Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Community Debate - If you had to choose one to be in the game

• 9115 posts
    December 9, 2019 3:55 AM PST

Community Debate - If you had to choose one to be in the game - Flying mounts or Ground mounts, and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

• 520 posts
    December 9, 2019 4:14 AM PST

I thought this topic ws already discussed ... Anyway - Ground mounts only. Flying mounts make the world smaller and content easier. If flying mounts will make it into the game I'd rather want them to be extremally rare sight even after 10 years of playing - maybe make them exclusive to 10k+ pledgers (and devs obviously). 

• 1584 posts
    December 9, 2019 4:19 AM PST

Ground Mounts, with Ground mounts you cant simply *skip* content, even if it is well below or above you, you should always have the world feel as large as possible and flying mounts that makes everything feel small and pointless.

An interesting idea for Ground mounts as well could kind of act like a /follow option where the player could like attach their mount to another players mount that was in their party and act like a caravan of sorts of their own, just a thought technically i guess it is just /follow but it sounds pretty cool in my head, but i also just woke up.

But to further describe it have it to where you can *buy* a wagon from lets say your guildhall, and within cities and small villages and such there are these areas you can essentially summn your *wagon*, and have people have their mounts attach to them and have the one that summoned the wagon control where everyone else was going, but the wagon can't go off the roads and such so you can only travel from cities and villages and stop and than travel further from there without the wagon.  I actually have no idea if this is any good, to me is sounds pretty cool.

This post was edited by Cealtric at December 9, 2019 4:39 AM PST
    • 521 posts
    December 9, 2019 5:06 AM PST

Given the choice I’d say Ground mounts, not because I believe the fallacy of flying mounts skipping content, that can easily be solved with flying enemies or other dangers in the sky.

Ground mounts would be more practical to me, meaning I could see a horse trader in every city fitting in a bit better than a dragon trader.

• 724 posts
    December 9, 2019 5:07 AM PST
    Ground Mounts.

-You can be thrown off for (x) reason. Option for this eliminated if flying, as you would presumably die from damaged of fall.
    - I want to see them up close or see the riders colors/dress/ uglyness
    - world scale perspective is more consistent.
    - probabilities of being attacked seem greater if on ground
    - environment hazards more present
    - desire for the audio clues of wing flaps being an ominous sound , (fight or flight)
    - I don't want to glance upwards only to witness dangling Pegasus junk.
    • 107 posts
    December 9, 2019 5:09 AM PST
    Ground mounts, if we are talking about personal player owned mounts. I prefer the look and feel them. I'd rather be down in the environment/world rather than seeing it pass beneath me. However, where appropriate, air travel in something such as an airship might be an interesting way to travel to an elevated land or city. Give it a more lengthy travel time akin to the boats in EQ. But individual mounts---ground all the way. (And lore based, not ridiculous giant bunny mounts. I'm good with just horses, too.)
    • 1019 posts
    December 9, 2019 5:28 AM PST

Hegenox said:I thought this topic ws already discussed ... Anyway - Ground mounts only. Flying mounts make the world smaller and content easier. If flying mounts will make it into the game I'd rather want them to be extremally rare sight even after 10 years of playing - maybe make them exclusive to 10k+ pledgers (and devs obviously). 

It has:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2605/mounts

Or even more specifically this very question has:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2868/will-there-be-mounts

even this:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6763/mounts-and-travel

or:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/9564/summoned-mounts

This post was edited by Kittik at December 9, 2019 5:28 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    December 9, 2019 7:00 AM PST

Ground mounts for character controlled travel but flying mounts for public transportation. Or ships where it is over water. Or both.

I know this will not be LOTRO with rapid travel between dozens and dozens of places - and thank the Gods for that - but there will be some public transportation. Between continents with certainty and likely a bit more. Flying mounts and ships give some variety there with no risk of skipping content.

• 291 posts
    December 9, 2019 7:08 AM PST

dorotea said:

Ground mounts for character controlled travel but flying mounts for public transportation. Or ships where it is over water. Or both.

I know this will not be LOTRO with rapid travel between dozens and dozens of places - and thank the Gods for that - but there will be some public transportation. Between continents with certainty and likely a bit more. Flying mounts and ships give some variety there with no risk of skipping content.

This is an interesting perspective for me to consider. I used to hate anything on rails and I did everything in my power to push for free flying mounts in vg. After free flying mounts became a thing in many games I terribly regreted my prior position. Perhaps you need a flying mount on your ring or in your inventory to access the railed flying mount travel? That could be a fair compromise.

Outside of that ground mounts is the only thing that makes sense to me (at this time).

• 2419 posts
    December 9, 2019 7:18 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Community Debate - If you had to choose one to be in the game - Flying mounts or Ground mounts, and why? #MMORPG #CommunityMatters

Ground.

First off, this had better not be some backhanded way of getting people's hopes up that either will be in this game especially since VR has made it a point time and time again that travel is to be meaningful.  Mounts do away with that.

Now, as for why ground vs air? Simple.  Ground mounts still require you to traverse the land, land that is filled with NPCs (many of which want to kill you).   So while you may move faster than most, there is still the risk, albeit so low as to be zero, you can get caught and killed.  Flying mounts lets you bypass content.  There is no air based content in this game that we've seen and even if there was, it probably would not be of sufficient density to be dangerous.

• 768 posts
    December 9, 2019 7:20 AM PST

Ground mount with reasons  listed in Kittik's reply.

If there is a floating/swimming mount... I might prefer that. Seaturtles, mantas, seabirds, aquatic monsters, eels, ... the possibilities are nearly endless. As long as it's not one of those bouncing mounts in the water, those are plain annoying.

Edit; heck I forgot seahorses and crocs, water monitors

This post was edited by Barin999 at December 9, 2019 7:24 AM PST
    • 1479 posts
    December 9, 2019 9:20 AM PST

Ground mount of course.

It's a matter of not screwing the design of zone and not create useless skipping methods that remove the difficulty and coherence of zones.

If flying mounts have to be implemented somehow, it would require numerous watchmens NPC to shoot you down, and that would require way too much work to design zones and think about all angles you should be allowed to come from, and shouldn't.

• 2138 posts
    December 9, 2019 10:06 AM PST

Ground mounts

Racial ability to "train" certain types, but can be expanded to train other types outside of racial ability. That way you can have exotic mounts from far away places.

"trash" mobs have the potential to become a mount depending on your skill/ability.

Mounts are not allowed in Dungeons, but need to be tied off outside and will wait. If not provisioned, will wander away. if they wander away they will bee-line it back to their home area and re-become "trash" mobs.

Mounts have abilities/benefits/extra storage space:

For instance a tortoise moves slow, but has greater carrying capacity and does not need alot of food but veggies will have it survive for a long time; better on dessert lousy in forest. Snake is medium fast in water or land and can climb, no carrying capacity, needs alot of food- fresh meat prefered, drawback is sineous nature- you may get dizzy from riding it from all the side-to-side movement. Boar is fast, can be outfitted as a war boar with armors if you are dwarven racial and will assist in attack- one blow when you attack as you dismount then it stops, eats anything but must be fed, carrying capacity is small. Donkey/goat: moves medium slow but can move in all environments, needs no provision as it can graze, a carrot on a stick however will get it to move at running pace but only for so long, carying capacity is large. 

Mounts cannot attack (except the racial benefit to the boar above). mounts can die if attacked by NPC's. Mounts will wander off if not cared for (Mini Tamagotchi effect?) could satisfy vanity needs for those wanting "pets"

Near towns mounts must be stabled for a fee.

(mounts can go "rogue" if mistreated over a certain period of time? and become nasty undercons? if mistreated they will return to home area but will be named as "abandoned" lion instead of "a lion" 

One can hope. 

• 1785 posts
    December 9, 2019 10:34 AM PST

Ground mounts - for many reasons that others have said, but maybe also one that's unique.

One of my best memories of Vanguard - a very open-world game - was when I got my first horse.  Sure, it got me from town to town a little faster.  But far more than that it just felt right in a world of that scale.  My horse was my trusted exploring companion, accompanying me on adventures great and small.

So, from a "feel" perspective - ground mounts feel right when zones are big and vast and open.  Flying mounts on the other hand can easily make the world feel too small.  Thus, I choose ground mounts.

Besides, it would be weird to have flying mounts but not have ground mounts, unless the game world was all a bunch of floating islands in the sky or something.

• 1281 posts
    December 9, 2019 10:53 AM PST

I would prefer no mounts, but that is not an option.

Therefore I have no choice but to choose ground-mounts only. I just don't want to be seperated from the content. Plus I am scorned because EverQuest had a horrible mount implimentation and it really ruined acceptance of mounts for me. Vanguard was better, but I still would prefer no mounts.

• 200 posts
    December 9, 2019 12:38 PM PST
    Kilsin is going to lock this thread in 3...2...1
    • 2038 posts
    December 9, 2019 12:48 PM PST

I choose ground mounts because they are less overpowered than flying ones. To keep them that way, they should:

At most, only be able to go where players on foot can go. Preferably not be able to go SOME places that a player on foot could go (steep inclines, broken ground, fields of boulders, etc). Ideally, only be able to go on roads and/or flat, open ground.

Not be usable in cities or towns, or if there is a roof over your head - Buildings, caves, dungeons, boats, airships, etc.

You should be just as vulnerable to attack while riding as while running. Anything that would attack you when you're on foot should have a chance to dismount you when attacking. Any mob that is higher level than you should be VERY likely to succeed at dismounting you.

If you are encumbered, the mount is encumbered. Too encumbered and the mount bucks you off :)

No significant storage capacity on your mount. A mount is not a packmule. If you want a horse & wagon, it should go SLOWER than a player on foot.

Mounts should be just as affected by climate/atmosphere/weather as players AND have one or more vulnerabilities that players on foot do not have. (I haven't thought of any good ones yet, but it should be a thing)

If you 'abuse' your mount excessively (trying to ride where you shouldn't, repeatedly trying to ride thru groups of higher con mobs in hopes of beating the RNG, riding too long at max encumberance) then the mount can be injured or even die. Injuries are expensive to heal, death is permanent. You have to buy another. (I don't advocate for death from simple exploration, just want to discourage trying to 'cheat' the limits on using a mount)

Make the acquiring of a mount be later in the game. Certaily not before getting half way to level cap. Perhaps even higher.  Don't retreat from "Travel should be meaningful". So no mounts available until a player has reached a level where they regularly NEED to travel long distances as part of their char. development and questing.

Mounts certainly don't need to be horses on Terminus. But PLEASE don't make it like WoW where critters that look as though they should be a boss encounter can be tamed as a mount. If races/regions have different mounts, keep the correlation. If Dark Myr can ride seahorses, then ONLY Dark Myr should ride them - and nothing else.

And as many others have said, I'd be fine with no mounts.

• 159 posts
    December 9, 2019 1:21 PM PST
    If we are talking universal use - ground mounts only - with a 100% chance to dismount on damage or equivalent to prevent from just running through mobs.

Flying mounts ruin everything about the game world imo.

That being said, a zone or quest specifically designed around a limited use flying mount could be exciting and fun.
    • 1247 posts
    December 9, 2019 4:38 PM PST

I would prefer no mounts to be honest. The mounted hordes in WoW come to mind where it winds up being everyone just sitting on mounts - they looked terrible in cities too. Something about it damages immersion to me. :)

#communitymatters #makenightmatteragain #factionsmatter #riskvsreward #deathpenalty #HardRaiding #respectyourguild #HellLevels #flowersofhappiness #worldsnotgames #aradune 

• 53 posts
    December 9, 2019 5:02 PM PST

Ground Mounts.

Also, the mounts would have a MUCH larger argo radius since they are larger and probably noiser tham the average character. Thus, you would have a trade off, move quicker but be attacked (and dismounted) more often.

• December 9, 2019 6:43 PM PST
    No flying mounts ever. The world becomes trivial and silly with them.
    • 68 posts
    December 10, 2019 1:50 PM PST

Ground mounts. I feel the flying make the world smaller and bypast danger.

• 2038 posts
    December 10, 2019 2:28 PM PST

Laeril said:

Also, the mounts would have a MUCH larger argo radius since they are larger and probably noiser tham the average character.

Good point. I'd add that to my list of conditions for ground mounts.

• 291 posts
    December 10, 2019 2:32 PM PST

Hmm larger aggro radius while on a mount actually makes a TON of sense.

• 1428 posts
    December 10, 2019 2:40 PM PST

ground mounts for pvp reasons.  you can run, but you can't fly... or was it hide?