Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Leveling / Gearing

• 1992 posts
    January 23, 2020 2:36 PM PST

Geex said: im still hoping for a strict character restriction per realm so that we wont twink much at all.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by 'strict character restriction'.

I read it as endorsing very few character slots, but I can't imagine wanting fewer slots so I hope that I'm just having a "senior moment" here.

• 1273 posts
    January 23, 2020 2:49 PM PST

Jothany said:

Geex said: im still hoping for a strict character restriction per realm so that we wont twink much at all.

I read it as endorsing very few character slots, but I can't imagine wanting fewer slots so I hope that I'm just having a "senior moment" here.

The only way this makes sense to me is if the policy is ONE character per server.  I'm also not sure how I feel about this...it would certainly solve the "twinking problem," if you even consider it a problem (which I am on the fence about) but it would create a bigger problem in my opinion.  One character per server would ruin the community feel.  If I want to play a different character but I still want to play with the new friends I've met on my server I'd be out of luck.  And this is coming from someone who almost never plays alts, haha.  

• 2419 posts
    January 23, 2020 5:46 PM PST

Jothany said:

Even if you had only 1 character per account, that does not preclude anyone from just having multiple accounts.  What, you want to make every household only have one account with just one character?  That would seriously harm the financial prospects of this game.

• 2756 posts
    January 24, 2020 3:00 AM PST

Geex said: im still hoping for a strict character restriction per realm so that we wont twink much at all. anyways no matter what system they chose it has to be easy to implement. overthinkung every item 12 times just because scaling issues wont be good.

I understand your concern, but as someone who likes to get the most from the game by having alts of various races and classes, that would be an awful situation for me and I think a lot of people would feel the same.

Twinking, if they apply even very rudimentary scaling or limiting, just wouldn't be a problem.  It's not *really* a big problem in games like EQ where it is totally doable.

Power-levelling is more of a problem, but there will be measures to address that too, I hope.

• 1860 posts
    January 24, 2020 8:03 AM PST

I wouldn't mind an alternative ruleset server that only allowed 1 character per account. 

Players would still have the option of playing multiple classes/races with their 1 character through the use of the progeny system.

• 2756 posts
    January 26, 2020 3:40 AM PST

philo said:

I wouldn't mind an alternative ruleset server that only allowed 1 character per account. 

Players would still have the option of playing multiple classes/races with their 1 character through the use of the progeny system.

You would take many months to get to max level and probably once a progeny is chosen couldn't change your mind, so would have to play through many months with a combo you don't much enjoy to be able to try another.

Not really much of alternative to alts.  In fact, progeny would make me want alts even more so I could try other class-race combos and not pick a progeny I regret.

Most people have alts because they like to vary how they play, sometimes session to session.

I'm not sure it would stop twinking, also. On a single-character server, players would just twink low level guild characters from the guild bank. It would reduce it, I suppose.

Having said that, as long as you can have characters on a normal server as well, there would be no harm having the single character server, apart from splitting the community a bit.  There are other advantages to single-character servers, I suppose, like every toon will be a main so people will probably be better at playing them and more invested in the game *shrug*  Interesting idea.