Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Town appropriate wardrobe

• 2419 posts
    December 17, 2019 1:34 PM PST

You all realize there is already a mechanic built into the game that fixes this concern.  It's called 'unequip your weapon'!  That's right. You can just open you character sheet and movce your weapons from your primary/secondary/range into your inventory!  No special programming, animations or arwork from VR required.  So there ya go.

• 3016 posts
    December 17, 2019 2:41 PM PST

Are we playing Mr. Dressup? :P  What would be "town appropriate"  pink tutus and bunny slippers?     If people want to wear  "town" costumes..let them.   It shouldn't be forced..or enforceable.   Just give me a toggle so I don't have to look at something I consider to be far far outside the lore of Pantheon. :P

Cana

• 34 posts
    December 17, 2019 3:54 PM PST

HemlockReaper said:

So your saying you would rather NPC’s just reacted to players brandishing their weapons or parading around in battle gear either by running away or refusing service?

No. That's what you want. That's why you want town appropriate clothing. I don't want that because I think the idea is combersome, tedius and just plain not enjoyable to do every time you enter a town and that having NPCs run away from a character just because they're dressed in battle-ready attire is absolutely ludicrous. This is an example of the game forcing roleplay. I don't want that YOU do. So don't project your silly ideas onto me, thanks. If you think the example you gave is "encouraging," then you and I are clearly at a disagreement on what that word means.

• 291 posts
    December 17, 2019 6:02 PM PST

Vandraad said:

You all realize there is already a mechanic built into the game that fixes this concern.  It's called 'unequip your weapon'!  That's right. You can just open you character sheet and movce your weapons from your primary/secondary/range into your inventory!  No special programming, animations or arwork from VR required.  So there ya go.

So immersive.

• 159 posts
    December 17, 2019 6:19 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

Vandraad said:

So immersive.

So I just watched a few random clips of Lord of the Rings. Often times they (Gimili, Legolas, Gandalf) travel with their weapons (axe, bow, staff) in hand, even when there is clearly no danger. When possible enemies are in the area, they are always ready to go. Why would I sheath my weapon out in a random zone with enemies around, ever?

Not sure if the novel agrees, but ff it's in LoTR, it's got to be right.

This post was edited by Kass at December 17, 2019 6:19 PM PST
    • 12 posts
    December 17, 2019 6:34 PM PST

While I certainly enjoy a measure of immersion into any game I play, I have no interest in true to form 'role play'. I'm certainly not entertained by the idea that I can't wear what I choose to wear because there are some people who don't think I should wear it. While I don't think your suggestion was meant as malicious, I do think you underestimated how taking someone's right to choose away to please yourself (and others who share your opinion) would be viewed negatively by the community at large.

But all of that aside, I believe the opposite. Often times out in the world (so to speak), you don't really get to socialize all that much, being more focused on achieving ones goals out in the world, but in 'town', that's where you get to see some of the cool stuff people have collected and are flaunting. Think antique car show in the Culvers parking lot of MMO gaming :)

• 220 posts
    December 17, 2019 7:38 PM PST

casual clothing for town???

ppsssttt......that just more junk taking up my inventory space

• 291 posts
    December 17, 2019 7:48 PM PST

Was trying to be funny. Tough crowd. But seriously sometimes needing to inven weapons does make sense.

• 2138 posts
    December 17, 2019 9:16 PM PST

Not a fine line, but I see it as a broad line.

As a game mechanic, it becomes a mini-timesink: players having to change just outside of town all the time every time and carrying around a set of clothes. So not so appealing.

From an individual choice to RP? awesome.

Faction modifiers: are examples of a mechanic in place that accomplishes the same kind of thing without being completely intrusive. Usually obtained through a quest. Hold the scepter or wear the robe and the people will talk to you, take it off and they consider you beneath their time. Nice thing is, it's one item not all, could even be a ring.

coolness factor: if there were one or two towns or cities that had the OP's ruleset in place, perhaps where it overlooked race but was strict for fashion. Anyone is allowed in provided you wear certain clothes (acclimated clothes?- atmosphere AND faction acclimated clothes? sounds like a loooong quest) and of course at the other end for balance, anyone allowed provided you are ready for battle, no pansy-waisted milk-sucking wet-bottoms in here.

Just by the fact that they are open to all might be unbalancing because everyone would head there and stay there and not bother with working on other towns- but if it was hard to get in, it might be worth while.

• 520 posts
    December 17, 2019 11:31 PM PST

Interesting idea. I am rather against cosmetic gear or at least preventing me to see other players REAL equipment, but something that would make us change our "WORK" gear into something fancy and cosmetic while in towns? I certainly wouldn't have problem with that.

AbsoluteTerror said:

casual clothing for town???

ppsssttt......that just more junk taking up my inventory space

That depends how it will be implemented - maybe it could be something like cosmetics in Path of Exile - maybe it won't take your inventory space and you'll have separate window for equiping it.

This post was edited by Hegenox at December 17, 2019 11:36 PM PST
    • 1428 posts
    December 20, 2019 7:54 PM PST

so yea i installed some mods that made it a crime to wear certain armours in certain cities for skyrim.  yea.  it's dumb.  too tedious.  i don't even know how bag space is going to work in pantheon.  i don't recommend this.  it detracts too much from gameplay.

• 1404 posts
    December 21, 2019 7:43 PM PST

I'm thinking just run naked through town would be a great work arround.

• 238 posts
    December 21, 2019 9:23 PM PST

While I'm not against players having the option of equipping town appropriate wardrobe, I don't see any practical sense in making it mandatory to have this gear equipped while in town. I could see this argument maybe being made for major cities, however, it doesn't make any sense for smaller towns that are out in the open world and potentially on the fray of battle.   

I feel like this idea constitutes as more of a role-playing aspect, and while it is unique, having it as a mandatory system/feature that affects all players isn't something that I think is needed.

Now I do think there should be consequences for attacking players, or NPCs in the majority of cities/towns in the world (maybe with the exception of certain areas/specific towns based on their intended purpose/ design e.x: an arena, a town filled with bounty hunters who don't care...etc.). However, beyond being attacked and killed by the guards in the area and losing exp as a result I don't know what else could be done as a consequence. Maybe also losing a little bit of rep for each attack or a substantial amount for killing an NPC up to the point the players is KOS by the guards.

• 521 posts
    December 21, 2019 9:57 PM PST

Having read though the posts, I will agree that making a certain set of clothing mandatory to an area would be a bit of a hardship for most players, however I don't think its unreasonable to have the NPC’s of any given area reacting to you based on your chosen outfit.

To me, this is another level of immersion that has mostly been ignored in games. Obvious as it may be that brandishing a weapon in a civilized area might raise suspicions, or even fear, the same can be said for various reactions based on the overall appearance of an individual.

This really comes down to how stagnant do we want our NPC’s, are we content to not have a large ? Over their heads, or do we expect a merchant to wince when dealing with a customer dressed as the Grey Fox, or tremble a bit when approached by the known murderer Vandraad.

• 56 posts
    December 22, 2019 5:22 AM PST

In an MMO world, you do not want anything more to discourage people from gathering in town. You want people to be willing to go to town to sell, buy, make stuff whatever they want to do. If I have to inventory manage just to go to town I am not going.  

• 370 posts
    December 22, 2019 11:27 AM PST

EQ had NPCs react to weapons... if you hit them with one they attacked you.

I think it was Aion that had a hot key to switch between combat in town clothing. I'm all for this idea. It lets players decide if they want to wear some zero stat cool looking items when they are in town. I dislike the idea of having NPCs react to someone because they are holding a weapon, or have a weapon sheathed. It doesn't make the game more immersive to me, it just creates another level of tedium. 

• 133 posts
    December 22, 2019 1:31 PM PST

I would have to say no to the town wardrobe thing, though I don't mind certain quests or questlines needing a specific wardrobe. If you have a mission that needs you to get into somewhere unnoticed or without causing an issue, then either you can have the quest NPC give you the money to buy an outfit and give you a location to do so, or you can go to said location and steal a set off of someone or from somewhere and use that. Though to have town clothing forced on people is just not great. Not only does it take up room in ones bags, but it also carries a weight, and if people have a weight limit, they are surely not going to want to carry around useless clothing for just town. Not to mention people are not going to up their strength just to be able to carry it; especially if their class doesn't need all that much strength and that it would be a waste of points.

• 68 posts
    December 22, 2019 2:47 PM PST

I cannot tell you how it warms my heart to see some people in this thread fighting back against the crazy ideas of the roleplayers around here. I knew I couldnt be the only one who wanted to relax with friends and just kill some damn dragons. I run to town to sell, I don't want to spend a second longer than I have to then right back out to the fun stuff. I am consistantly shaking my head on these forums at the amount of people who want to control what others do/say. I am not saying you're a bad person, just do you and i'll do me.

• 557 posts
    December 22, 2019 3:35 PM PST

I agree with OCL in the post above.  The only time the game should mandate what you wear is perhaps if you need a disguise to get into a certain area or some other quest specific mechanic.

Hey, I have an idea.  What if you can't camp for the night unless you are wearing your pyjamas?