Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Open dungeons / Ganking/Griefing

• 12 posts
    December 29, 2019 3:22 AM PST

Aye folks, 

I'm just curious on how we will deal with pvp in areas like open dungeons etc. I played some world of warcraft classic and im getting goosebumps when I'm thinking of today's community. Don't know how it was back in 1999-2003 in EQ for example. 

People are going to get griefed to death in the dungeons imo.

Any news on how that pvp system is going to be implemented?

- Rasputin 

• 159 posts
    December 29, 2019 4:10 AM PST

VR hasn't come forward with much of their PvP vision yet. It's pretty much all speculation.

For the most part, all that's been stated is that Pantheon is primarily designed to be a PvE game, but that they are committed to having at least one PvP server at launch. Additionally, they say PvP balance will not affect PvE balance (although havn't went into any detail to my knowledge).

@Kilsin recently told us that a separate PvP forums section would be created once VR releases news about it's PvP system (implying it is something they are actively/consciously planning for and thinking about)

To your specific questions, we don't know. We don't know if there will be factions or free-for-all. We don't know where 'safe zones' will be. We are led to believe that it will be more player regulated and self-governed moreso than 'terms-of-use bound' rules for appropriate PvP behavior.

This post was edited by Kass at December 29, 2019 4:31 AM PST
    • 520 posts
    December 29, 2019 4:46 AM PST

Mostly Reputation based - it's not your usual MMO where you can level up  character on your own while murdering (or trying to) everyone in your way. In order to grief long term you'd need a group/guild of similar attitude and even then you'd probably become a target of guild unions. Sure there will always be instances where someone will kill you, when you just want to travel in peace - but that's a "charm" of PvP servers. If there will be other means of preventing it is unknown (as anything about PvP really), but i vaguely recollect that someone mentioned in one of Cohh streams that there may be some indicators that you've recenty killed (like your name becoming red) and some bonuses for people that'll slay you or you may have some disadvantages (like a chance upon dying in certain window of time to drop piece of your equipment).

• 521 posts
    December 29, 2019 8:52 AM PST

I don't agree that being attacked in a open dungeon necessarily qualifies as griefing, and if you think it does then a PVP server isn't the right fit for you. A dungeon is not a safe zone, and your in competition with other players to get at presumably limited resources, and/or special Mobs. Killing you or your group to secure my right to loot a certain mob is not griefing, its part of the game.

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at December 29, 2019 8:53 AM PST
    • 12 posts
    December 29, 2019 8:59 AM PST

Im 100% you opinion but if you followed world of warcraft classic, you understand what I meant by that. It's not just a couple of dudes wanna have fun by ganking for some hrs... People are getting 20man-40man raids and farming others. Totally new scale of ganking. 

PvP>PVE all the way for me.

• 99 posts
    December 29, 2019 9:58 AM PST
    Im usually all for pvp but i played EQ and some spawns took 4-48hrs to camp. In wow its usually 30mins wait time i could sacrifice that for the chance of death but no way will i sit for 5hrs to have a rogue finish me off right before the end of a fight to jack my kill. Same thing with a raid to have it slaughtered by a blob as they were called in GW2 40+ people. I know people will say but raids can only be 6 people but if the zones open you can have 10groups of 6 specifically set up for pvp that can take out 100+ people that are set up just to raid. That was proven in shadow bane. So im curious to see how they implement it but if its a open system Ill go to the pve to old to deal with all that now days lol. If its battle ground style or a zone or certain zones I would do that. Still imagine doing a dungeon run for 6hrs and getting blobed to death right before the end. Throw in a corpse run through a dungeon with no gear on. No thanks. That brings up another problem with pvp when your doing your corpse run your naked and a easy target over and over again. Yes there are people that get that bored out there now days.
    • 557 posts
    December 29, 2019 10:19 AM PST

I think there are likely creative ways around getting ganked when doing boss level PVE encounters, even on a PVP server.

For example, the mob could banish everyone from the area who is not in the group that is first to engage.   

Doors can be locked to prevent anyone from coming or going once the fight begins.

• 133 posts
    December 29, 2019 11:17 AM PST

There are things they could put into place to keep it form happening, like Celandor said, but I have a feeling that PvP and PvE are goin got be put on separate servers just to nip this kind of activity in the bud before it can get too out of hand. I know that VR has stated that this is going to be player run, but they also know that they have to put something in place to at least help with player regulation. I'm all for having rules in place that specifically state that people aren't allowed to do this, but if that's not the case, then the griefers and gankers are going to end up being ostrasized and possibly even forced form the server by other players. Though, again I have a feeling, and I don't know why in all honesty, that VR will separate the two onto two different servers, just to keep their own sanity as well as their player bases.

• 1247 posts
    December 29, 2019 11:27 AM PST

Op if you pvp, then expect griefing. It comes with the territory - I mean the whole point is to kill other people and gain territory for your team. People have to get creative. I loved Sullon Zek. I’m looking forward to less handholding than as what‘s seen in WoW/mainstream. I will be playing both pve and pvp. Will be fun! :)

This post was edited by Syrif at December 29, 2019 11:30 AM PST
    • 520 posts
    December 29, 2019 11:33 AM PST

Celandor said:

I think there are likely creative ways around getting ganked when doing boss level PVE encounters, even on a PVP server.

For example, the mob could banish everyone from the area who is not in the group that is first to engage.   

Doors can be locked to prevent anyone from coming or going once the fight begins.

Boss rooms (no idea if all or just some) will be separated from the rest of the world for a duration of a fight. And probably couple of other mechanics will be implemented. Not to worry - Devs are on top of that.

• 1247 posts
    December 29, 2019 11:39 AM PST

HemlockReaper said:

I don't agree that being attacked in a open dungeon necessarily qualifies as griefing, and if you think it does then a PVP server isn't the right fit for you. A dungeon is not a safe zone, and your in competition with other players to get at presumably limited resources, and/or special Mobs. Killing you or your group to secure my right to loot a certain mob is not griefing, its part of the game.

Exactly! Totally agree with this. It’s pvp afterall. I am looking forward to playing both pvp and pve. :)

This post was edited by Syrif at December 29, 2019 11:41 AM PST
    • 557 posts
    December 29, 2019 12:02 PM PST

OCastitatisLilium said:

There are things they could put into place to keep it form happening, like Celandor said, but I have a feeling that PvP and PvE are goin got be put on separate servers just to nip this kind of activity in the bud before it can get too out of hand. I know that VR has stated that this is going to be player run, but they also know that they have to put something in place to at least help with player regulation. I'm all for having rules in place that specifically state that people aren't allowed to do this, but if that's not the case, then the griefers and gankers are going to end up being ostrasized and possibly even forced form the server by other players. Though, again I have a feeling, and I don't know why in all honesty, that VR will separate the two onto two different servers, just to keep their own sanity as well as their player bases.

One of Brad's last blog posts specifically addressed many PVP/PVE issues.  If you have not read it, you can find it here.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/186/pantheon-pv-p-launch-vs-post-launch

Specifically he states,  " I think at launch we will have at least one PvP server, with an emphasis on open PvP."  I guess this is where you got your "feeling" from, OCL.

• 133 posts
    December 29, 2019 12:19 PM PST

Celandor said:

One of Brad's last blog posts specifically addressed many PVP/PVE issues.  If you have not read it, you can find it here.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/blogs/151/186/pantheon-pv-p-launch-vs-post-launch

Specifically he states,  " I think at launch we will have at least one PvP server, with an emphasis on open PvP."  I guess this is where you got your "feeling" from, OCL.

Sadly, I haven't had time to read everything. I haven't read it so I'm sure my feeling didn't come from there. I have been bogged down by work and school so I haven't really been all that active here like I would have liked to. I will be taking a read into it, thank you! ^_^

• 238 posts
    December 29, 2019 10:01 PM PST

Rasputin said:

Aye folks, 

I'm just curious on how we will deal with pvp in areas like open dungeons etc. I played some world of warcraft classic and im getting goosebumps when I'm thinking of today's community. Don't know how it was back in 1999-2003 in EQ for example. 

People are going to get griefed to death in the dungeons imo.

Any news on how that pvp system is going to be implemented?

- Rasputin 

Very little has been stated about how PVP is going to work within the game.

One of the few statements released said that there will be servers strictly dedicated to PvE and some that allow PVP. I think they also said something about looking into potentially adding different server rule sets latter on.

I think they also mentioned something about certain races being Killed on Sight if they wander into the wrong city/town, regardless of server classification. (Not quite PVP related, but definitely related to racial restrictions) 

Nothing has been stated regarding the open-world competition aspect or how balancing will be handled in PvP situations while also not affecting PvE power scaling. 

Additionally, nothing has been stated about the potential release of objective-based PvP scenarios, arenas, battlegrounds, or gear associated primarily with PVP.  In my honest opinion, these are things that we probably won't see at launch. 

• 1428 posts
    December 30, 2019 9:37 AM PST

for bosses, we know the rooms get sealed.  so it's not possible for another group to disrupt once an encounter kicks off.

it's fine if a group gets griefed in a dungeon.

the pvp community corrects itself for infamy and fame.

as long as there is no name change or server jumping services, attitudes like this(for better or worse) will pan itself out.

strong pvpers dictate the culture of pvp.  it's always been that way in open world pvp(not to be confused with faction based pvp).

really isn't worth talking about pvp yet.  need the core pve foundation first before the floor can open up for discussion, but i'd be happy to speculate or talk about things i'd want on a pvp server.