Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Item Spawn Variant

• 724 posts
    December 22, 2019 9:10 AM PST
    Off upon another adventure we go, across the dangerous world of Terminus. We cut across fields and avoid little sticky situations. Into a wood we start.

About 50 paces in the Paladin is down.

Unknown to many the forest will sometime spawn a tree limb, useful to make staffs or handles but deadly as they spawn high in the canopy and drop.
    Like in all worlds, the trees are hard and heavy and a falling limb can kill or main.

Say a 70% chance to die and 30% to injury.

Spawn is random and infrequent.

Chance of getting hit on a normal walk is 0.001%

But just the danger being known is an add to the feelz.

What say you fellow adventurer?
    • 624 posts
    December 22, 2019 9:37 AM PST

Was tired when I replied to this thread and got way off topic (thought it was about insta-random-death-from-above, not a fan one bit). I am okay with traps / dangers about which you can learn to avoid, but please don't kill me with some bad roll on the RNG with no warning (EppE's answer is more succinct). Wrote a long reply stating why tree limbs are not dangerous (agree strongly with Celandor there - unless high winds and even then, the odds are many, MANY orders of magnitude smaller than 0.001% of crushing you). Upon review I realized the post was about a new type of danger gathering some special wood for crafting so I deleted the text of my post.  But others below had the same confusion - so add me to the "no-tree-limb-insta-death-without-warning" club.  If harvesting some craft bits out in the world is dangerous - I am fine with that. Just give ME, not a line a code, some say in the matter.  Games that kill me for spite - with no knowledge gained or chance to avoid - are not fun. Thanks!

This post was edited by Kumu at December 22, 2019 4:11 PM PST
    • 370 posts
    December 22, 2019 11:24 AM PST

No.

If I just give a one word answer some people may get upset, but honestly it's that simple. I don't like this idea.

• 724 posts
    December 22, 2019 2:05 PM PST
    What if it's large birds in the trees and they 'contributed' a hard heavy dropping?
    • 133 posts
    December 22, 2019 2:09 PM PST

I'm going to say no. It would be alright if I had the option on whether or not I want that to happen, but seeing as that this is ultimately a game, I'm going to have to say no.

• 238 posts
    December 22, 2019 2:45 PM PST

At first glance, I thought this post was referring to rare crafting materials and how they spawned within the world.  Then I read the part about tree limbs falling and killing people and had to do a 180 and re-read.

I'm going to break my response down into two parts.

1. I think that things like traps are a cool feature be they in the open world or just in ancient ruins. However, there needs to be a way to identify, disarm, or avoid the trap. The scenario that you described seems like a random occurrence with no way to actually identify this potential threat.  I am all for a dynamic world with threats of all types (including traps), however, with an exp debt tied to death a player should be able to perceive the potential threats within the world, vs have them just happen as a random occurrence.

2. I think the idea of rare crafting materials spawning is a good idea. Be that meaning that while mining a node has a chance to grant a rare material, enemies having the chance to drop rare materials, or rare nodes designed specifically for that material spawning at random. I am all for Pantheon having an advanced and complex crafting system. I think the more materials that are placed within the game the more room professions have to grow, overlap, diversify, and complexify themselves. It would be nice to see an intense crafting system that isn't like a lot of the watered down/simplified versions experienced in a good majority of MMOs today.  (Edit) I could also see traps dropping crafting items when they are disarmed.

This post was edited by Baldur at December 22, 2019 2:59 PM PST
    • 557 posts
    December 22, 2019 3:20 PM PST

The likelihood of getting injured by falling objects when walking through a forest has got to be near zero.

For many reasons, I'd say no to this.  I think Terminus is going to have enough environmental perils and the terrain in the zones I've seen previewed looks quite challenging already.

• 1714 posts
    December 22, 2019 4:05 PM PST

It was generally regarded as lazy/poor design when they started making raid bosses death touch. Death touching fronds? Count me out. 

• 624 posts
    December 26, 2019 1:41 PM PST

NY Times article today about a Minnesota hiker that was killed by a falling redwood tree (4ft diameter, 200ft tall). Sad, but true. Still don't want it implemented in a game.

Over a million visitors to the national park every year - this is incredibly rare, spokesperson believes recent storms contributed to tragedy.

This post was edited by Kumu at December 26, 2019 1:43 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    December 26, 2019 1:50 PM PST

i hear a single arrow to the knee can end one's adventuring career.  many have even said it is a fate worse than having a tree fall and instantly killing you.

oh wait if you're serious about that, yea that sucks.

This post was edited by NoJuiceViscosity at December 26, 2019 1:51 PM PST
    • 724 posts
    December 26, 2019 3:03 PM PST
    Aw. Man that's sad to hear.

But I'm leaning towards the "bird poo of unreasonable size" in place of the tree limb.

That's not going to be in the news to bum us all out
    • 627 posts
    December 27, 2019 10:19 PM PST
    Rather have it tired to the climates system and let a haigl storm accure that the player has to be mindfull of and seek cover in order to not take damage or feel some chill effects