with never agreeing to assist player and say there are some things money can't buy.

player takes the death well?  help said player and let player keep money for being a good sport, then said a guild recruitment message.

• 2138 posts
    January 23, 2020 12:02 PM PST

I would feel uncomfortable.

I would be concerned that this might beget the kind of behavior- that I have seen recently- where a rogue is LFG and is shouting as much in zone as well as advertising in a general chat. Said rogue gets invited to group and then asks " ok, how much are you all going to pay me for my DPS" The rogue was not kidding, the rogue got booted from group.

So, on the flip side the same would also be true.  It would also depend on their motivations as usually mini nameds have nice loots. So I would like a chance to roll on loots unless there was something they were particularly looking for loot-wise with the understanding that if such a thing drops I would pass on it.

Discernment factor :

In the course of days I get offered cash by two groups to take down the same mini-named. In both cases each group is looking for the specific item that I can also use. I turn down the cash and help both groups and forgo the loot, but take the split of dropped coin if any.

First group is tight as a drum, a few mishaps that are recovered from, maybe one death, maybe one wipe if first attempt by all, but second attempt is a clean win. Maybe 15min tops.

Second group is a mess, wipe on first touch, talk about tactics, wipe 4 more times. almost give up, one member gets a higher powered alt, final attempt is made and 2 are left alive. 2 hours later.

I would want to put the first group on friends list and I would actively reach out to them if I see them on line to say hello, just to say hello and if they want, talk briefly about general things. that way when I need help with something,  I can ask these people- maybe for the same mini named so I can get the nice drop and they can take whatever else.

and then we can start asking each other for help with things, schedules and times permitting of course, without the need to make payment and instead save our coin and complain about localized player auction house prices and maybe trade amongst ourselves for free if we have things the others need that I don't need, or if they insist, offer at a greatly reduced rate. Because sometimes you just need a few more of something.  

• 41 posts
    January 23, 2020 12:48 PM PST
    ill help for free.
    except the mob has loot ialso want then i atleast want something for helping..
    • 1247 posts
    January 23, 2020 1:50 PM PST

I don't want a lot of in-game currency (ew!). I would accept a small tip, but I would rather not be paid for such a task. I would enjoy slaying the boss since it is enjoyable to do with others (unlike in WoW and Playstation games lol).

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #gamesnotworlds #aradune 

• 2038 posts
    January 23, 2020 2:28 PM PST

There is an unfortunate behaviorial quality that often afflicts someone when they are employing someone else. The employer tends to feel a decreased responsibilty to treat the employee respectfully, and as an equal. I have experienced that enough times to be fairly sensitive to it, and thus I would prefer to avoid creating the same situation in any activity that I pursue as recreation.

Since I enjoy the specific activity that I'm being asked to do, I would be happy to help for free if I had no external constraints on my time right then. If I had any need or interest in the rewards of the Named, I'd try to work out something like a trade. Maybe we agree to camp it till we both get what we want, or I'll help you now and you help me tomorrow.

If I just couldn't help out -and the player seemed like a nice person- I'd ask on clan chat if anyone else wanted to help them. Beyond that, I'd offer to set a time soon when we could meet for me to help.

• 2419 posts
    January 23, 2020 5:44 PM PST

Kilsin said:

Scenario - You get offered a lot of in-game currency to help someone kill a mini named mob, do you help and if so, do you take the money or do it for free? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

They pay?  I'll play.

• 151 posts
    January 23, 2020 6:46 PM PST
    I would help without the gold offer. If I don't need the gold, for free. But if I'm currently raising funds or just broke....some gold is greatly appreciated.
    • 839 posts
    January 23, 2020 9:02 PM PST

Help out, no money, just with one request that they pass the favour forward when they meet the next person in need. #Communitymatters

• 287 posts
    January 24, 2020 11:05 AM PST

Default would be to help for free. BUT, if I was in need of money at the time, I would have no issue. If there was a huge faction hit for helping out, then compensation of some sort would definitely be needed, even if that compensation was a I.O.U. quid pro quo.

• 768 posts
    January 24, 2020 12:37 PM PST

Free of charge. This is just another way to construct and maintain a good community.

• 454 posts
    January 24, 2020 12:37 PM PST

if it's just for one mob, I rather have a chance to loot.  I'd rather group with them for the evening, but if all they wanted was the one mob, I'll take the plat.  I'm always short of money.

• 217 posts
    January 24, 2020 6:26 PM PST

I always need money so if offered I would gladly take it. But if someone just asks for help I would do so for a shot at whatever loot they dont NEED from the mob.

• 6 posts
    January 25, 2020 9:51 AM PST

If this is a PC and if they are paying for priority loot, I'd take the money if I agree with the arrangement.

If they simply need help for a quest kill, etc. and loot is equally offered (a chance to win, even split, whatever) then I'd do it without the cash reward.

• 220 posts
    January 25, 2020 9:52 AM PST

Kilsin said:

i do it for free.

But in FFXI you could sent currency through "Delivery system" all you need is the character name you could send it even tho the player turn it down But i do very appreciated when a player does send it.