Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Lore and Legend

• 1019 posts
    December 26, 2019 6:09 AM PST

If you've ever played EQ2, you'll know what I'm talking about.

The Lore and Legend quests from Mob drops is a very neat thing I honestly hope they somehow incorperate into Pantheon.

I just add's an additional layer of depth when fighting your every day trash mobs.

And then the added single target attack you get againt that type of mob is also just another little thing that adds to the depth of the game.

• 168 posts
    December 26, 2019 6:45 AM PST

This was a fun aspect that I enjoyed in EQ2 when it first came out.  However, what it is today is way to watered down.  At first it required you find the book that contains the lore and legend of the race and read it.  Only then coud you start studying the different pieces enemies dropped and get the updates obtained from killing them.  On top of this, a lots of the different races had their own language and you could not understand or interact with them until you had, strangly enough, killed enough of them to collect pieces of their writing or whatever you needed to learn their language.

• 1019 posts
    December 26, 2019 6:47 AM PST

Kargen said:This was a fun aspect that I enjoyed in EQ2 when it first came out.  However, what it is today is way to watered down.  At first it required you find the book that contains the lore and legend of the race and read it.  Only then coud you start studying the different pieces enemies dropped and get the updates obtained from killing them.  On top of this, a lots of the different races had their own language and you could not understand or interact with them until you had, strangly enough, killed enough of them to collect pieces of their writing or whatever you needed to learn their language.

Yep, the language quests are also very fun.

• 3237 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:07 AM PST

Big fan of the system.  Here is a link to the original thread you started for this topic back in 2017:  http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7486/lore-and-legend/view/page/1

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 26, 2019 7:07 AM PST
    • 1019 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:16 AM PST

oneADseven said:

Big fan of the system.  Here is a link to the original thread you started for this topic back in 2017:  http://pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/7486/lore-and-legend/view/page/1

Haha, I even did a search in the forums on the topic and didn't see this.  I was thinking, "man I know I made this topic before" but then I'm getting old and wasn't so sure...so here we are.

This post was edited by Kittik at December 26, 2019 7:18 AM PST
    • 1584 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:20 AM PST

dont worry i did one for dispotitions and didnt find one and than someone found it and did the same thing sol i know the feeling

• 3852 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:50 AM PST

Some of the original quests for lore or languages were good in EQ2 I agree. 

Kill 20 or 30 or 50 orcs to get 5 language drops and 8 body part drops. Not so good.

• 1247 posts
    January 7, 2020 3:15 AM PST

The more lore, quests, and depth the better. I also hope expansions focus on this. I did not play eq2 (I heard very mixed reviews), but an interesting idea. 

• 2756 posts
    January 7, 2020 6:34 AM PST

dorotea said:

Kill 20 or 30 or 50 orcs to get 5 language drops and 8 body part drops. Not so good.

I quite liked the mastery drop-related achievements/quests. Gave an extra reason for camping an area and an extra type of 'progression' that was meaningful - spend a lot of time 'studying' orcs at a low level and you'll have a slight bonus when fighting tougher ones later in game.

Let's face it, MMORPGs are largely about killing monsters. Killing monsters *is* a good way to 'get to know' them and the more you do you more you know about their anatomy and equipment and the better you are at assessing them and, thus, killing them.

As I've said in the discussion about the Consider mechanic, I'd like it if your creature mastery got you more detailed information when Considering related creature types. Make it a truly integrated and meaningful mechanic and feature, not just another collection achievement.

This post was edited by disposalist at January 7, 2020 6:36 AM PST
    • 1785 posts
    January 7, 2020 7:44 AM PST

I think the Perception system gives new options for doing what EQ2 did through drops and quest updates.

Imagine if in order to learn all the lore about a type of NPC you had to:

1) Face a number of them in combat

2) Study places where they lived

3) Find examples of their culture - tools, decorations, and etc.

Simply doing some of this list might get you a little bit of benefit.  Ie, fight enough of them and you learn how to hit them where it counts.  But if you wanted the full benefit of a lore skill, you'd have to do all three.

What's the full benefit?  It shouldn't only be combat-related.  By truly understanding everything there is to know about an enemy type, not only are you more effective against them in combat, but also more effective in diplomacy, as well able to read and interpret their language and behavior to uncover secrets that others would have missed.

In one of the older threads on this topic I stated that while I like the concept of lore skills I would like them to truly be skills that are a form of horizontal progression for a character, and not simply quests/achievements where we check things off a bucket list to get our fancy attack or whatever.  While that's fun in moderation, when you apply it to every NPC type within a game world like EQ2 did you drive player behavior in the direction of completionism and min/maxing rather than engagement and immersion.

This post was edited by Nephele at January 7, 2020 12:18 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    January 7, 2020 8:42 AM PST

dorotea said:

Those Lore and Language 'quests' (I really hate to call those things quests), were oddly addicting.  Too bad you outleveled the content far quicker than you could obtain all the pieces to complete those things.

• 239 posts
    January 9, 2020 9:51 AM PST
    I have always love things like this. It's almost like a bestiary guid. I really hope they add something like this in game where after hours of killing you can read a little lore on the monster, maybe some facts and stats.
    It is just an added benefit for something you have to do anyways.