Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Concerns

• 560 posts
    January 5, 2020 12:39 PM PST

@KatoKhan

The point I was trying to convey was that looking back I can see why people might have seen it as a clone, that is why I did not disagree. But it still surprises me because when WoW released, I never saw it as a clone of EQ. WoW for sure was a fantasy MMO with many similarities that go along with a fantasy MMO. WoW at its core design just changed so much of what made EQ feel like EQ that to me the things that made it different far outweighed the things that made it the same.

I might add that I never put a lot of thought into this before and I am just now really forming my opinion. I also find the whole idea fascinating and at this point my girlfriend is pointing out there is something wrong with me…

I played EQ from the release of The Ruins of Kunark for around 2-3 years and I played WoW from Beta for around 2 years as well. I enjoyed both games but EQ became a part of me and I formed relationships that I still have today. This includes my current girlfriend that I meet in EQ in the early days. WoW I never meet anyone.

I think WoW just cloned the less important parts maybe?

• 1584 posts
    January 5, 2020 3:25 PM PST

starblight said:

@KatoKhan

The point I was trying to convey was that looking back I can see why people might have seen it as a clone, that is why I did not disagree. But it still surprises me because when WoW released, I never saw it as a clone of EQ. WoW for sure was a fantasy MMO with many similarities that go along with a fantasy MMO. WoW at its core design just changed so much of what made EQ feel like EQ that to me the things that made it different far outweighed the things that made it the same.

I might add that I never put a lot of thought into this before and I am just now really forming my opinion. I also find the whole idea fascinating and at this point my girlfriend is pointing out there is something wrong with me…

I played EQ from the release of The Ruins of Kunark for around 2-3 years and I played WoW from Beta for around 2 years as well. I enjoyed both games but EQ became a part of me and I formed relationships that I still have today. This includes my current girlfriend that I meet in EQ in the early days. WoW I never meet anyone.

I think WoW just cloned the less important parts maybe?

Not really they pretty much took everything they like about EQ and kept it and the things they didn't like maybe EQ they either chnaged it completely or made it easier, so it pretty much was a EQ clone with it targeting more of a casual audience at the time.