Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - Holiday Events

• 2752 posts
    January 6, 2020 10:49 AM PST

I am not a fan, especially since the events seek to induce "FOMO" during times people are already stressed or busy with real world activities.

If there must be any kind of holidays or festivals in-game it would be nice if they happen as far away from real world holidays as possible. (And of course no crazy costumes/cosmetics/etc)

• 368 posts
    January 6, 2020 11:07 AM PST

I like the integration of real world holidays, with the game worlds own take on it however.

• 416 posts
    January 6, 2020 1:56 PM PST

I am also against real life holiday events but would love to see holidays around Terminus lore in game.

• 93 posts
    January 6, 2020 5:24 PM PST

Sure, an homage to a traditional holiday can be festive and fun.

• 370 posts
    January 6, 2020 10:52 PM PST

I like them in general. People are generally off or celebrating outside of the game so if MMO's put their own spin on Holidays, that fit within the game's lore, I'm all for it.

• 68 posts
    January 8, 2020 1:32 PM PST

Have Terminus creat thier own holidays as they progress through their first year of play. Start with The New Year starting with launch day. May a holiday when the first major boss drops on Teminus. I am sure others can come up with other ideas.

• 287 posts
    January 8, 2020 2:28 PM PST

I generally liked those FOMO "triple xp" events during holiday weekends, but those gimmicks should be left for games that have already been out for some time. Until there are a couple expansions out, I would be ok with holiday events, but without the FOMO aspects.

• 31 posts
    January 8, 2020 6:14 PM PST

im good with Harvests, constellation alignment celebrations, coming of age, animal hunts, racial arts and crafts fair, racial folklore dance, class skill challenge, climbing events, gladiator type pvp event, underwater spear fishing challenge

This post was edited by SyriusNorthstar at January 8, 2020 6:44 PM PST
    • 370 posts
    January 8, 2020 10:07 PM PST

You know thinking about this... I don't want "world" holiday events. Each race is going to have it's own culture and tradition, it would make sense that they wouldn't all celebrate the same holidays. Just because say the Elves may celebrate the winter solstice doesn't mean every race would.

Holiday events should be racially and culutrally specific. 

• 2756 posts
    January 9, 2020 3:41 AM PST

EppE said:

You know thinking about this... I don't want "world" holiday events. Each race is going to have it's own culture and tradition, it would make sense that they wouldn't all celebrate the same holidays. Just because say the Elves may celebrate the winter solstice doesn't mean every race would. 

True, but we will probably find that playable character races have mixed (pushed together) for some considerable time and may well share festivals whether or not they stem from one race's culture and traditions.

If I saw the Elves having a wild Winter Solstice I might well leave my Dwarf halls and join them for the party season. Then maybe one year I couldn't make the journey... I might well stage my own Winter Solstice and invite my elf friends to me this year.

Dwarves look for any excuse for a drinking competition... I mean, cultural celebration.

• 1315 posts
    January 9, 2020 6:03 AM PST

Many cultures on Earth have similar based around common themes though the specific look and feel as well as the time of year may be different.  Changing of the seasons including new year, harvest times, days of remembrance of the dead and times of community building are all pretty universally celebrated and will like have Terminus analogies (possibly unique to each race) so there will be some unavoidable cross over.  There are also lore/history driven events that will be entirely unique to Terminus and Earth respectively but again how those events function on Earth will be a good model to design the Terminus events around with the appropriate lore swapped in.

If/when player housing comes in it would be nice if there were options on decorating at least the interior of the house in any way that they see fit.  Over Earth holidays that could be deliberately changing the décor with similar Terminus objects.  Outside of player-controlled content though I would avoid too much similarity between the unique aspects of Earth holidays and Terminus holidays.

• 31 posts
    January 9, 2020 7:23 AM PST

disposalist said:

EppE said:

True, but we will probably find that playable character races have mixed (pushed together) for some considerable time and may well share festivals whether or not they stem from one race's culture and traditions.

If I saw the Elves having a wild Winter Solstice I might well leave my Dwarf halls and join them for the party season. Then maybe one year I couldn't make the journey... I might well stage my own Winter Solstice and invite my elf friends to me this year.

Dwarves look for any excuse for a drinking competition... I mean, cultural celebration.

Agree about the dwarves;

Anyhoot, there is an old legend that the world's first elf once attempted to forge the world's most powerful artifact, imbued with magic to control all dwarves. But, because he could not suffer to cut a tree for fuel, he was unable to do so. Faced with no alternative, he kidnapped each of the seven ancient dwarves by tempting them with booze, an unfamiliar drink to the first dwarves. He then forcefully shaved them, and created charcoal from their beards.

Well I can't just slaaave away over timber whiles they're out prancing around in the night, knowing this legend and plus I heered the brewers complain that noobody drinkin the "Blue Goblin Bitter", and they might have to just toss it away, soomeday. Well BLAAAST! I think that day be today and WE be the dwarves they toss is to!

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Strange_mood

This post was edited by SyriusNorthstar at January 9, 2020 7:25 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    January 9, 2020 7:36 AM PST

((Anyhoot, there is an old legend that the world's first elf once attempted to forge the world's most powerful artifact, imbued with magic to control all dwarves. But, because he could not suffer to cut a tree for fuel, he was unable to do so. Faced with no alternative, he kidnapped each of the seven ancient dwarves by tempting them with booze, an unfamiliar drink to the first dwarves. He then forcefully shaved them, and created charcoal from their beards.))

This *has* to be one of the most hair razing origin stories ever!

• 257 posts
    January 9, 2020 9:07 AM PST

Randolf with Kilsin's face for our first Christmas event has been confirmed!

• 768 posts
    January 9, 2020 11:22 PM PST

I'll have to agree to not copy real life into the game. Meaning, let the world of Terminus keep and show off their own lore and uniqueness.

As long as it is linked to seasons or festivities on Terminus itself (and not real life drafts). So not too Disney for me, there is plenty of alternatives that could be fun as long as you think a bit further then pumpkins, santa claus, flying baby angles and leprechauns.

I can see festive dining and beverages only found at a certain time on Terminus.
    Magical anomalies could occur in a returning sequence and create some sort of magical filled bubble. 

I could see towns celebrating an equinox or when several moons/stars/suns align. Celebrations of rivers, lakes, oceans.
    Celebrations or rituals occuring relating to stars, moons or other celestial bodies or spirits. 
    Heroes or other historical events: wars, peacetimes, kings, emperors, prophets, oracles… could be celebrated. Entire towns could celebrate the dead or the remaining victors etc. (In current Lore, there is already talk about fallen heroes and living ones returning to cities occasionally, hint hint ?)

Events relating to actual ingame Lore characters or beasts. Gods, demi-gods, ancestral beings, monsters, foes, etc. (I'm thinking, sacricifial rituals/events?)

The real life holidays are there for the real life people to take a break from real life work. That includes the devs. So for my part, it's understandable that ingame celebrations are losely consistent with the real life calender. More time available could mean more time to play the game or take a break from it for connecting with real life again. But that answer is so diverse you can't please all on that part. 

Many might feel more comfortable, familiar when playing in a winter landscape when it's actually snowing or cold outside their own door as wel. However, Terminus is a world on its own and looking at the way races/other orbs keep crashing into it, it will affect the seasons (if any) on the planet. There is of course fantasy and magic to 'explain' all that. 

The fact of the matter is, yes a lot of people take vacation in the same period of the year, which happens to have holidays in them. This means a good chance to stimulate them into playing the game by providing something extra/new/entertaining to explore. Encouraging new players to take their time to get familiar with the game or the ingame community to bond even more during those periods of exceptionallity. 

I miss out on a lot of holiday events during the year in other games, purely because I'm not US. A pitty but not a dealbreaker, as long as there are other periods where I can dip my toes in those celebrative events.

PS; Off topic thread that might be interesting to some to explore;https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2999/describe-your-in-game-easter-holiday-celebration

This post was edited by Barin999 at January 9, 2020 11:27 PM PST
    • 42 posts
    January 10, 2020 5:27 AM PST

The Real World timing is best made to coincide with Real World hollidays because that's when most people have most time to play.

The content should have no relationship with RL hollidays but with Terminus lore and cultures instead. For every race its own.

• 220 posts
    January 11, 2020 6:50 AM PST

Im on the fence with this one. i do like holiday event when done right but i dont like it when acheviment is added to it giving that "I must get that achievenmt done!" feeling :/

I dont keep the costume tho as it just clutter up my inventory space BUT if you make those costume "Key Items" like ffxi or have an NPC store them for me then i would keep them.

• 114 posts
    January 11, 2020 2:26 PM PST

No.

for the time spent by the player might be a few hours total compared to the week/weeks of time by the developers creating, hashing out details, testing involved.  then there's always another holiday a month or three away so more grind/stress on the developers.  players end up with items they'll need bank space for ... I know I kept a few snowballs around yet never used them.  then there's the year where the content is rehashed over and served back because of time developers don't have while working on the expansion so the players feel "let down" with the same stuff from 2 years ago.

As someone whose been there and done that before ... I've learned I'd rather achieve something in the main game then dedicate to a "limited" time event for the next 14 days.

• 1281 posts
    January 11, 2020 7:49 PM PST

I think holiday events are probably a bit easier to impliment than say GM events since it's something programmed into the game to occur rather than having to pay someone to sit and do activities with a tiny amount of people (overall of the population). I'm definitely a go.

• 151 posts
    January 12, 2020 2:20 AM PST
    No, maybe a very few lore based observation days