Forums » The Warrior

People rolling Warrior

• 372 posts
    December 30, 2019 8:50 PM PST

After the new streams on the "revamped" warrior and it's new resource (and updated abilities), are those of you that are planning to go Warrior happy with the class and where it is/has gone? I am just curious to hear from the pro-warrior crowd out there. Things liked or disliked?

• 157 posts
    December 31, 2019 12:44 AM PST

Watching and playing are two different things and a warrior is not normally my first pick. But I normally always consider them and I made a mistake of playing one at launch in Vanguard.

So, with all that said I am not a fan so far. I dislike the banners as they seem like clutter and a very short termed buff. The shield block is a cool idea but with the current early animations it kind of looks sad. Time will tell and I am sure I will try one when I get a chance, I expect I will not like it

• 508 posts
    December 31, 2019 1:41 AM PST

I rarely play tanks as I find the gameplay boring, but Pantheon one looks like it'll be much more engaging - I'll probably alt one.

This post was edited by Hegenox at January 1, 2020 12:59 AM PST
    • 360 posts
    December 31, 2019 6:23 AM PST

Hegenox said:

I rarely play tanks as I find the gameplay boring, but Pantheon one looks like it'll be much more angaging - I'll probably alt one.

I agree with this. The warrior combat in amberfaet looked pretty freaking exciting for lvl 40ish content. I was extremely impressed with the balance that created that excitement. The mechanics of the game are already very well laid out and that bodes very well for the final product.

I will certainly alt one.

This post was edited by Alyonyah at December 31, 2019 6:23 AM PST
    • 372 posts
    December 31, 2019 10:21 PM PST

So anyone that is actually planning on maining Warrior want to weigh in?

• 87 posts
    January 6, 2020 7:24 PM PST

I will be maining a warrior, specifically with the sole purpose of being a Raiding MT for some guild. 

This question is probably answered in a couple months when we get into alpha, as hegenox said....playing and watching are very different things. 

Honestly though, if they don't fix up the LAS bars for warriors, I probably wont play one. At one point the banners were on their own little mini bar, but recent streams had them on the main bar. Theres 6 banners, 3 battle cries, and Im assuming at least 2 different "stances" as well, not to mention taunt and shield block etc. Plus I have to make sure I have enough abilities to actually GAIN battle points as well as SPEND them. If they force the BC and banners on my bar I'll probably bounce over to a monk, it's that detrimental. 

As far as the class, it does seem a little bit slow and unexciting. When I read about the warrior during the class reveal they made it sound like the warrior was a very active class...dropping banners, charge abilities to charge over to adds to pick them up, etc. Haven't noticed a single AOE taunt ability yet, but that is probably there...an epic ability at the least. The class seems more old school....pull a mob, drag it into the corner...and do 2 things...keep aggro, and dont die. It's really not many peoples cup of tea. I somewhat enjoy that playstyle, or class, because I'm a big nerd about numbers and doing everything I can to get me to the point of being "Unkillable." It's really just a matter of feeding an eggo when I inspect other warriors and see they aren't nearly as tanky as I am. 

The Resilience class resource is absolutely brilliant. I really like that idea. I've never been one for the "combo point" style class resources, but it seems like in stream they build up really quickly so shouldn't be too much of an issue. 

The animations are still rather...meh. Think warrior is the first one they worked on with animations, and they were just "meh." 

Shield block will be make or break depending on how clunky it is. As in, If I correctly use shield block right before an NPC attacks me...will the server/game register that I used it in the right time...or will I need to adjust a second earlier/later for server latency or whatever. If its not smooth and accurate...that is a major turn off. 

What im really waiting to see though is how the paladin and DL handle as tanks. If they are getting wrecked pretty hard by melee mobs, but the warrior is more stable I'll be happy with that. If the Paladin tanks just as fine, or better than the warrior vs non-undead things...I'll be pretty pissed. The DL I expect to be a rubber-band health bar vs melee but fair well vs magic. 

• 372 posts
    January 7, 2020 2:53 AM PST

Hoiyay said:
    Honestly though, if they don't fix up the LAS bars for warriors, I probably wont play one. At one point the banners were on their own little mini bar, but recent streams had them on the main bar. Theres 6 banners, 3 battle cries, and Im assuming at least 2 different "stances" as well, not to mention taunt and shield block etc. Plus I have to make sure I have enough abilities to actually GAIN battle points as well as SPEND them. If they force the BC and banners on my bar I'll probably bounce over to a monk, it's that detrimental. 

I agree, it is what has me concerned for Paladin. If I need to slot X amount of Wrath/Reckoning builders then Y spenders for aggro, what is left for Healing or Utility. Monk was my original choice until Paladin stole my heart.
    Hoiyay said:
    As far as the class, it does seem a little bit slow and unexciting. When I read about the warrior during the class reveal they made it sound like the warrior was a very active class...dropping banners, charge abilities to charge over to adds to pick them up, etc. Haven't noticed a single AOE taunt ability yet, but that is probably there...an epic ability at the least. The class seems more old school....pull a mob, drag it into the corner...and do 2 things...keep aggro, and dont die. It's really not many peoples cup of tea. I somewhat enjoy that playstyle, or class, because I'm a big nerd about numbers and doing everything I can to get me to the point of being "Unkillable." It's really just a matter of feeding an ego when I inspect other warriors and see they aren't nearly as tanky as I am. 

I did get that sense as well of the 'slow and unexciting' and I am wondering if that pushed a lot of potential warriors out the door. There is an AoE taunt, its called Warhorn and he just didn't have it on his LAS (RiP LAS). One thing I haven't seen brought up, is though resilience uses shield block to generate above 50% (heals / out of combat can bring it to 50%) - Shield Block is the only thing we have really seen that requires a Shield to use. I would think eventually at least on blue cons, you would be able to use a 2hd or dual wield for extra dmg and tank the old school EQ way.

Thanks for the lengthy response, I was concerned it would just be *crickets* in here.

• 87 posts
    January 7, 2020 10:51 AM PST

I kind of like people being pushed away from the class I want to play, makes me more valuable and special lol. 

Playing a monk in eq2, people would invite me and then be dumbfounded....the hell is a monk?!

I think non-shield builds will absolutely be a viable thing in pantheon. They haven't been nearly as limiting as what they were saying (unless the rest of what we haven't seen is riddled with shield requirements). 

• 764 posts
    January 10, 2020 12:42 PM PST

I'm debating between Warrior and Paladin (although I absolutely hate playing humans when other races are available, and outright refuse to play a d0rf).  The thing that will help me decide will be the entire list of available skills, what they do, when/how you unlock/train them, and how many skills will be available on my hotbar(s).  This is actually a fairly big factor for me in deciding to playing a melee at all.  

I'm ok with the slower pace of tank combat, as long as the interaction required from me doesn't require me to mouseclick a lot because targeting is awful or my hotkeys are incoherent by design.  (I don't want to have to target a party memeber, then assist them in hopes that they are able to target something because mouse clicking only targets my banner and tab targetting cycles oddly).

This post was edited by Darch at January 10, 2020 12:48 PM PST
    • 6 posts
    January 17, 2020 9:31 AM PST

Hoiyay said:

Haven't noticed a single AOE taunt ability yet, but that is probably there...an epic ability at the least.

War Horn, indeed, provides an AOE Hate.
    Challenger's Banner, also, provides a hate over time for enemies with 15m range.

This post was edited by Emlar at January 17, 2020 9:32 AM PST
    • 35 posts
    January 18, 2020 11:30 AM PST

Fragile said:

After the new streams on the "revamped" warrior and it's new resource (and updated abilities), are those of you that are planning to go Warrior happy with the class and where it is/has gone? I am just curious to hear from the pro-warrior crowd out there. Things liked or disliked?

I'm finding myself falling in love with the warrior class the more I look into it. It's not necessarily in the class ability design, although shield link does sound really cool. I love the idea of actively managing resilience. Tanks with high physical mitigation have always appealed to me, plus the idea of finding a badass shield that makes a huge difference in that mitigation is very appealing. I'm not crazy about the idea of the banner system but I'm definitely gonna give it a try in alpha/beta to see how the class feels when it's played. Warrior vs Monk is gonna be a huge decision for me.