Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

immersiveness

• 45 posts
    December 11, 2019 8:21 PM PST

Dear Pantheon Creators

I was simply wondering if you would have the characters sheathe their weapons after a battle like they did in EQ2?

I have played a lot of EQ1 and 2 + other games like them and even though it might be considered a small thing, I think it adds so much to the realism of the game that everyone is not running around in the city and other peacefull areas with their huge 2-handed battle axe in the hand all the time. Actually, after playing EQ2 I thought it was a huge miss if the characters of a game did not put their weapons away after a battle or fight.

Now I am not saying they should do like in EQ2 where you would put your weapon away right after a fight, only to pull it back again 1 second later for the next encounter. There could be a delay of maybe 30 seconds to a minute or maybe even in some areas have the weapons drawn at all time to show your character is alert in dangerous surroundings - but please not inside a friendly city, it looks so wrong when you have played EQ2 for some time.

Other than that, thank you for making an awesome game that we EQ, players have missed in sooo many years now!

Best regards Nusser

This post was edited by Nusser at December 11, 2019 8:22 PM PST
    • 278 posts
    December 11, 2019 8:59 PM PST

nice ide like it

Have a keybind to put weapon away outside camps/cities and have a keybind to a showoff key in cities so the young ones can shine in the cities.

I would even like if it possible to have npc's noice a drawn weapon and respond to it.

This post was edited by Grizzly at December 11, 2019 9:14 PM PST
    • 49 posts
    December 11, 2019 11:04 PM PST

I recently started to play EverQuest on Project1999 and the most annoying thing about melee characters is how they always run around with their swords and shields out while looking as stiff as a rock no matter if they are in combat or out of combat. This isn't something anyone should worry about though. The Pantheon devs clearly care about immersion. And really, it is an expected feature of all RPGs since the mid 2000s.

• 520 posts
    December 12, 2019 2:35 AM PST

I quite agree - we should be able to sheath/put on the backs our weapons

• 2419 posts
    December 12, 2019 9:15 AM PST

Meh.  It doesn't bother me one bit that in EQ1 we always held onto our weapons.  It isn't immersion breaking for me.  That said, sheathing weapons would be an interesting visual nicety, but if the development of such a thing pushed out the release by even a single day I'd say wait and add it when you do an expansion.  We're nearing 6 years on this thing already with no release date in site.

• 3852 posts
    December 12, 2019 9:47 AM PST

As a global comment not any more related to this topic than any other - I agree with Vandraad.

Any minor improvements that will not delay alpha, beta or release are great.

Any minor improvements that will delay things should be put on a long list titled "nice things to do but not as important to the survival of VR as getting the game out and revenue coming in".

The goal should be a very good game in the shortest possible time.

Not a game in the shortest possible time - better to wait than to have one that isn't very good.

But equally not a perfect game with hundreds of little improvements - even if every one of us agreed with every improvement. The heat death of the universe will occur before we and the developers stop coming up with improvements.

• 520 posts
    December 12, 2019 2:29 PM PST

So this question was answered in todays stream: This will be added, but at a much later date since it's far from being a priority.

• 184 posts
    December 14, 2019 10:49 PM PST

Vandraad said:

Meh.  It doesn't bother me one bit that in EQ1 we always held onto our weapons.  It isn't immersion breaking for me.  That said, sheathing weapons would be an interesting visual nicety, but if the development of such a thing pushed out the release by even a single day I'd say wait and add it when you do an expansion.  We're nearing 6 years on this thing already with no release date in site.

Amen...

• 1281 posts
    December 15, 2019 6:30 AM PST

Nusser said:

Dear Pantheon Creators

I was simply wondering if you would have the characters sheathe their weapons after a battle like they did in EQ2?

I have played a lot of EQ1 and 2 + other games like them and even though it might be considered a small thing, I think it adds so much to the realism of the game that everyone is not running around in the city and other peacefull areas with their huge 2-handed battle axe in the hand all the time. Actually, after playing EQ2 I thought it was a huge miss if the characters of a game did not put their weapons away after a battle or fight.

Now I am not saying they should do like in EQ2 where you would put your weapon away right after a fight, only to pull it back again 1 second later for the next encounter. There could be a delay of maybe 30 seconds to a minute or maybe even in some areas have the weapons drawn at all time to show your character is alert in dangerous surroundings - but please not inside a friendly city, it looks so wrong when you have played EQ2 for some time.

Other than that, thank you for making an awesome game that we EQ, players have missed in sooo many years now!

Best regards Nusser

I know that they've said that they will be creating the sheathing of weapons out of combat, but one thing that I am hoping for is not being able to climb if you do have your weapons out.  Nothing more "immersion breaking" that some dude with a big battle hammer in his hand (*cough cough* CohhCarnage *cough cough*) and climbing a wall.