Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Epic Animation

• 1404 posts
    December 24, 2019 6:44 PM PST

Ok, first I totally know about VR and many male players here and their reluctance to accept the subjective "Overly Sexualized" characters and outfits. And I also have seen the several threads were the female portion of the forum base has called BS on the all of these, including my wife who thinks all the "overly sexualized" team of "MEN should just STFU!" 

I'm in the middle, there needs to be a compromise. Yes Brad's wishes are that his daughter can play (I agree!) My wife at 58 years old and learning how to use a "pole" (she is not a 58 year old stripper, she simply likes to dance and has found the pole takes it to a whole new level) just saw this Giffy from a friend of hers and her excited comment was "OMG will I be able to do that in Pantheon?" Now keep in mind, she's 58 years old, she often surprises the crap out if me but I really don't see her taking the pole THIS far, But, this is what caught her eye and got her excited.

So look at this Gif,(assuming I can figure out how to link it) think toned down dress, and think for all classes an epic animation to go with an epic weapon.... maybe a separate quest to add the animation. Dunno... just told her I would "relay to the Devs. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!"

https://giphy.com/gifs/Sqeg0X6RLJPGbesa4t

And yes, I know your all jealous of my wife right now, get over it get off the computer and go find you a good woman that will game with you!

This post was edited by Zorkon at December 24, 2019 6:59 PM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 25, 2019 7:05 AM PST

That would be a sweet animation, but yea the clothes plus the wink "come on" look is no good. Great animation.

• 1584 posts
    December 25, 2019 7:44 AM PST

And this has to happen becuase?  I mean i could play almost any korean mmorpg right now and see a dance like that, plus has I've seen from most people that are wanting to play and are female don't want to even come close to looking anything like that, they want their armor to simply look like armor and not look like they are trying to set a fashion statement, though I'm not going to speak for all of them of course, but I'm pretty sure this probably won't be happening anyway so I guess most won't have to worry about that.

This post was edited by Cealtric at December 25, 2019 8:19 AM PST
    • 520 posts
    December 25, 2019 8:35 AM PST

Yea I just hope you've got months mixed up (it's not April yet!) and came up with a really bad joke. 

• 41 posts
    December 25, 2019 10:04 AM PST

Yeah that is a hard pass for me.

This post was edited by Shadestomp at December 25, 2019 10:04 AM PST
    • 1404 posts
    December 25, 2019 10:06 AM PST

As I mentioned there needs to be compromise, This annimation used as an example is definatly over sexualized, The skimpy outfit, the crotch shot, plus the Wink "come on" mentioned by Alyonyah look would all have to go.(I wouldent expect them to just COPY it anyway)  I'm more looking at talking about the animation in general. As an additional animation applied to an Epic Weapon once a person has aquired it. It's one thing to actually own a epic, it's an entirely differnt thing to actually be skilled with itl As I said "maybe a separate quest to add the animation"

In this case an Enchanter adding a pole dance to it... there might be lots of staff users with there epic, but not as many could handel it like that.

A Shield Epic and the shield bearer could lean to boomerang the shield like Captian America

Another Staff user say Wizard, With a Baton animation.

I'm not talking about an in battle animation, I'm talking about more of an /emote like /dance

• 1019 posts
    December 25, 2019 10:38 AM PST

What?  **** no!

• 1584 posts
    December 25, 2019 11:04 AM PST

I mean I'm cool with some cool emotes and all, but i just don't like that particular emote is all, thats not saying it obviously can't be in pantheon it will merely just be an emote i won't like in the game in general, and i guess from a long list of things i wouldn't like in the game i guess emotes would be one of the last tihngs i would worry about so if something like this would be make it but a lot of others things i was happy with i would take it as a big win for me as /emotes usually don't bother me in general, unless i get spammed with them lol.

• 520 posts
    December 25, 2019 11:06 AM PST

Zorkon said:

As I mentioned there needs to be compromise.

There is! If you want in-game stripper, you can compromise and order yourself one in RL!

• 291 posts
    December 25, 2019 11:11 AM PST

Hmmm I was imagining an attack. /shrug. Looks like a rather sweet monk attack to me.

• 1860 posts
    December 25, 2019 11:42 AM PST

I'm fine with whatever as far as animations like this go.  Honestly I couldn't care less either way but...

I do think we all need to limit our asks.  It's this type of thing that is not a priority. 

At this point if it isnt absolutely necessary it shouldn't be considered.

Non-essentials can be added post release if desired.  This is a waste of time imo.

This post was edited by philo at December 25, 2019 11:50 AM PST
    • 1404 posts
    December 25, 2019 11:50 AM PST

philo said:

I'm fine with whatever as far as animations like this go.  Honestly, as far as that goes I couldn't care less either way.

I do think we all need to limit our asks.  It's this type of thing that is not a priority. 

At this point if it isnt absolutely necessary it shouldn't be considered.

Non-essentials can be added post release if desired.  This is a waste of time imo.

Oh absolutly would be a low priority. Something for annimators to work on long after launch.

• 500 posts
    December 26, 2019 6:00 AM PST

No...just ******* no.

• 168 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:05 AM PST

hahaha!!

So, this thread title is totally misleading.  When you say "Epic Animation".. I thought you meant "Epic", not "Sultry".  

I mean, they already have a /dance animation (likely just a placeholder for now)!  Also, the animation linked by the OP looks like it would be some sort of a seductive taunt/charm, but god can you imagine the interupt probability of that skill if a chanter/tank actually tried to pull something like that off in a battle?!  Plus, animations are typically made for the skill/race and often dont take into account the gender... so please no... https://giphy.com/gifs/moon-ironman-sailor-DNNuyVECj7jVK

So, when I think "Epic Animation" I think of something that was well described by the devs of EQNext.  They were creating these Heroic Movements and animations for the game to give a more impactful feeling to movements and abilities.  However, Pantheon devs have stated (in like the first stream or something) that they dont plan to have that Heroic look or feel to the game, that they want to bring it back to reality and functionality.  Shouldpads that are thrice as big as your head, Buster Swords, Asteroth Axes, and all the likes are specificially being avoided to avoid immersion decimation.  

As Riahuf22 said, expressive emotes would be cool, but as philo said, that is definitely something that is 'extra' in the game and does not need any attention right now.

• 2419 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:08 AM PST

If an Ogre tried that move it would break whatever weapon she was wielding.  And can you even think of a Skar trying to pull that off?  /shudder

Besides, when in a fight are you going to have the time to do that sort of thing?  6 characters in a group, all with epic weapons and they all decide to use this at the same time.   Yeah, would work great!

• 19 posts
    December 26, 2019 9:27 AM PST

I'm ok with keeping the "fortnight" emotes out of this game

• 1428 posts
    December 26, 2019 9:58 AM PST

eh to each his own.  different cultures are doing to have different approaches.  indian(not native american) belly dancing compared to square dancing.  ballroom to salsa.  it wouldn't be farfetched for elves or dark myr to dress what humans would consider 'skimpy'.  one could even say ogre or skar dress primitive.

i would make more sense that there is a blend considering 9 different races with different cultures.  power to diversity!

• 1404 posts
    December 26, 2019 10:03 AM PST

Vandraad said:

If an Ogre tried that move it would break whatever weapon she was wielding.  And can you even think of a Skar trying to pull that off?  /shudder

Besides, when in a fight are you going to have the time to do that sort of thing?  6 characters in a group, all with epic weapons and they all decide to use this at the same time.   Yeah, would work great!

You didn't much read anything I said did you?

• 411 posts
    December 26, 2019 2:12 PM PST

I would much rather this not be included in Pantheon for various reasons.

• 2419 posts
    December 26, 2019 2:18 PM PST

Zorkon said:

Vandraad said:

You didn't much read anything I said did you?

I did. You had an idea that epic weapons should have some stupid animation to go with it.  Even if that GIF you posted isn't what you would want as a final product, the fact you still want some animation that will take up time is, well not worth the developers even considering.  Waste..of..effort.

• 520 posts
    December 26, 2019 4:59 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

Hmmm I was imagining an attack. /shrug. Looks like a rather sweet monk attack to me.

Attack similar to shaolin monks with the bo could work nicely in the game where we play solo, but imagine a monk doing this attack in Pantheon, close to party members - you'd knock down everyone friend or foe alike xP But if it would be attack/performance based on martial arts - even if a bit over the top, then I'd be ok with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbow21FKJS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENqMy1BU2-Y

• 220 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:49 PM PST

i dont think it will fit Pantheon lore...

NO.

• 1714 posts
    December 26, 2019 8:23 PM PST

The last thing this game needs is anime stylized over the top animations. Also, what a creepy post, blech. If people won't play this game because they can't twirl on a pole outside an inn collecting rested EXP, they were never going to play it in the first place. 

• 238 posts
    December 26, 2019 10:22 PM PST

I'm going to keep this response light. I think when you start trying to censor adult themes you also limit your capabilities regarding the depiction and implementation of darker themes and tones.

I am not saying that players need to be allowed to have their characters run around completely nude, or engaging in explicit adult activity. However, for reference, EverQuests main mascot was always depicted in adult lighting. She always had more skin showing than not, and the game's Teen rating on release reflected this more adult mindset.

This Teen rating also allowed for the expansion and expression of some of the darker themes within the game such as undead character models, necromantic lore, dark elf culture, some of the lore regarding specific deities... etc.

• 1714 posts
    December 26, 2019 10:41 PM PST

Baldur said:

I'm going to keep this response light. I think when you start trying to censor adult themes you also limit your capabilities regarding the depiction and implementation of darker themes and tones.

I am not saying that players need to be allowed to have their characters run around completely nude, or engaging in explicit adult activity. However, for reference, EverQuests main mascot was always depicted in adult lighting. She always had more skin showing than not, and the game's Teen rating on release reflected this more adult mindset.

This Teen rating also allowed for the expansion and expression of some of the darker themes within the game such as undead character models, necromantic lore, dark elf culture, some of the lore regarding specific deities... etc.

I think you're gonna have a hard time making that logic stick. Sexy animations have nothing to do with setting a dark tone in a game. The suggestion that Firiona Vie's cleavage allowed them to express dark elf culture is laughable. An easy argument could be made to the complete opposite, that "showing skin" was pandering to teen boy culture and yet they were still able overcome that with actual, mature, themes. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at December 26, 2019 10:42 PM PST