Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

No Drop Items!

• 2138 posts
    December 18, 2019 8:38 AM PST

I think the Idea behind No drop is a back-door way to enforce what comes naturally to good people.

The movie, natural born killers with Juliette Lewis comes to mind.

In the game world: you go out, you quest, you obtain item and use item. Happy days.

If you want to play another character and get said item, you go out, you quest, you obtain and use item for that character. Happy days. If this takes you away from spending time with friends you made on another character? well, that is your choice to make. You spend your time the way you want to, you've paid the subscription.

If you No longer use the No-drop item, it becomes a representation of the memory of the adventure you had. Perhaps you take it out from time to time to show people and tell the story or make an argument for housing so you can display it without it taking up inventory space. Or you destroy it because it takes up inventory space and after all, it's only pixels, anyways.

End of story. 

I say, end of story.

No drop bothers no one. Practically means nothing.

This post was edited by Manouk at December 18, 2019 8:39 AM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 18, 2019 10:46 AM PST

The only beef I have with no drop is the number of times Ill likely need to flag and gear people from scratch, but admittedly this is healthy for a games replay value.

• 79 posts
    December 18, 2019 11:00 AM PST

Didn't they already state that when you use high level gear on low level characters that it will scale to their level?  Kind of doing away with the idea of twinking?  I ask because I am following a few games and sometimes I get them confused.

I understand having no drop or "souldbound" on certain items like epics and such.  But I think the majority of items should be tradeable.  If someone has the time and wants to put in the effort to farm for things so they can sell them, give them to guildies or friends, or do whatever with them then more power to them.  I remember trading and haggling my way into gear for me and my friends in Everquest and I would like that to be that way in this game.  Either way is fine with me, but my preference is to hardly have any no drop gear.

• 9115 posts
    December 19, 2019 3:48 AM PST

This thread has been promoted across our official social media channels for my CM content:

Hot Topic - No-Drop Items, what are your thoughts on them? https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/11403/no-drop-items #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 107 posts
    December 19, 2019 4:40 AM PST
    Only if it applies to Legendary or Epic weapons/gear. Those items should involve lengthy steps to obtain. But if an item merely drops from mobs, regardless of rarity, it should be able to "drop" from players as well.
    • 1584 posts
    December 19, 2019 6:58 AM PST
    Personal opinion, long quests, iconic items that make particular classes shine, some high end gear, just so it requires people to explore at end game and get things on their own and not just farm gold to get them. Simply put use it where it makes sense, I know it shouldn't be abundant, but it should be seen enough to realize things can't simply be obtained by merely doing the same thing over and over again.
    • 438 posts
    December 19, 2019 7:37 AM PST
    I think No Drop should only pertain to Epic line quests for weapons/gear. Or for any other long quest line items. As far as stuff that drops from mobs, those too should be tradable between players.
    • 238 posts
    December 19, 2019 8:26 AM PST

While I am a believer in free trade, I believe that no drop items have their place in certain situations and not everything should be subject to free trade.

1. The majority of high-end raid items should be BoP. This promotes people to go out and actually participate in the raids vs buying all their gear form AH. The same goes for high-end PvP (depending on how this evolves in Pantheon). The only exception to this rule is epic quality crafted gear, I believe the crafters should be relevant and they should be able to compeat with raid quality gear and high-end PVP gear. However, the materials needed for this crafted raid quality/PVP quality gear should be extremely difficult to get either in its rairity or acquisition. I also feel like ALL crafting materials should be subject to free trade, or at the very least be account bound if they are BoP. 

*One of the things that irritates me on WoW is that there are items called sanguine cells and they are bound to the character that gets them. It sorta makes sense that you cant trade these items with other players based on how they are acquired, however, you also can freely trade them to your other characters. If you have a profession that doesn't get a lot of use from these items such as enchanting and alchemy, then they just sit and rot in your bags.  

2. Lore specific items such as quest items, perception skill items, class epics, legendary weapons, things from reputation vendors, and the majority of mounts should be no drop.

3. Maybe certain crafted items that only benefit the crafter themselves. For example, WoW has recently implemented a professional item called "tools of the trade" for every profession.  This item allows the player to gather additional resources/ craft additional items. It requires the player to have 150/175 in the profession before they get the quest to obtain the ability to craft this item. This is an item that is a physical manifestation of a player's time and effort put into the crafting profession and is not something that should be freely bought and sold on the AH.

This post was edited by Baldur at December 19, 2019 8:35 AM PST
    • 287 posts
    December 19, 2019 9:45 AM PST

I love having the ability to buy a good twink, and I also love having a game where you can't simply buy yourself a top character. No Drop items are fine for me when used appropraitely. If a really bad dagger drops and turns out to be No Drop, then I would imagine it would be for some quest that may turn into a really good dagger.

A better question would be whether that quest reward dagger should be no drop. It would allow you to twink another character, or profit by selling to another player, and would ultimately create a situation where you have prevented bot farmers from perma-camping good items because the time:reward ratio gets taken way down but you still allow actual players to do what they want with the item.

• 1428 posts
    December 19, 2019 10:04 AM PST

no drop items for all equip items!

shared bank for characters of the same account.

allow equipment to be transferrable to characters of same account.

no direct p2p transfers of equipment or money.  such transaction occur through the marketplace/auction house plus taxes at a broad fix adjustable rate.

consumables and raw materials are free game to allow barter between p2p.

• 1315 posts
    December 19, 2019 1:16 PM PST

Rather than no drop I would have soul-bound items.  Soul-Bound items would be untradeable, would be on your body after death and would not suffer item decay.

No items in the game drop as soul-bound but quest rewards can be given as soul-bound. Items are either mundane or magical. Mundane items need to have enchantments added to them to become soul-bound. Magic items that drop are effectively in their un-powered state when they drop. A player soul-binds an magic item to them to begin powering the item (see feeding them bits of their soul). While gaining experience the items reach power level thresholds, eventually reaching their maximum power.

Through an expensive process players can unbinded soul-bound items that are not class specific or artifacts. Those items then drop back to their un-powered state and are tradeable, a new player will need to bind and repower them before they are fully functional for that new player.

Quest drops should be changed to either perception flags or no rent items depending on their game function rather than inventory clutter.

• 2752 posts
    December 19, 2019 1:34 PM PST

How much sacrifice must we endure in the name of fighting RMT? It's a battle that cannot be won and all these roadblocks/hamstrung systems end up doing is damaging the game for the rest of us. 

No-drop items? Should be very limited, mostly to pinnacle gear from highly challenging content for groups/raids, epic quests, and certain non-epic quests. 

• 81 posts
    December 19, 2019 1:59 PM PST

I, personally, detest no-drop items and see no positive reason for it that is not handled better another way.

• 1428 posts
    December 19, 2019 2:00 PM PST

Iksar said:

How much sacrifice must we endure in the name of fighting RMT? It's a battle that cannot be won and all these roadblocks/hamstrung systems end up doing is damaging the game for the rest of us. 

No-drop items? Should be very limited, mostly to pinnacle gear from highly challenging content for groups/raids, epic quests, and certain non-epic quests. 

none needed sir!  just let players attack other players on anytime anywhere!!  then players can combat rmt with their own bloody hands!  huzzah self governance!  we the denizens are the system!!!1!!

• 81 posts
    December 19, 2019 2:01 PM PST

Double post,  sorry

This post was edited by KatoKhan at December 19, 2019 2:02 PM PST