Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Ground effects

• 520 posts
    December 10, 2019 12:45 PM PST

What would you say for randomly appearing "ground buffs" for certain classes - like "consecrated ground" for clerics and paladin, "desecrated ground" for necro, "aetherial vein" for wizard and summoner, "field of honour" for warriors etc. They would add bonuses very beneficial to corresponding classes (maybe for 15-30 min) - though they'd be rather rare and hard to spot (they'd act more like a small shrines rather than entire zone buff).

• 2040 posts
    December 10, 2019 2:41 PM PST

If they are truly random in both location and time of occurence, I'd have no issues with them. Though I don't offhand see them being of any great use. Did you have an idea how they could be more than an occasional "surprise gift" for players?

If they are not truly random then I think you'll wind up in a long argument about how "once known, they'll become required by the most elite guilds for the hardest content" LoL.

• 1714 posts
    December 10, 2019 2:48 PM PST

Seems like colored mana. 

• 2040 posts
    December 10, 2019 4:04 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

Seems like colored mana. 

I usually understand your meaning, even if I disagree with it.

Alas, this is not the case today.

• 520 posts
    December 10, 2019 5:50 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

Seems like colored mana. 

Colored mana is someting that will most likely affect crafting and nothing else, although they haven't released any info about it recently.

• 2040 posts
    December 11, 2019 9:37 AM PST

Hegenox said:

Colored mana is someting that will most likely affect crafting and nothing else, although they haven't released any info about it recently.

I am sure that someone mentioned ages ago that they had been told by a Dev that colored mana was off the agenda.

While there hasn't been any official statement to that effect, the lack of any mention of it for so long inclines me to believe it.

However, I never heard any discussion that suggested it would be of use for crafting?

• 291 posts
    December 11, 2019 9:56 AM PST

Maybe we can have this elaborated on in tomorrows stream?

• 768 posts
    December 11, 2019 11:21 AM PST

Does it have to be random? 

The perception of a warrior can lead him to a statue or warbanner somewhere. Interaction or just being in the proximity thereof, could already grant the warriorclass a buff of X time. 

Obviously, it cannot be an overpowering buff. It can still be of some service to the warrior. If you consider travel time to another hostile area nearby, the buffs can have some usage but perhaps it's less likely to be used for encounter at more distant locations. The storywriter can link the location of the class specific buff with a story of the surrounding area. 

I think it can add depth to the classes in the world. As long as it's not every class gets a buff every 5 miles apart, it could be interesting.

Can you give an example how lore can explain a random buff for a adventure class? This without it being scripted into or prior to an encounter? What would be the duration of these randoms?

• 2138 posts
    December 11, 2019 4:18 PM PST

They tried this in EQ in the undershore expansion, there were mushrooms you could crack open that would whoosh out some healing, or some mana, or some healing regen or some mana regen in amall area effect. Different colors would determine what the benefit was, they would respawn after a certain amount of time. Honestly it was a good idea, but never really used them. you had ot bring th fight to them and then use it at the right time and they were in out of the way places. Best use was in the Vishmitar Raid, that was a real breath of relief- had to time it just right! then you could keep fighting. 

• 1714 posts
    December 11, 2019 5:46 PM PST

Jothany said:

Keno Monster said:

Seems like colored mana. 

I usually understand your meaning, even if I disagree with it.

Alas, this is not the case today.

Color me confused, you don't understand? Having random ground effects is pretty much exactly what colored mana was. 

Hegenox said:

Keno Monster said:

Seems like colored mana. 

It has come to my attention that you may in fact be correct. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at December 11, 2019 6:18 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    December 12, 2019 9:17 AM PST

When I first saw this topic my mind thought "oh, if you're running in mud/sand/snow you would be slower.  If you're on a road you run slightly faster.  Going uphill is slower, downhill is faster".  That would be something I could get behind as it would make a lot of sense.

• 520 posts
    December 12, 2019 12:01 PM PST

Vandraad said:

When I first saw this topic my mind thought "oh, if you're running in mud/sand/snow you would be slower.  If you're on a road you run slightly faster.  Going uphill is slower, downhill is faster".  That would be something I could get behind as it would make a lot of sense.

I would like that as well, but I assumed such things are natural and there is no way they would be absent (maybe except uphill/downhill - but I love the idea!)

• 2040 posts
    December 12, 2019 1:47 PM PST

Keno Monster said:

Color me confused, you don't understand? Having random ground effects is pretty much exactly what colored mana was.

I've managed to find the forum post that Hegenox's comment is based on, but neither that nor the only other description of colored mana that I know of - the original one from the 'Pantheon Difference' page: "Different classes will use different colors of mana. Some rare abilities, spells, and prayers will use more than one color of mana" seem to ME to resemble randomly occuring buffs spread throughout the countryside.

So yes, color me confused.