Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

In One Word - Describe your feelings about gold farming?

• 9115 posts
    December 12, 2019 3:57 AM PST

In One Word - Describe your feelings about gold farming? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

For clarification: Gold farming, not Gold selling

Gold farming is gold farming no matter who does it but the act of selling anything in-game for real money is RMT and a very different subject, one we do not condone and one we will punish harshly.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 12, 2019 12:53 PM PST
    • 261 posts
    December 12, 2019 4:05 AM PST

Boring

• 724 posts
    December 12, 2019 4:07 AM PST
    Illegal
    • 1584 posts
    December 12, 2019 4:09 AM PST

Unavoidable

• 768 posts
    December 12, 2019 5:02 AM PST

Dreadful

Hopefully Terminus' challenges make it near to impossible to farm for gold with 1 account or multiple accounts by having the complexity encounters (and loottable?) set to size.

I do believe there is a thread about loot to coin conversion somewhere on this forum.

Could be allowed/moved on the same server where boxing is allowed, hint hint.

Difficult to prevent from happening, but system abuse can be managed and in case a gold farm scenario becomes a public secret, it can be dealt with over time.

• 3852 posts
    December 12, 2019 5:02 AM PST

Aaaargghhhhh!!!!!

• 107 posts
    December 12, 2019 5:03 AM PST
    Inevitable.
    • 1019 posts
    December 12, 2019 5:14 AM PST

Destructive.

• 1584 posts
    December 12, 2019 5:42 AM PST

I feel like some people are geting confusing between gold farming and gold farmers, as one is unavoidable and the other is against ToS, obviously Kilsin isn't asking us what we think about something that is illegal, as it wouldn't really matter if we agreed with it or not if it went against ToS.

• 172 posts
    December 12, 2019 6:37 AM PST

Necessary

How else am i going to buy any shiny new armor if i dont farm any gold!

• 2138 posts
    December 12, 2019 6:43 AM PST

Dissipation (the 3rd definition)

The idea is to take what is presented to you and not stress it. At least that was my belief, thinking that surely the design was there and not having enough money for all spells at younger levels was intentional- you had to choose based on description and playstyle. For instance I leared to forego the radiant AOE spells because if the monsters were that close, and multiple, the damage I caused would not be enough to kill them all and I would die first, likewise with the rains. So having 'wasted" money the first time on the low level radiant AE, I saved it by concentrating on the Direct damage as I leveled up.

I also thought that was the idea, not enough money for spells lead you to research or those that could research spells, where if you had the mats you could give them to a researcher add get the spell cheaper than what the merchant offered, or keep adventuring to get the mats to research them yourself.   

But going out specifically just to get stuff to sell to get gold, seems like a waste of play-time and sounds like a job.

• 521 posts
    December 12, 2019 6:50 AM PST

caliginis

Gold Farming is wrong regardless of the intent to sell or not, your increasing the supply of gold in the world without engaging with the game in any meaningful way, while generally in a low risk area to boot( Little or no repair cost). Players need to just play the game, incur the natural Risks-Rewards that comes from that. Gold Farming to fill your own coffers it just as damaging as the ones doing it for real money profit, and should be a bannable offense

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at December 12, 2019 2:29 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    December 12, 2019 7:15 AM PST

Kilsin said:

In One Word - Describe your feelings about gold farming? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Intrinsic.

Now for some clarification.  Players need currency for any number of reasons.  To finance your tradeskills, to buy that item you saw on the market, etc.  How you get that is to kill NPCs.  If you're specifically looking to earn gold in the game for in-game purposes, you are gold farming.  You're not concerned with XP, but if you do get some XP it's just a side benefit.  There is nothing wrong with farming gold in this scenario.

Where gold farming is destructive is when you then sell that gold for real money (RMT).  Naturally we do not want this type of activity supported, yet if you're looking at 2 players killing the same mobs specifically to earn gold, can you really tell which one is doing that for legitimate in-game purposes and which one is not?  Doubtful.

You can neither punish players for farming gold nor eliminate all legitimate means by which you can earn that gold.  What VR can do is implmement appropriate transaction tracking tools such that every transaction is monitored and suspicious ones are flagged for further scrutiny. When you find the RMT, you punish the specific person(s) involved.  EVE Online had a very creative solution:  When the person was discovered, not only did they remove the money from the person who paid for the in-game currency, they also reset the bank accounts of both the seller and buyer to a negative amount equal to the money sold. So if you bought 9B ISK and got caught, you'de find your bank account at -9B.  And because all PC-NPC transactions had a fee/tax applied, you couldn't use any NPC services until that debt was repaid.

• 1584 posts
    December 12, 2019 7:21 AM PST

Vandraad said:

Kilsin said:

Intrinsic.

Now for some clarification.  Players need currency for any number of reasons.  To finance your tradeskills, to buy that item you saw on the market, etc.  How you get that is to kill NPCs.  If you're specifically looking to earn gold in the game for in-game purposes, you are gold farming.  You're not concerned with XP, but if you do get some XP it's just a side benefit.  There is nothing wrong with farming gold in this scenario.

Where gold farming is destructive is when you then sell that gold for real money (RMT).  Naturally we do not want this type of activity supported, yet if you're looking at 2 players killing the same mobs specifically to earn gold, can you really tell which one is doing that for legitimate in-game purposes and which one is not?  Doubtful.

You can neither punish players for farming gold nor eliminate all legitimate means by which you can earn that gold.  What VR can do is implmement appropriate transaction tracking tools such that every transaction is monitored and suspicious ones are flagged for further scrutiny. When you find the RMT, you punish the specific person(s) involved.  EVE Online had a very creative solution:  When the person was discovered, not only did they remove the money from the person who paid for the in-game currency, they also reset the bank accounts of both the seller and buyer to a negative amount equal to the money sold. So if you bought 9B ISK and got caught, you'de find your bank account at -9B.  And because all PC-NPC transactions had a fee/tax applied, you couldn't use any NPC services until that debt was repaid.

Looks like we found a solution to the cheaters and leaves the honest one, to stay honest and go on their way they want to play their game.

• 438 posts
    December 12, 2019 7:57 AM PST
    Dandy

Really like what Vandraad put. I see nothing wrong with farming NPCs for currency to fund your character(s). As long as it doesn’t turn into RMT nonsense.
    • 1428 posts
    December 12, 2019 8:29 AM PST

china

• 500 posts
    December 12, 2019 8:31 AM PST

Reprehensible.

• 520 posts
    December 12, 2019 8:50 AM PST

I DIG it ;-)

This post was edited by Hegenox at December 12, 2019 1:15 PM PST
    • 291 posts
    December 12, 2019 10:52 AM PST

Synergistic

• 68 posts
    December 12, 2019 11:15 AM PST

upsetting

• 9115 posts
    December 12, 2019 12:54 PM PST

Edited the post as there seems to be some confusion with people thinking of Gold selling rather than Gold farming which are two very different acts.

• 90 posts
    December 12, 2019 1:47 PM PST

indifferent

This post was edited by Sunglare at December 12, 2019 1:48 PM PST
    • 557 posts
    December 12, 2019 2:39 PM PST

Fuzzy.

I'm not sure how you even define farming in a diverse MMO.   If I'm out exploring the world and collecting resource nodes, isn't that farming?   If I'm camping mobs to sell their loot, that's farming.  If I'm camping a +10 DEX ring for everyone in my guild, that's farming.   Since you can't grow gold/cash on trees, everyone is going to be working for a living in one way or another.

My concern is more about specific mob/resource monopolization by a small group, rather than worrying whether player X is accumulating gold on an epic scale.  If they aren't monopolizing a specific spawn and effectively blocking the rest of the server, it's of no concern to me.

• 6 posts
    December 13, 2019 2:47 AM PST

Blergh.

• 2756 posts
    December 13, 2019 2:56 AM PST

Meh