Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Rested Experience - General Thoughts?

• 1584 posts
    December 26, 2019 2:40 AM PST

EppE said:

jpedrote said:

It pormotes not playing the game, it does not make sense, hope it's not implemented.

With the exception of FF14 1.0 I've never met anyone who felt not playing for rested exp was more rewarding than playing. If you play 8 hours a day someone who only plays 4 is not going to catch you. You will still out level them. I don't beleive a small amount of rested exp will break the game or trivilaize content. That being said I think this is a feature that could be implemented a year after launch or something. You could also "unlock rested" after reaching max level on a character then allow you to level alts with it.

Look Rested Exp isn't what is going to get people to log on, if they like the game they will log onto the game and chill or exp with part of the community, if they don't log on rested exp isn't going to change their mind, and thinking so sounds completely ridiculous to me.

If they can't play long hours, than they simply can't play long hours it's no one fault not the player, the game, or the community, so why should he be rewarded with something when it just is what it is.

Rested Exp shortens the journey for those players, and with that being a huge goal for this game, why would you want to cut into it with a feature that allows players to simply not play it for a certain amount of time?

If people like playing this game they will log on it is as simple as that, they will have fun exploring dungeons, killing monsters, grouping up with strangers.

And another thing is the Devs have brought up the Mentoring system so even if your friends get to high they can scale down and still party up with you and enjoy their time with you in their group, so that feature can take care of the whole rested exp by it self sense if planned appropriately you could and probably would gain more exp than rested exp would offer you anyway.

So in my opinion you don't need Rested Exp, the VR team had alrdy set certain parameters up for you to succeed in so many ways you simply just have to use them, and not look for a way to shorten your journey just to find out at the end you cheated yourself what could of been many great experiences and opportunties to meet new people and you could of potentially missed those all for the sake so trying to level up faster, if it were me at hind sight i would really dislike that if i found out such a thing happened.

This post was edited by Cealtric at December 26, 2019 2:52 AM PST
    • 168 posts
    December 26, 2019 7:34 AM PST

EQ2 did an interesting this with this, every hour you gained 0.5% of your adventure bonus exp bar.  This bonus exp only applied to exp gained from crafting stuff (which had its own bonus bar) and killing stuff, not quests.  This could be aquired both in game and out of game at the same rate.  I am not sure exactly how much 100% adventure bonus was worth, maybe like 1-2 levels of double exp or something?  

They also had Experience Debt on death rather than Experience Loss.  And this experience debt could be paid off at an extremely slow rate while offline if you didn't feel like just killing a few monsters to pay it off.  This was handy for those of us who love to die on raids and rack up that exp debt and not log in until the next raid :)

Just tossing ideas out there.. I felt that EQ2's "bonus exp" was more balanced since it allowed even actively playing people a small bonus once in a while.  However, I think bonus exp in general defeats the purpose of the levels..  Rather than bonus exp, I strongly believe in hell levels! plateaus! cliffs! Sometimes it is nice to have a huge wall to climb to get better! ... I cant tell you how many people I knew in the old EQ1 days that threw their keyboards through their monitors because they died at level 30, 45 or 54.  But it as something that created a lasting memory when you finally defeated that level!!!!!!

This post was edited by Kargen at December 26, 2019 7:35 AM PST