Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Character biological climate acclimation

• 724 posts
    December 8, 2019 10:42 AM PST
    I have been seeing some fine and thoughtfully discussed topics here with people spending considerable time and effort to be clear in their ideas or concerns.
    So I was wondering. If my character was to be traveling from a cold damp environment, having no immunization or acclimation stats, to a dry and colder environment, is there a way to express how dry and crusty my characters boogers would be?

Thank you for you time
    StoneFish
    • 291 posts
    December 8, 2019 10:50 AM PST

If you REALLY want that I suppose you can use your imagination to that end. If you REALLY want that coded into the game I think your generations ahead of your time, funny or not.

• 291 posts
    December 8, 2019 10:52 AM PST

You want God level game code. =p

• 159 posts
    December 8, 2019 12:01 PM PST

Can confirm.

My 1 year old came in from outside (20 deg ice/snow) to inside my house (temperate climate, full of dust and germs) - crusty boogers level 5000.

• 520 posts
    December 8, 2019 12:03 PM PST

That stuff would be pointless in this game - it would cause ohhs and ahhs in games like RDR perhaps, but in Pantheon where there are ton of things that they could and should focus on earlier?

• 291 posts
    December 8, 2019 12:08 PM PST

Hegenox said:

That stuff would be pointless in this game - it would cause ohhs and ahhs in games like RDR perhaps, but in Pantheon where there are ton of things that they could and should focus on earlier?

I think the OP is just trying to be funny/light hearted. Pretty confident no one wants ingame boogers just like they dont want them in life.

• 520 posts
    December 8, 2019 12:19 PM PST

Alyonyah said:

Hegenox said:

I think the OP is just trying to be funny/light hearted. Pretty confident no one wants ingame boogers just like they dont want them in life.

Makes sense. I had a rough day and right now my ability to think is temporarily impaired.

• 724 posts
    December 8, 2019 1:18 PM PST

I completely agree with HEGENOX this is totally unnecessary.
    • 724 posts
    December 8, 2019 1:19 PM PST
    Kass, lol, level 5000 boogers.
    • 159 posts
    December 8, 2019 1:27 PM PST

StoneFish said: I completely agree with HEGENOX this is totally unnecessary.

I LoL'd , still giggling.

I like a good discussion where a well thought out response changes the OP's opinion.

• 724 posts
    December 10, 2019 1:58 AM PST
    In all seriousness I wouldn't mind a sickness to befall us if we changed climate too fast.
    Think the bends while scuba diving
    • 520 posts
    December 10, 2019 4:06 AM PST

Reminds me a bit of Outward - where if we stayed too long in extreme climate without any protection we would get sick. So running during winter, without source of heat (torch) and drinking hot tea would get us cold and staying too long in the desert sun would make us overheat (dehydrate?).

• 1281 posts
    December 10, 2019 5:36 AM PST

All of this said, we, as people, *DO* naturally acclimatize (within limits) to areas that we live in, over time.  Should our toons do the same?  Obviously, there would be limits, but some innate acclimation should be a thing.

• 1315 posts
    December 10, 2019 5:59 AM PST

Depending on how the over-time acclimatization functions I could see either an extra penalty or longer time to fully acclimatize if you go from say a fire/heat zone that you are fully acclimatized to an ice/cold zone that you are basically negatively acclimatized.

• 752 posts
    December 10, 2019 6:25 AM PST
    I am not so quick to dismiss this train of thought. Joke or not. While i do not expect to see crusty boogers- i can imagine some form of visual representation of an extreme dry/heat environment. It is easier with ice/cold environs to visualize frost buildup on a character armor/body. So i definitely think that if the team has not discussed the opposing climate visuals then they will need to at some point. My guess is they have a good idea how they want to visualize them, but wont know specifically know until the artists put concept to paper.
    • 159 posts
    December 10, 2019 8:04 AM PST
    @Kalok

I think that makes a lot of sense to naturally acclimatize over time. On the other hand, just cause you live in the cold, doesn't mean that over time you begin to resist cold - more that you understand your capabilities/limitations in the cold and are more confident to and capable of pushing through the adversity.

Either way, I think a small amount of natural acclimation would be cool to have. I would like to see it more thought out than simply how much time you stand in X climate though, so that way you cant just afk and build your acclimation. Maybe if it was tied to questing or accomplishing something in said zone.
    • 291 posts
    December 10, 2019 8:07 AM PST

Just off the top of my head... the dwarves have innate cold, and dark myr have innate pressure acclimation. Is this not indication that they are implementing these variables to some degree already?

• 1428 posts
    December 10, 2019 8:39 AM PST

Alyonyah said:

Just off the top of my head... the dwarves have innate cold, and dark myr have innate pressure acclimation. Is this not indication that they are implementing these variables to some degree already?

yea it's gonna do a variety of stuff like slower movement speed, increased casting times, slower attack speed, dealing reduced damage, taking increased damage.  there was a newsletter that joppa went into it.  we now can discern more after the racial releases, if you're feeling a bit like a detective XD

• 2040 posts
    December 10, 2019 2:50 PM PST

Kalok said:

All of this said, we, as people, *DO* naturally acclimatize (within limits) to areas that we live in, over time.  Should our toons do the same?  Obviously, there would be limits, but some innate acclimation should be a thing.

I have a vague recollection of someone -maybe Joppa - saying that our chars will gain a small amount of acclimation just from spending time (presumably without dying) in a climate area. It didn't suggest that this would in any way replace getting glyphs.